How do I create this sound?

Hi Everyone,

First post here. I just recently bought the analog four to company my rytm and sub 37 and was wondering how I can create the synth sound at :50 from this song or something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDEFtJIjy0

A guy on youtube said it wasnt the 303 but it’s MC 202 double tracked with Roland Juno-106 if that helps…

Thanks!

It’s called a roland TB303. It’s the sound of a whole genre of music. That guy is talking rubbish.

There’s a sysex file here in a thread called 303 day or something. If you want to recreate it, that’s a good starting point, although you’ll learn much more if you Google it fella.

Also read this

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/voodoo-ray-guy-called-gerald

1 Like

Here’s the thread:

Also might want to check out Hardfloor, Josh Wink, Phuture, and see where that leads you… :wink:

1 Like

Just get a TR-03. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone! Thanks Neon for the music recommendations. I wanted to avoid buying more gear and keep the workflow within what I have at the moment.

1 Like

last time i played on the sub37 it did quite a nice 303 sound , one of the presets i think it was.

basic wallpaper 303 riff… old as the hills. if you really feel the need to re-do something like this theres a machine called the cyclone bassbott which is better than the new roland crud remakes… or completely mugg yourself by getting an original 303 which are over priced as with all the old roland stuff

Okay so I tried to install this and when I get to the part of sending the syx file my analog four just gets stuck in “waiting data” Does anyone know whats wrong?

‘old as the hills’ to one person can be a totally new find to someone else. Can you honestly say the sounds you’re making are ‘new’? A lot of stuff been going on since the 50s or whenever! Not sure anything I make sounds genuinely new… New/interesting to me tho so all good :wink:

Have you checked the I/O in C6 mate?

Yes it’s definitely a 303 acid sound :joy:

You can find lots of samples on internet to create your own acidbassline

Or buy a TB3, TB03, Xoxbox, etc…

the magic of the 303 is in the slides and the way the filters respond. it’s like a guitar in the sense that although many have played one, it is still possible to play something cool anyway.

Yes both set to analog four midi in & out 1. Still not working…

Yeah I thought it was the 303. That guy on youtube has no idea what he’s talking about. The 303 sound always makes me crazy. I cant describe it. I feel like I was born in the wrong generation because all the stuff I tend to like is late 80s early 90s… it’s just better… more raw in a way. I also like it when bands use it differently like in Leftfield - Song of life. If you guys have any more suggestions for 303 music let me know! I guess i’ll have to save up for a tb-03. For now i’m really gonna focus on just using the rytm and four… I’m thinking of selling my sub 37 for something more portable. It’s an amazing synth but i’m leaning more towards that portable workfflow with this elektron stuff.

1 Like

Okay so I tested out the 1991 soundpack and it installed with no problem… weird. I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like

Haha mate imagine what it was like for me, as a young lad just discovering music in the mid 80’s!

I was very lucky to have a dad that exposed me to that stuff at such an early age. My peers were listening to Rick Ashley and London Beat, I was listening to the likes of Derrick May, Knuckles, Ron Hardy, Rampling et Al.

Not sure if it made me a better or worse person!

The josh wonk album 20220 is full on acid. Check Laurent Garnier, DJ Pierre, Octave One, for a few points of reference.

The Phoscyon by D16 is a very very usable vst

1 Like