How do you keep your gear clean?

That’s hilarious! Sadly a lot of my ‘vintage’ gear doesn’t need any extra effort to look like crap.:frowning_face:

1 Like

Dust is a fine metric to measure whether you should sell a piece of gear or not.

10 Likes

:thinking::roll_eyes:

i MIGHT have been impressed and slightly amused if he had the balls to do that with a MOOG One.
shameful…SHAMEFUL waste of a beer.

FYI, I recently got a new Dyson Pure Cool Link air purifier to help with allergies, and it has cut dust in my place considerably. Some people have joked that it’s like living in a clean room. Not cheap, but it might be something to consider.

Question and sorry to revive an old thread that already has answers…

I’m in Oregon and we’re having terrible fires which equals smoke being blown into my apartment. Is there an alternative way to clean off ash on a synth? I have a Novation Summit and Elektron A4 that got covered since I wasn’t home and had windows open.

I have a few microfiber sunglass cloths, would those be best damp? Or should I go get an air can? I’m worried about the ash in the sliders of the Summit.

Had the same problem here last fire season.
Vacuum clean the main debris.

Take the synth apart, clean the external casing. I found warm soapy water is the best for getting grime off. Stick it all back together. Easy.

Dont be afraid to open up your synths.

Or… dont clean your synths at all. Extra Funk :wink:

For additional dust protection I use Dummy Plugs in unused sockets.

I read a comment somewhere about air purifiers helping with dust, and ordered one of these last week. The cleaned air is blown upwards.

1 Like

I know very little about Air Purifiers but over the years I’ve come across various questions and comments, in regards to their use around electronics.

Just a couple of answers below. But I really don’t know what’s true and what’s false in these regards.

There are different types, so it’s worth investing what’s available and their differences. But I just wanted to highlight this for you or anyone thinking about using them.

I’ve been wondering about that. I have decksavers for my Elektron gear and cover the whole with a cloth at night, still I’d like to remove the dust on my gear.

Any recommendation for a duster? I’m thinking small vacuum cleaner that would suck the dust, with the right kind of brush so that it doesn’t turn knobs and goes in all small spaces…

Works for me, along with one of those thin brush adapters for the vacuum. I used to try with dust sheets but that dust still gets through…

I cover everything with a towel. Only issue then is our cat finds this to be a perfect sleeping spot, so I have had to start putting deterrents on top of the towel.
On this day, I did not use enough.

2 Likes

I expect in 2020 to have some kind of weird plastic / polymer thing that you just fling onto your kit and it wraps and oozes itself around every orifice, pot and slider, sealing it in from all environmental gubbins.
Maybe I watch too much sci-fi…
Maybe I should pour PVA glue onto everything…

I use (unused) soft makeup brushes for detailed dusting. Works great on other finely detailed items too. You can wash them with a little hand soap if they get really dirty.

Stardust covers are really nicely made for those special items in your studio.

A length of aluminum foil does wonders for keeping cats off your gear, too.

1 Like