How do you video record you jams?

Lo-fi solutions always work best (:slight_smile:

I second the straight-via-usb-into-iphone method, as it’s the simplest route. All that is needed is a lightning-to-usb-adapter thingy, then record video via Camera app and voilá.

Oh and some solution to secure your phone while recording ofc.

:v:t4:

2 Likes

Another thing I wonder about when seeing a fellow parent engaging in music making: how do you make time for jamming on your gear whilst raising kid(s) and holding down a full-time job? :slight_smile:

1 Like

RCA -> 1/8” cable from my mixer into my Canon M6, Sometimes with an extension cable if I’m shooting with a long lens.

Tempted to get a Q2n 4K.

1 Like

Happy to help! I use FL Studio. I don’t think it matters which DAW you pick, they’re all good. I just happened to start with FL, and I really like it.

And yep, I use the free version of DaVinci Resolve. It has everything I need to make my videos, including the tutorials with a dense text overlay and animations.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thankfully I can work from home, freeing up 3 hours that would’ve gone to commuting. My kid goes to bed around 7, I’m done with chores around 8, so I have a few hours most nights to make music if I’d like.
Also, I sleep too late and wake up too early, which is bad. And I stopped working out after becoming a father, so there’s another hour at least (My job allows 2 hours of exercise during work per week, so I try to take advantage of that). I’m honestly surprised I managed to beat Elden Ring in a bit over a month :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the great reply! I used my lightning adapter today, but the sound seems too low, obviously on the headphones from the Digitakt while it’s recording is fine. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the reply. I got the lightning adapter today and yeah it records fine which is great, but the audio recording didn’t seem the best and quite low in volume, is there an extract setting I need to adjust?

I managed to set it all up and record, thanks again. The only issue is the recording quality seems really low when I play it back on the iPad and headphones, any other setting I need to set?

1 Like

When you say the quality is low what do you mean?

If you play it back after unplugging it will be at regular volume.

Playing back through your Elektron machine will be very low.

Or are you saying the volume is low even after you unplug everything? It should record at a set volume, as USB class compliant audio should.

Mind you make sure you phones volume is at half or more. I tend to playback at 3/4 volume on my Android phone. USB audio is not boosted.

So desperately did I want this simple solution to work for me! However, about half the time when I record into my phone, the audio gets corrupted. I got so frustrated losing recordings that I started recording audio separately from video and then sync’ing with DaVinci Resolve. It sucks, but I guess it beats spending a couple hundred bucks on a Zoom recorder…

Thanks for the reply, so do you record in to Overbridge then sync in Davinci?

That’s strange. Have you tried a different dongle by another maker? I hear sometimes these adapters aren’t super reliable…

This is what I have heard as well. Especially lightning cables for some reason. It doesn’t really make sense… but it also doesn’t surprise me.

Probably why people recommend the camera connection kit and the Elektron provided cable for lightning restricted devices.

I got lucky with my USB-B to USB-C cables.

EDIT: Potentially disregard since it seems an Apple adapter is being used here.

This is a new one by Apple, I think it must be a settle somewhere my end.

I recording into REAPER actually. My weapon of choice is the Octatrack, so no Overbridge for me.

I have not, no. Do you have any recommendations? I have an iRig Stream at the moment and, like I said, it’s hit-and-miss… It’s possible that my cellular is the problem, it’s quite old at this point.

I use this one here, bought on Amazon (in Germany), made by a company called Yuesuo I think. Haven’t had any problems with it so far…

Hmm that’s interesting - quite different from the iRig that I have. I’ll take a look into this, thank you!

1 Like

I used to record USB direct into my Android phone, and used a “pro” camera app which allowed you to select USB audio in.

I’ve since switched to iPhone (due to Aum, Koala etc being too tempting) and there’s a weirdly specific order you need to plug everything in isn’t there? I wouldn’t mind that if the camera app also showed that USB audio was selected. Which means I’m always on edge whether USB audio is recording.

Is there a “pro” camera app for iPhone which allows you to select / visually confirm the audio is being recorded (and iPhone built-in mic is disabled)?

The girlfriend and I decided we didn’t want kids. The kids weren’t too happy about that.

4 Likes