How do you use conditional triggers?

I found them surprisingly powerful for coming up with ideas that just made you think in different ways, when building a pattern. The random parts were always less interesting to me, compared to the way you could use the conditionals to just build on a pattern’s variation, introduction or exit. It reminds me a bit of traditional sheet music, which has its own set of conditionals in it, like second time around-things, da capos, improvised arpeggios and stuff. Them Mozarts and Beethovens knew what they were doing when they implemented an early draft of conditionals in the work.

2 Likes

I don’t tend to use the percentage conditionals much on the stuff I’ve done so far, but I do use the others quite a bit, especially to add variety to toms and vocal snatches to extend beyond the 4 bar pattern length.

1 Like

Lets say you have a 4-bar pattern, 64 steps.

Use 4:4 on some notes on the 4th bar - this is like having a drum fill at the 16th bar.
2:2 on a 4-bar pattern is then like having the fill at the 8th bar.
2:3 is then a 12-bar fill.

Combining these, you can have different fills at bar 8, 12 and 16 - in effect, you have defined a 16-bar pattern, not a 4 bar one.

But the fun only starts here. Using random %-trigs, you add a few ghost notes with lower velocity here and there, or a completely different sound using the per note sound, and you can create variations such that bars do not repeat at all, but still maintain the overall groove.

2 Likes

HalutioN made something regarding the OT and mimic TC (Workaround of course)

After spending a couple of years with my Digitakt and later Digitone I realized that I never really used NEI trig conditions. I understand how they work, just wondering how do people use them?

There must be some interesting use cases and ideas

1 Like

Ask @Neimad, he goes crazy with NEI. :wink:

With DN, and NEI probably usefull to make bigger conditional chords on 2 tracks without increasing their poly allocation?
Alternate chords with /NEI…

2 Likes

haha I see what ya did der!

1 Like

This thread is so useful for an elektron newbie like me. :fire:

I use them to make patterns sound less static.

Somewhat begrudgingly.

Ah thanks for sharing, I love that track!