How does Heat alter dynamics?

I tend to avoid compression. I try to get transients right at the source, and I use bus compression very sparingly. I do however route all sorts of things through my Korgasmatron (dual analog filter with clipping circuit), and I like how if you get the settings right the big transient peaks get flattened but sort of replaced by a nice analog clipping sound.

So my question is how you feel your transients are treated by the Heat. Do you use Heat as a dirty limiter? Do any of the circuits have soft-knee characteristics?

I must say I have not enough knowledge to really answer you right know.
All I can say is that with the three levels (drive, FX level, wet level) + EQ and the numerous distorsions you can polish your sound very precisely.
Add now the multi mode filter, and I canā€™t see how you would not be able to tailor the sound exactly the way you want. And find a zillion interesting sweet spots in while looking for it.
:smile:

Iā€™ve fallen in love with how this little box can really transform the sound that get through it for the better, in amazing ways you wouldnā€™t imagine on the paper.

1 Like

You can definitely get straight up distortion / clipping / dirty limiting with AH. That will give the effect you describe: peaks are ā€˜replacedā€™ by clipping. Iā€™m not sure about the exact characteristics of the eight different distortion circuits. I just use my ears. :slight_smile:

The filter also has ā€˜driveā€™ which can add another level of distortion.

However, the AH can go far beyond that: You can have the envelope follower modulate the wet/dry mix or the wet level to get a combination of compression / clipping that really doesnā€™t sound like anything else. For me, this is where the magic is. :smiley:

It goes on from there.

1 Like

With drive/wet/ratio controls on HEAT you can control dynamic very accurately: you can have almost no effect on dynamic and very transparent transient response to completely crushed soundā€¦up to you. I canā€™t answer for sure, but for me ā€œsoft distortionsā€ (those on the left side) have soft-knee like characteristics, and you can obtain very nice subtle ā€œrounded/analogā€ percussive sounds out of it.