How do I hook up w/MIDI: A4, Machinedrum, Digitakt?

Looking for some ideas on hooking up MIDI to control (firstly) 3 devices: A4 mk2, MD mk2, Digitakt.

Then, adding my Keystep, 5 rows of Eurorack, and Logic Pro. I use a Scarlett 18i20 USB Interface.
Also, I might add some other hardware synths…later on.

but First, I mostly want to try going DAW-less and just see how to use the 3 Elektrons first.

Will I need a USB hub like overhub, or other alternative?
thanks.

1 Like

I don’t understand fully what you want to do?
If you want to sync the sequencers just connect with midi cables.

1 Like

what is the master?

You decide! I would go with the A4

1 Like

ok thanks. A4 arriving next week.

1 Like

I have a similar setup A4, Digitakt and Digitone. Digitakt is running clock into A4, which is running midi out into the Digitone. That way I can use the song mode on the A4 for the Digitone, but stay flexible with the Digitakt, which I find more interesting live performances. For recorded performances it might make more sense to keep A4 as the master just because of the song mode feature. Just ideas!

1 Like

I have a vague idea, but not working,I tried hooking up MIDI Clock from Digitakt to control Machinedrum, but its only triggering one of the pads on Machinedrum I think… can someone give me a solid step by step:
where and how to locate menu on screen for Midi clock out of Digitakt,
then where do I find menu on screen for getting Midi into Machinedrum?
Also another option: How to set up the A4 mk2 as Master, sending Midi clock to Digitakt and Machinedrum.
I’ve read a few things online but it isn’t very clear.
thanks.

I’m confused.
You have so much gear but no idea about midi?
( jump on google or YouTube I’m sure there are elektron based setup videos on there )

Overall , I’d use digitakt as master clock , but use internal sequencers of a4 and machine drum , so set them to receive clock .all via midi , using either midi A or midi B out from digitakt

Start with digitakt plus 1 box , figure out what the various sync options do in the menu. ( and read the explanation in the manual )

2 Likes

thanks. FYI I was in MIDI at its inception in 1983, thru the 2000’s. I had the first software sequencers out, Opcode Vision, MOTU and Steinberg.I dropped out using my DAW, MIDI and Mouse etc in the 2000’s. I moved to Eurorack and Buchla when I got back into music at age 62- 3 years ago. I bought Elektron as stand alone synths 3 months ago. New to me. I want to integrate all the boxes I get using Midi, that’s all. I’ll figure it out myself, just thought i’d ask first.

3 Likes

Maybe I miss understood your post and my response was a bit rude , sorry about that.

You can hook up elektron gear in the normal way ( midi master , slave etc , midi A out and midi B Sync out ) but also have them all change patterns based on what you do in the master , which mean’s the other pieces of gear need their patterns arranged to match the song structure.

Or you can just juggle each machine to change patterns nd improvise a bit more .
though you then have lots more stuff to tweak it’ll be a bit mad.

So I’d go digitakt as master , use midi channels to trigger gear that hasn’t got its own sequencer , and use on board sequencer in other elektron gear.

2 Likes

No offense taken. Just wanted to say I worked with MIDI before but have been away from it for quite a while. I should be getting the A4 today, then I can try some things with MIDI using all 3 that you suggested and go from there. Yes, I do need to read the manuals on all 3 regarding MIDI setup.

1 Like

Day 1: Analog Four MK2 is incredible.

I was able to configure MIDI clock from A4 as Master controlling Machinedrum tempo, etc. Don’t quite understand what exactly the Machinedrum is receiving from A4, but the A4 starts and stops MD perfectly, and in-sync; Just using the preset patterns on A4, they are triggering the patterns that are set up on Machinedrum, I think. When I play the small keyboard on the A4 notes, it is triggering the Machinedrum drums, not sure I would want that, its got to do with my Midi channel settings obviously. Eventually I would want to use the A4 for its sequenced synths and the Machinedrum will do all the drum tracks. It is a bit confusing at this point, not to mention adding the Digitakt and Eurorack down the road. Overall I am pleased with progress on Day One.

To me, personally I prefer the feel and layout of the Analog Four MK-II over the Digitakt. I understand the Digitakt has excellent Sampling ability, so thats what I would plan to use it for mostly, along with the sequencer.

2 Likes

The A4 is sending note data to the Machinedrum because of the midi channel settings. I believe it’s your “base channel” midi setting on the Machinedrum defaulting to 1 -4 If you increase your base channel setting say to 5 - 8 for instance, it shouldn’t be triggering the Machinedrum notes from the A4 key presses. This is assuming you don’t have the A4 sending midi data on Midi Ch. 5 or higher.

2 Likes

Thanks, makes sense, I will try changing the default Midi channel settings and experiment with it. Love the screen improvement on the A4 mk2 over mk1.

PLEASE HELP… OK, I must be really stupid, but I just spent better part of an hour searching how to get to the MIDI page on the A4 MK2. Cant find it for the life of me. It would be nice if it was labeled on the unit itself, like everything else…

It’s in the global menu. You need to read the manual

3 Likes

Finally found it, top left button, thanks.