How do you route effects with overbridge?

I got a very nice setup with digitakt/ableton push 2/an old Korg triton last night, where I can basically play the korg or an ableton synth from any of the three devices and program directly onto the clock synced DT.

I’m working with my monitor completely off and treating the push like a stand-alone synth - which is great.

Anyway - I am wondering how you folks deal with the digitakt’s effects? I’ve got the DT effects setup in ableton going out through its own channel, but I ended up turning that down, and adding reverb and delays directly to the overbridge channels or as send fx (in ableton via push). Something about having all the digitakt’s effects mashed together in one channel seemed like it would be something I’d regret if I ended up finishing a track this way. I love the DTs effects though so it’s a shame not to use them.

Any thoughts?

I tend to just not use the DTs effects, monitor it through ableton from the get go, and set up effects there. I have plug ins I prefer to the DT effects though tbh.

(I kinda find the DT delay a bit of a pig to use as it’s almost TOO open to doing crazy stuff.)

If you already got something how you like it with the DT effects, I would just mute the other channels from the master and record that track out on it’s own with the effects baked in.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I had. It was late when I got it all working, but I think I noticed that the overdrive was also not part of the per-channel sound (and was separated out with the effects)

Am I wrong about that?

I do like the immediacy of the crazyness of the dt delay!

i think you are wrong about the overdrive tbh, pretty sure it’s just the send effects that don’t come through.

Overbridge output is pro level (i.e. a lot lower than everyone is in the bad habit of mixing in the box) so maybe gives the impression it’s gone?

yeah - it was late! I did find that the output from hy headphones was very low - I had to crank it up to basically max on the audio interface… which is probably good because I turned everything else down!

only a couple of times have i used the DT’s fx channel on a separate track in a mix, usually when it sounded okay as is. usually, i just skip it entirely when recording via overbridge and add vst effects. sometimes, if whatever sequence feels complete enough in the DT, i’ll just automate track mutes and such in ableton for a one-take recording all the way through.

1 Like