How close is Syntakt to Cycles?

I’ll ask my question at the start, since this is a very long post:

Are there any people here that had a Model: Cycles, upgraded to the Syntakt, and then decided to keep both? If you did, do you still use both of them?

I’m posting here because this thread kept showing up when I was searching for comparisons between the two devices over the past few weeks.

I bought a Syntakt recently, as I didn’t want to pass on it when I found one discounted below the original MSRP, despite recent Elektron price increases.
Even though I shouldn’t, I was tempted to buy a Digitakt from them as well, as I think the new price pushes it into the realm of “probably not worth it” for me (almost 50% higher than its launch price now).

Anyway:

As everyone with a Model: Cycles and a Syntakt seems to do, I started converting many of my favorite sounds, and tracks. Translating the controls wasn’t too difficult - though not all the values map 1:1.

• MC’s “contour” values are inverted on the ST.
    Subtract 127 to get the new value (and ignore the negative sign).

• The default amp settings for Tone/Snare are different, giving the decay control a much smaller working range on the ST. 0–127 on the ST is roughly 11–40 on the MC.
    Change the amp mode to AHD rather than ADSR, then the the values match.

I wonder if these differences could be why people say the machines have changed?
Unless pushed to distortion, everything I tried sounded nearly identical once I got all the parameters dialed in.

The only real differences I can hear are:

• It’s easier to drive the MC into clipping/distortion. You can get some of this by combining overdrive and the analog fx drive on the Syntakt, but it’s not the same.

• Though the parameters seem to match up, reverb on the MC has a wonderful lo-fi character to it.
    It’s soft and noisy, and you hear some nice modulation as you feed more sound into it.
    Reverb on the ST is far cleaner, and I think it might be the reason people say the ST has a more “sterile” character to the sound.

As far as the sound goes, I think it’s only the reverb that I’ll miss.
It would be nice if Elektron could add a ‘lo-fi mode’ to the ST’s reverb in an update.

The other main thing people bring up is that the MC is “knob-per-function” while the ST needs a lot of “menu diving,” and I think that’s a bit exaggerated.
Of course it’s true that the MC has 16 knobs, while the ST has 10 encoders.

But I’m never really “menu diving” when dialing in a sound on the Syntakt. All of a machine’s controls are on a single page.
The Digitone, in comparison, has its main synth controls split across four pages/sub-pages.

You do have dedicated delay/reverb controls on the MC, while you have to switch over to the amp page, or delay/reverb pages for finer control, on the ST.
So in that respect, the MC is more like an “instrument” than “tech,” but I don’t really see it as much of an advantage, outside of live performances.
I can still dial in the sound of a machine on the Syntakt without having to look at the screen - just like the Cycles.

I haven’t seen many comparisons going the other way though.

When you do need something beyond the main controls on the MC, it’s a far worse experience.
I think the only way its LCD could have been any worse was if it didn’t have a backlight.
I can live with the size, as I don’t have a problem with smaller OLED displays found on synths like the Microfreak; but the viewing angles, contrast, and response times of the MC’s LCD are so bad.

And once you get into a menu to set things like LFO controls, they’re split across two pages and you have to scroll, click, scroll to adjust the parameters, while looking at the screen.
On the Syntakt? Hit the LFO button and now you have knob-per-function controls over all eight parameters.
It’s also much easier to see what you’re doing on the display.

The same goes for editing parameters on the sequencer.
On the ST, you hold down the page button and can see all values at once. If you want to clear a parameter, you click its encoder.
On the MC, you have to move a knob to see its value, then quickly press play if you want to clear it. And there’s no way to preview a trig (they really need to add that in an update).

So you have more direct access to the surface-level controls on the Model: Cycles, but once you start going deeper into the sequencer and other parameters, I find it a lot more menu-divey, and reliant on memorizing shortcuts, compared to having direct control on the Syntakt.

The Syntakt does inevitably have more pages of options though, since it can do more.
But I think they did a really great job keeping most of the parameters as ‘direct’ as possible, compared to something like the Digitone - which I find to be far more complex.

For me, at least, the Syntakt really seems like an upgrade in nearly every way.
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if you’re a Model: Cycles user.

But despite everything I have written above, where the Syntakt is objectively better in most ways, I am slightly reluctant to sell my Model: Cycles.

• Though I don’t think it’s a problem on the Syntakt, the Cycles does still feel a little more “instrument-like” than “tech” since you can never be on the wrong page when adjusting main controls.

• Apparently it’s a divisive thing, but I do love the aesthetics of the device: the low-profile plastic enclosure, soft gray tones, and the pinkish-red LEDs; compared to the cold, harsh, industrial look of the Digi boxes - especially the ST’s cool-white display.

• It does have pressure-sensitive pads. They’re pretty bad for finger-drumming with velocity on, but work well with retrigs for variations in sound.
    This also makes it a much quieter device to use, compared to the constant clicking and pinging of the Digi’s keys.

• It runs on 5V, which makes it trivial to power via any USB power bank and a cheap USB to DC barrel cable.
    The Digi boxes running on 12V are a real pain - especially the Syntakt with its higher power requirements. If only they had been 15V, then you could power them with any USB-C power bank (12V support is optional, and uncommon).

• I’d also feel a lot more comfortable traveling with one of these in my bag than a Digi box, to use when outdoors, lunch break at work, or on a commute.

• There’s something to be said for working with limitations. Sometimes that can spark creativity vs. having full control over everything.

• I do like that lofi reverb.

I think if Elektron had released an update so that you could assign CC values and use the M:C as a MIDI controller, I wouldn’t be hesitating to keep it around.

I just wonder if there’s too much overlap between the two to justify keeping both. But it’s the MC that would be going, without a doubt.

If you made it to the end of this post, congratulations.
I know a lot of this has been discussed before, but I hope at least some of it was worthwhile.

11 Likes

I sold my MC after getting ST, and I kind of miss it. In most ways the ST is a strict upgrade, BUT the reverb and the general character of the MC can’t exactly be replicated on ST. Unfortunately I sold my MC before I realized that.

1 Like

My M:C was my first elektron device, so I’m not getting rid of it, but I think you are mostly right. I think where MC shines in a weird way is the more limited capabilities. When I need a lead sound I’m not thinking about which of the 5-6 different machines I could use, I just use the tone machine and get the sound as close as I can to something good and move on. In this way the MC is very fast. But I think this is more a problem in my head than in the instruments. There is nothing preventing me from using the syntakt the same way, except me.

Just generally speaking I kinda feel like the syntakt feels like too much a lot of the time, especially coming out of two outputs, and the cycles never feels like too much.

1 Like

I’d love machine locks on all Elektrons!

Model Cycle manual :

4 Likes

I think Machine Locks are the only thing the Cycles can do which the Syntakt can’t - and I’m not sure why.

It seems like an interface limitation, since you can parameter lock any sound from the pool on any step, no matter the machine.
So it can already do machine switching per-step, but doesn’t keep the current values.
It could probably be solved by adding the machines to the sound pool list for trigs, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that in an update.

This reminds me of another interface difference that I think the Cycles handles better:
It lets you assign a sound directly from your presets list on a trig, without having to manually load it into a pool first.
It does this automatically, adding it to the “locks” folder (which has a maximum of 64 rather than a pool of 128 on the ST).

Maybe it’s a holdover from the “Digi OS” being older, or maybe it made more sense on the Digitakt since it’s a sampler.
But all three of them handle it this way, and I’ve always found that awkward.

Yeah, that’s why I’m still hesitating to sell the Cycles.
There’s nothing to stop me from limiting myself to one LFO, six tracks, and the same six machines as MC on the Syntakt.
But there’s always that temptation to do more, and even though the controls are the same, I do seem to take sounds in a different direction on the ST compared to the MC. Different vibes.

I may end up regretting it, but am still leaning towards selling it though.
I think there’s just too much overlap between them to justify keeping both, and the more I use the ST, the more I start to notice the limitations of the MC’s interface when I go back to it.

I do think Elektron missed a good opportunity with the Cycles though, as they should’ve set things up so you could transfer its projects and sounds directly to the Syntakt, on day one.
That would turn it into a great ‘portable sketchpad’ for anyone that owns both.

4 Likes

Honestly, I think they will update and give more love to the Cycles, and probably a way to xfer from cycles to syntakt. Both products are so basically same base, low end vs high end.

I am hoping for a support for this kind of transfert, in that case I would maybe consider syntakt.
I also hope We get some of the machines that made it into the syntakt. I would love 2 more “melodic” Machines to get the cycles to 8 total machines and maybe a way to control attack/have portamento with something like func +decay for portamento and double click on LFO for attack control .

I think ultimately the Cycles is more of a jam product whereas the syntakt is trying to be kind of more “serious”. It feels like they tried to make a modern monomachine but gimped the product anyways for some reason… like why not add the parameter slides and the super arpeggiator from mono ? Syntakt feels like a mash up of a few elektrons products but ultimately it does not do anything new. Why the cycles being of its format and design is still very unique despite its limitations.

I don’t see why one should necessarily get rid of their Cycles even if they “upgraded”, as I see so many advantages to the Cycles. Mine gets tossed around the house like a Game Boy. You don’t do that with the other Elektron boxes.

But it’s really subjective.

1 Like

It’s the same reverb as several of Elektron’s other devices, AFAIK.

1 Like

It’s definitely the same reverb, as the parameters seem to match up.
But there’s a quality to its sound that I haven’t been able to match on the Syntakt.
Maybe I just don’t have the advanced parameters set right, since the ST has settings which are not available on the MC.

But it’s like the high frequencies are softened, and white noise builds up as more sounds are played with long reverbs.
I wasn’t able to recreate that with the ST’s reverb filter options - at least not when trying values that seemed to match up to the parameters on the MC.

I figured it was probably a result of lower precision processing - since most other settings on the MC have less fine control in general.
But maybe someone that has spent more time with the two knows how to recreate it on the ST.

Still, I don’t think there is a significant difference in how the two sound - at least not with anything I have tested - and the reverb difference only stood out on specific sounds when I was doing an A/B comparison.
Since many people talk about there being a different character to the sound from the MC, I thought this could be it.

Yeah, I get that. It’s part of the appeal, and why I find myself reluctant to let it go.
But I just don’t think I need both when the ST can do nearly everything the MC does.
Maybe I’ll be back in a few months saying that I’ve bought a replacement Cycles though, if I end up missing it.

Honestly, it sounds like your gut is pretty clear on this already and you’re just hesitating out of possible future FOMO. If you’re anything like me, the cognitive burden of too much gear overlap will be tougher to deal with than the remote feeling of missing a slightly different reverb. So I recommend that you follow your gut and get rid of the excess.

The only question I’d ask myself is:

How often does that happen for you in the real world? I.e. bringing either of these devices with you on a commute or outdoors? If that’s really a thing in your life, you’ll probably want a protective cover/case for it anyway and the differences will come down to the relative bulk of the powerbank and device itself. If that type of outside-of-home portability is important to you and happens often enough, then maybe you could justify keeping the M:C if you were truly concerned with the overall weight of your backpack, but that’d be the only reason I can think of. And if this is more of a hypothetical scenario, then again, just sell the M:C and double down on your upgrade. :blush:

1 Like

I’d say pretty close.

About 16 cm / 6″:

On topic:
I started my Elektron journey with the Cycles, added the Samples, thought Samples was lacking in soundscaping/-shaping and got a Digitakt. I loved the filters and mixing capabilities of the Digitakt and then the Syntakt came out. I got it immediately, and since then the Models are on the longlist. As soon as I recorded the last song(s) I made on the Models, they gotta go, and I’ll only be rocking the Duotakt.

12 Likes

Yes, I think you’re right. Aside from the screen, there’s just something I like a lot about the device; but it’s not that I dislike the Syntakt.

Not as often as I’d like, especially after the pandemic and things have shifted to working from home.
Just as I like to imagine that working with limitations will force me to improve, it’s more aspirational than reality.

Love it. How do you like those VESA stands?
They look exactly like the ones I was considering buying for my Digi boxes - though it really makes them a dedicated desktop-only device at that point.

1 Like

These are just the “15 bucks” kind, but they fit perfectly, are stable and can handle some button bashing. I do tend to move the boxes less often, but you can fold the stand and still use a 'takt on your lap.
[/complete and utter sidetrack]

2 Likes

I have these things on my vesa mounted digi’s and they work great. Kinda mess up sitting the box on a desk, but perfect if your off-mount use is primarily on your lap

2 Likes

i still love my Cycles.

that’s all.

2 Likes

Not to derail too much but I use the same mounts. When I want to use the DT or ST flat I seat them in PL protective lids…

2 Likes

Nearly six months later, and I’m missing mine - even though the Syntakt which replaced it can do everything Cycles can (and a lot more).

I’d probably pick one up again if Elektron were to update the hardware with USB-C and maybe a better screen, at the updated price.
Or the current hardware if it were to actually go on sale.
Being able to power it and record audio via a phone/tablet connection would be amazing for portability though.

It does still feel that it’s due a software update to add some of the convenience features missing compared to the Digi boxes, like locking the keyboard to a scale or being able to preview trigs.
One or two of the machines from ST would be nice as well.

4 Likes

I could see it, after all they have been big into software updates and minor hardware revisions lately.

1 Like

I kinda like USB-B since it’s sturdier and my music gear seems to take more abuse than my typical “computer peripherals” (which I do prefer to have be USB-C-based). But maybe there are other good reasons for C.

• The regular Type-B connector (the big square one) is not bad, it’s just outdated.
    And it’s more awkward to use today, as you will need either a B-to-A or B-to-C cable - the latter being quite uncommon.

• Mini-B/Micro-B are disasters - particularly Micro-B.
    I’ve had several devices which use Micro-B connections where the port dies, or I have to swap around cables until I find one that works. And it’s a different cable for each device. The tolerances are bad, and the reliability is worse.
    Lots of those cables are way below spec too, and so they can’t even deliver the relatively low amount of power required of them. I think I have one cable in the house which can power a Raspberry Pi without the device complaining.

• Type-C has proven to be quite robust/reliable so far.
    It’s the same connector on both ends, and the orientation doesn’t matter.

The big advantage is that it supports Power Delivery (USB-PD).
So rather than being fixed at 5V (typically 2.4A/12W max), there are various power profiles up to 48V/240W which are supported, and the device negotiates what it requires on connection.

So instead of having DC power bricks of different voltages/polarities with different size barrel connectors for your devices, you just need a PD charger and a Type-C cable, and it’ll work with any device it can handle.

Now, not every PD charger supports every voltage profile.
As I understand it, 12V was in the 1.0 spec but was replaced with 15V in the 1.1 spec - so a lot of chargers omit support, which is quite frustrating when so much audio gear runs off 12V.

But if the required voltage is not supported, it won’t fry anything.
The negotiation fails and it doesn’t send any power.

If a device like the Model: Cycles was designed with a Type-C connection in mind, I could power it off any phone charger without needing a special power brick, or a USB-to-DC Barrel adapter (since it does run on 5V).

If the bigger Elektron boxes were also built to use Type-C, I could use the same power brick/cable to run any of those - even if they used a higher voltage profile (like 12V or 15V).

The same cable used to power/charge a device can also connect it to my phone/tablet - powering the device, and being able to play/sequence/record audio directly from it, since M:C supports Class-Compliant Audio/MIDI.

If you want to do that currently, it requires:

• USB-to-DC Barrel adapter, connected to a power bank.
  • Type-C to Micro-B adapter, connected to the phone for Audio/MIDI.

It’s an awkward mess, and you need to carry two specific cables/adapters and a power bank around - while Type-C would be a one-cable solution.
If you ever needed another, they’d be readily available since it’s not a specific adapter - just a standard Type-C cable.

One of the reasons I don’t use my Digi boxes as much as I’d like - particularly the Syntakt with its higher power requirements - is that they are not very portable since they run off a 12V DC Barrel connection, and then need a second cable for audio/midi.

2 Likes