How do you explain this habit to friends?

I do music to perform it, improvise it live on stage. The energy you can create live especially with bandmates and audience is HUGE. That is pulling my creativity. Jamming at home, excercising, creates a lot of energy too, for an album or just for myself, but on the stage…wow! It´s like a constant stream of energy streaming through me, and all i need is point it to the right notes and play with it. Anyone, who don´t want to upload…try to find someone nice to jam with. So much what you put out there will come back and motivate you more and more.

6 Likes

you’ve just described why i don’t even want to care about „proper“ studio recordings.

1 Like

A colleague of mine…she has a spider. A big one. That spider can get 30 years old. And she find it beautiful.
Another colleague…he spent last year his summer vacation two weeks in a row to study the ins and outs of the Linux filesystem ext4.

Hobbies…

3 Likes

How many midi tracks ?

2 Likes

2 Likes

“I’m into electronic music. Now fuck off”. Thats the best i can do, sorry :slight_smile:

6 Likes

She said that she formerly had two. Husband and wife tarantulas. But she didn’t wanted 250 babies, that’s why she separated them. :spider:

2 Likes

You’ve hit the motherload, no one can top that for weird co-worker hobbies. You can essentially do anything and you’ll never be more eccentric than spider co-worker.

I wonder what she calls the spider?

EDIT: there’s something funny about saying “my co-worker has a spider” vs “my co-worker has a tarantula”. i don’t know why, but the lack of specificity makes it hilarious.

2 Likes

Whatever it wants to be called

She kept the wife and gave her the name „Elfie“. And she told me that she leaves other spiders in her house in peace, as long as they don’t bother. She really respects nature, doesn’t she? But that’s not the weirdest animal she is taking care of. The weirdest are two leeches. They need to eat blood only once every year and can become 50 years old. Horse owners among us Elektronauts know why she has them.

People are fascinating. Animals too. Life is fascinating!

4 Likes

Nice! She should post them in the Techno-Setup thread

3 Likes

I’m much younger than you but I can relate in a way. I started taking music-making seriously (as seriously as you can when you’re 11 years old) in 1999 when I discovered FastTracker.
Living in a rural town, being into computers was seen as weird and making music with a computer as even weirder.
But some people eventually got it. Not the music, but the process: that you can sample anything into a tracker and then start making funny noises.
Maybe I was mature for my age and my ambitions were already higher than laughing at repitched fart sounds, but laughing at repitched fart sounds was what my friends needed to grasp the concept.

You could try to encourage some of your friends to try out your gear. If they’re intimidated by the technology, make a template for them to jam with. Try to make them see that it’s about having fun.

But also, you’re not responsible to anyone. If your friends are not even trying to understand, it’s on them.

3 Likes

:point_up: happened many times and still does; sometime i don’t really feel like wanting to explain the difference between what i do and what those people think anymore; if i do, i don’t usually go much into details, unless the person i’m talking to, either understands what i’m talking about or is interested in knowing more

2 Likes

I just tell all my friends I’m a DJ.

By “friends”, I mean my wife’s friends.

20 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking how cool it is that some of you have friends. That’s awesome!

21 Likes

so, let’s complicate the challenge:

how do you explain this habit to imaginary friends?

9 Likes

It’s even more complicated explaining it to yourself.

8 Likes

I know right? I hardly ever share my music with myself, I’m always so confused when I tell myself about my hobby.

2 Likes

i disagree (but YMMV).
my ultimate explanation for any dubious things i do — punk’s not dead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My take is this: there comes a time in every person’s life where they should grow up and develop a mature electronic music listening habit. :grinning:

10 Likes