How do you record your RYTM?

Hi you smart and beautiful people,

I have a Rytm mkii that is the main brain of my system. It sequences my sh01 and I run some effects thru my 404. I accompany it with electric bass. I have an apogee duet to record.

My question is… what’s the best and easiest way to record these with only 2input interface to my computer?

I have overbridge worked out but it doesn’t sound as good as the left and right out from the Rytm into my apogee. Ideally I’d like to keep everything sequenced.

Do any of y’all have experience with midi and recording into logic or protocols then sending that midi data back out to record a sequenced sh01 and other gear?

2 Likes

I think the most important question to ask next is “what do you want to do with the recordings?”

If you’re happy with how the main outs sound, and you’re happy just to have a 2-channel recording in your DAW, just do that. Don’t get hung up on someone else’s technical process until you have a genuine need to modify your own.

If you’re planning to do detailed mixdowns, edits and processing in your DAW, then we’ll all need to help you with suggestions and options.

I should’ve been more clear. The tracks are being set to video, so ideally I’d like individual control over the drums tracks, bass, and synth tracks. Individually.

1 Like

I’ve done both class compliant audio out of it (track by track, to get them all individually) and individual outs all at once into an RME interface. while the RYTM’s conversion is perfectly usable, I also don’t blame you for preferring the Duet route…

if you want individual instruments and you prefer the Duet’s conversion to the RYTM’s, you’ll have to do multiple takes to record them all. which I don’t mind personally, but it could really screw up your workflow; depends upon how you’re approaching the RYTM and your track I guess.

also remember that L/R output into your Duet would be running through the RYTM compressor, whereas I think individual outs via Overbridge wouldn’t. likewise, the individual analog outputs wouldn’t use the compressor. not saying that’s accounting for your impression of the L/R output sounding better, but maybe… also you’ll need to make up for this lack of compression (if you want it) if you go the multiple individual takes route.

3 Likes

Right.

So how do I record midi info from my Rytm into logic or pro tools. Then, send that midi back out when I’m overdubbing? I want to then record my synth part and MIDI bass parts separately

you should be able to use your RYTM as a midi in/out device from either DAW.

Cant you just multitrack by syncing the rytm to your daw and then recording every track (including the ones sequenced by rytm midi out) by soloing those tracks? I dont see the need to record the midi tracks as midi…

1 Like

I’ve done this Ableton Live 11, but not the DAWs you mention

I set each track to send midi info on the RYTM , then configured Ableton to use the RYTM as a midi source. Create a midi track in the DAW, set it take input from the midi track (1,2,3 etc) of the RYTM, hit record on the midi track when I play the RYTM, record that tracks midi. Set it up so you have a midi track-per-RYTM track and you record all the midi. I an not sat at that machine right now, so apologies if my memory is incorrect, I may have used Overbridge for this, or maybe I didn’t have to since RYTM sends midi over USB.

EDIT: I recorded the midi because I wanted to edit it/re-sequence the RYTM, and also because I wanted to try sequence other drum racks with the stuff on the RYTM. It’s a fair few months back, so my memory is hazy

2 Likes

here are a couple of screenshots of my ARmkii project template, if it helps

Arm all the midi channels for recording, and set the transport playing the AR, and you capture all the sequencer midi. I don’t know if you get the parameter automation, or just the “notes”. IIRC I only cared about the notes.

1 Like

Not sure why Overbridge should sound less good… I use Overbridge to record each track from the Rytm incl. the external in. Latency is better than my audio interface. Volume is low via USB but I either add a couple of db on the track (Ableton EQ) or edit each wave file after recording. For me this is the perfect solution. Also I have more free inputs left on my audio interface :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe its a volume issue… i just remember comparing the apogee 1 and 2 inputs to the multitracked overbridge recording and it just didnt sound as together. Perhaps Overbridge was not passing is thru the compressor? does overbridge record all the master fx on each channel?

Anyway, chiasticon was correct … Midi over usb to the Rytm from Logic.

I think Ill give Overbridge another crack though too and see if it is really just a volume discrepancy. I havent used overbridge since the latest update anyways so Im overdue

I have resorted to recording track by track and mixing each track in Logic. I usually group the kick and snare with a compressor and effects.

I like the sound of recording directly to stereo, but the mastering is never as clear as I would like.

A few examples

2 Likes

If you haven’t changed the audio configuration in the Rytm then the Stereo Master will have compressor and other effects. All individual audio outs do not have any effects. You can decide in the settings if you want to route the individual out sends to the master or not. I usually disable the Master out which is on the overbridge track in Ableton and then create 8 Audio channels for the Rytm and use the effects from Ableton, compressor, delays and reverbs. Each track has an EQ with +6db gain, I can’t tell you if this is good or not but it works for me… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was clarified in another thread (don’t ask me which one), that multi-track recordig individual outs from overbridge does bypass the analog master compressor.

To have or not have an analog compressor on a sound would clearly affect it