How do you release your music?

Hi all,

Just trying to share more with the world. I spend a lot of time with music/sounds, audio engineering, music theory, the machines, art making, noodling/jamming, DJ’ing etc. basically I want to be good at the craft and ultimately share/sell my music or use it in a DJ set. But I’ve been struggling to find the way to do it properly.

So far the idea is make the songs, have them mastered, put it together in package… then what? Do I release it on my own label… if so that would mean I need to make a label which seems like a lot of work to do right and potentially a distraction at this point. Or do I just make an artist name and upload the tracks to bandcamp etc?

I’m not trying to get paid yet mainly focusing on learning, process building, and doing it the right way.

Being on a label doesn’t really mean what it used to - at least in the electronic world. Most are more like collections of friends and likeminded individuals who play shows together and raise funds to press vinyl or whatever. I guess some will “sign” artists as purely a business practice, but those are usually predatory.

With that said it only makes sense to “start your own label” if you want to work with other people. If you just want to release your own music digitally then do it through something like Distrokid. After that you can promote it however you like (gigging, doing DJ sets, releasing mixes etc). That’s been my approach.

2 Likes
1 Like