How do you pair the Syntakt with other midi devices

I wish I didn’t have to do this but I’m not able to make anything work. I have a fader fox pc4 and I want to use it with my new Syntakt. I have uploaded presets into the FaderFox, hooked midi in the FaderFox and midi out the syntakt and I can’t seem to set it up right. I have been trying to make this work for months now.
There are TONS of videos on YT but none show the actual setup except for one video but it’s the Octatrack, the information is not the same.
Please help. I just want to know how to set it up.
FYI - I have never been able to make the fader fox work with anything before. I am a total noob.

1 Like

@slicetwo, @Humanprogram may chime in…

Midi is a standard.

Choose the parameters you want to control on Syntakt (CCs list in manual). Set them on the Faderfox (manual).

Use appropriate midi channels to control each track independently. Default are 1-13.
You can also control active track only with channel 14.

Try with 1 parameter first, to check if it works (right CC, channel, midi cable connection)

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re saying here that you connected a cable from the IN of the faderfox to the OUT of the syntakt, but if you did, it needs to be the other way around. Out from the faderfox to in of syntakt.

4 Likes

Thank you. I saw that set up in a video and thought that was the correct way to set it up.

Worth reading up on basic MIDI routing, that will give you a base of general knowledge that you can then apply to do this kind of troubleshooting in the future. MIDI connections are like audio, you are sending a signal from an output to an input, so the thing you intend to control (Syntakt) needs to receive signal from the thing you’re sending control data from (Faderfox). Hence: Faderfox OUT to Syntakt IN.

If you can see that device is sending MIDI signal into the Faderfox it might be to pass through or merge data - for example, I have a Faderfox set up with a Nord Modular and an Octatrack. The Faderfox output goes into the MIDI input of the Nord so I have encoders to control my patches. The Octatrack MIDI output goes into the MIDI input of the Faderfox, but it’s just to pass through clock and note data to the Nord.

2 Likes

Thank you. The amount of information is overwhelming.

1 Like

@sezare56 is right.

I got you covered. First, watch my video: Using your DAW with Elektron boxes without Overbridge (Tutorial) - YouTube

Then download the attached file. It’s my Sysex setup file for the EC4 with all the mappings already mostly setup for the ST. It also has setups for the DN, Micromonsta2, and some other shit I use in my rig. It has pages for all the macro controls, as well as each track and an autochannel. You can upload it to the online EC4 editor with your device hooked up to your computer to see how all the mappings are setup. It’s easier than doing it on the controller. It’s currently setup with the ST tracks 1-12 on MIDI tracks 1-12. I forget to what channels the FX/Auto/etc. are set. I also attached my current ST project template I always use, so everything is mapped on the EC4 based on that. Maybe load it up and see if they both work together. Then you know it’s all good.

Then you ask me any other questions you have, and if shit gets too complicated, we’ll setup a video chat using Google Meet or something and I’ll get you squared away. The ST/EC4 is an absolutely amazing combo.

Also, make sure you’re using the MIDI adaptor that came with your EC4 as it’s different than the others. I think it’s TRSB as opposed to the more common TRSA. As other people said, also be sure you’re going from Faderfox OUTPUT to Syntakt INPUT.

EC4 Syntakt Template (179.4 KB)

ST Project (4.2 KB)

8 Likes

What an amazing community this is. :heart:

5 Likes

…have a look here…ur on the right way…ur about to set up a pandora box…it’s a killer combo…

…and all u need at first, is one midi cable from the controler’s output to st’s midi in…
only downside here, but there’s no way around it, in any further hw setup, ur st must give OUT the master sync clock…but no big loss, since any whishes for dedicated midi tracks would kill one of ur machine tracks on the st anyways…if that bothers u, u gonna add the perfect partner to ur s takt sooner than later anyways, the d takt…than u got it ALL covered…a sampler with 8 additional and individual midi tracks to trigger whatever might cross ur ballpark…plus that analog meets digital monster ur about to open up in it’s expressive realtime capabilities like hellfire…

ahh, and one more thing…once u got ur controler setup right, save that st project as a blank to always start from there…

3 Likes

I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again! It makes life easier, it’s easy to do, and it don’t cost anything but time!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I think I finally figured it out. Much appreciated

1 Like

Thank you! I think I figured it out. I appreciate the help!

1 Like

Hell yeah.

Loosely related, but aside from the FX block and filter/distortion, does the Syntakt have any advantage over the Digitone or Digitakt as an audio interface? I usually don’t engage with any of the effects when running my Virus through it, but the audio comes out slightly louder than when using the other boxes. Are you getting a similar effect to bouncing your synths through other analog gear, regardless of whether you use the distortion?

This seems like a good place to ask - does ST send retrigs over midi?

No I don’t think any of the Digi boxes do. The MIDI LFO is limited to 32x speed, as well.

2 Likes

How does the fader fox handle “midi pickup” values. Lets say on Bank1 Pattern1, for the first track your Freq cutoff is set at 77 - when you perform on the fader fox and the value of the pot is 0 does it only start affecting the filter Req after it has reached 77 ? This is even more important when setting levels and switching patterns and banks.

What external midi controllers are better at this “pick up” values, like providing visual feedback or being able to read the patch from the synth and always start at the correct value. i.e. no jump in value of the cc.

…afaik, faderfoxes can set to instant AND/OR catch current values…

I think they are endless encoders called gridless push-encoders.

Sadly I don’t think any Elektron boxes are capable of sending this data, at least not when requested.