How do you like playing the octatrack live?

I try to focus on the most important element of live performance: the music. I can’t be all things to all people. But also I suppose it is good to self-critique and ask myself how I can add more to the performance aspect. Which after some experience, just means be myself and interact. Which I actually enjoy.
I think sometimes, topics like this, we tend to get a little too self-aware…
I specifically got the OT for live performance. It keeps me busy. Everything, for the most part, is written on it and I like the ability to go completely sideways with the material if I choose. But mostly I was performing “songs” and not jamming on a theme throughout, might go about 50/50 on that now that I know my way around.
It really is getting up there for a limited time and everything clicking, sometimes it don’t.
Sometimes You and The Moment wander off and you are trying to reel it back. Sometimes you see yourself doing what you are doing and your mind goes blank or wanders off, it’s really freaky. Sometimes you “really was feeling it” that night and someone told you a PA speaker wasn’t working the whole time, or you listen to the tape and cringe.
So, yeah, I try to suspend the judgments of others, as well as the judgments of myself.

3 Likes

I did my first gig with OT last August along with accomplices playing a drum pad and a bongo. In most tracks I used all the OT audio tracks , sequenced a bass station and clocked a Mfb drum machine. and 2 effects units with OT sending program changes to 5 devices. On a couple of tracks the drum machine sequence didn’t start on beat, so I hit CNTRL + two patterns. let them alternate for a couple of bars, hit the main pattern and the drm synced as should. I also learned to switch out of edit mode when not required! I brushed a controller knob and sent the bass station out of tune! I didn’t know what the fuck I had done for few moments/ Otherwise we got lots of applause and positive feedback from strangers. Next gig in February.

For the nect gig I’m planning on using Nord G2 engine and leaving out the DRM and Bass Station.

At the moment I’m using the master channel with compressor, but plan to switch gig project to studio mode, and put drums on outs 3+4 and into HW compressor.

4 Likes

…live electronica, no matter what style, means in first place only one thing…the stuff the audience is about to hear is made by U…that’s it…

don’t worry about too much complexity within ur music without an equality in action to be seen on stage…

computers and controlers are the safe way to do it…but if ur not an obvious perfomer for real, that ends up pretty boring in most cases…another guy/girl checking mail on stage…

my current live rig seems to be the final solution to me, after years and years of different setups…

an ot with master track 8 compressor on, a mic with tc vocal fx and a dtone…both external sources summed up by the ot…ot master out through an analog heat…heat output direct to foh mix or a dj mixer of the house…rocks any venue…no matter what…

if u have any kind of computer based background in producing music but wanna avoid a computer on or just hidden behind the stage, ot is the only way out of the dilemma…

in fact, the ot makes me feel like a guitar hero, because it is a real music instrument made to perform and drive the audience nuts…even if u just use it as an ableton in the box device…
and don’t get me started, what it can do in the studio for u…
my computers are only tapemachines these days…final arrange and mix devices…but that’s it…all sources are hardware in first place that need to be recorded first…

overall simplicity in music compositions is a beauty, but complexity is no enemy to be afraid of…
and if some lines on stage just come out of a box without any chance to “play” them, hey, predict and make some weird dance move along with it…worx the same…promise…

5 Likes

Does anyone know if the octrack can be configured to use drum trigger inputs like the the machine drum.

I have a Roland Cy-5 drum pad set up to trigger a machine drum channel, but I don’t want to take both boxes on the road because of weight and space.

…ot talks midi only…so u’ll need any drum to midi converter…dunno what that roland drum module can do with it’s drum trigger informations…but the nord drum modules are awesome drum to midi converters with the biggest synthdrumsounds that are also very good in mocking accustic like drumsounds capabilities…and all that expresses very nice to smallest velocity changes while working smoothly within a very small footprint…ideal for small travelling setups…
and whatever u’r drumming along, those trigger informations are all translated into midi notes in realtime also…
oh, now that i mention this…never tried to run my nord drum module 1 with an ot…just as a soundmodule…let’s see…that one would still fit into my live rig…

1 Like