How do you approach a group jam?

I have led an “electronic open improv” night monthly for the last three years. Over that time I’ve tweaked the process and gotten something that works well.

Sorry if this is a bit long, but it is based on a lot of experience.

Who

• The group has anywhere from 3 to 10 people show up each time. Some are regulars, some are new comers, and we sometimes have people come to watch. The musical experience level is all over the map.

• I strongly suggest that each person bring one instrument. There are enough people, each of doesn’t need a rhythm machine, a poly synth, a modular, effects, etc. This also nicely limits the set up time.

• I discourage electric guitar and bass players from joining. A fundimental aspect of electronic instruments is fluidity of timbre. Most electric string players will sit in a very narror range of timbre all night - and that fills a spot no one else can take. I do know one guitarist who uses extreme effects and a guitar synth, and they do play well with us… but such folks are rare.

• For the same reason I strongly discourage drummers on physical drums or (electric kits) because again, they tend to occupy a single point in the musical space.

Note: I’m not dissing electric strings or drummers here: I love playing with them, but have found that it only works when we have more well defined roles for each musician, and the group is curated. In the open format we have, it has proved unworkable.

Set up

• We take a mono or stereo feed from each person, put them into a big mixer - get the levels about even… and no one touches the mixer after that. People are advised to control their own volume at their last output stage.

• We use the mixer to record the stereo mix sent to the room. We make this available a few days later. I find that growth comes from listening again.

• If folks want to use some form of sync signal, our rule is this: I’ll give you the sync signal - you have <2 min. to get it set up or skip it. Sounds harsh, I know - but people typically don’t “rehearse” setting up sync, and so they are fumbling around with menus or controls on their synth and that takes too much time. Typically, I have a long MIDI cable with MIDI clock sync, and I have Ableton Link set up, running on a local WiFi. People sometimes chain MIDI or modular sync off this… But - don’t waste time on this.

• We place people in a U shape, facing the monitors, so that people can see each other. I think this is very important.

• Strategically (and silently) I arrange for myself and one or two of the more experienced musicians to be together at one end of the U.

• My aim is to have everything set up within 30 min. of the posted start time. Any longer and things start devolving into a gear fest, not music making.

Preamble

I give short intro about improv playing for those who’ve never done it, or never done it in this kind of context. Here’s what I say:

• Listening is more important than playing.

• If you can’t hear yourself in the mix, that isn’t a signal to turn your volume up. That is a signal to stop playing, listen, and then think about what to add, if anything.

• Endings are hard in improv: If you see an exit - take it!

• If you hear something you like, try to find and make eye contact with the person playing it.

• It is okay to talk during playing: Announce a key (for those that can follow) or bpm (for those un syncd) - Ask who is playing something cool - suggest “call and response” or some other technique.

Start

We start with this exercise:

• First person in the U starts (now you see why I arranged things the way I did!), usually this is someone with a percussion or rhythm synth part.

• Next person in turn listens, decides what to add, then brings it in.

• After that has been added, proceed 'round the U, one person at a time.

• Once the music has proceeded three or so people beyond you, reduce your contribution, or drop out entirely.

• When it gets all the way around the U, we’re off and playing.

Play

We generally play for about an hour and a half total. I try to have pieces come to an end after no more than 15 ~ 20 min. so that we can start up with a different tempo / feel / style and get in a few clean starts. Also keeps something that is just not working from dragging on. Eye contact with the more experienced improvers helps here!

Rule: Everyone helps with clean up - and room must look better than how we found it.

Joining, and then leading group improv sessions has been a huge influence on me as a musician, and really improved my chops. I highly recommend it.

28 Likes

Really interesting stuff, thanks.

how do i approach a group jam? easily — i’m a drummer/percussionist, and there’s always a place for more percussion in a jam sesion.

2 Likes

Nice thread! Makes me want to join or start something. Are there nauts in or near Arnhem NL?

1 Like

Obviously OP is from Utrecht. :wink:
I am from Essen Germany approx 1, 5h drive. I have never done this with strangers but might be worth a try. We should talk via pm to avoid hijacking the thread.

This is an amazing and insightful post.

I’d say I fall in the category of that synthy guitarist you mention, but totally understand and agree about the need for variety in sonic space. In my previous band we tended to compose either with electronic/computer instruments and then write parts on guitar/bass/etc. or vice versa. It is definitely are hard two worlds to combine without some messy collision, and improvisation makes it infinitely harder.

Like you said, just the issue of setting up sync between a ton of machines must be a nightmare. I did live guitar looping in the band I mentioned, so getting my looper synced to our computer, and our drummer synced to everything took a lot of trial and error as well as tons of rehearsing.

Do you guys every have anyone manipulating/sampling off the mixer and putting it back into the mix?

Thank you for that insightful reply. Less is more I suppose, especially when you’re with that many people. Do you decide on a specific style before the jam? Or is that more or less determined by the person that starts the jam?

Other than instrumental and electronic, we don’t really announce a style. I try to have different sections in at different tempos - from as low as 85 to as high as 135 - which lets the group explore.

Some genres are pretty unlikely to spontaneously occur: most EDM requires preplanned builds and drops, hard techno needs specific sounds and a careful minimal construction, etc…

No matter, we take it as it comes… Remember that the aim is playing together, not finished tracks nor improv performances for an audience (I’ve done that, too, but it is a different thing).

1 Like