How are you sequencing Modular with the Digitakt?

I suggest getting an FH-2 from Expert Sleepers. Just plug in the Digitakt via USB and you get 8 free configurable cv or gate outputs and you can extend the number later. Id say this is the most flexible on the market.

1 Like

I’m using a mutant brain to control the modular with the digitakt. What’s good about the mutant brain is that it’s completely configurable. You get 4 cv and 12 gates.

2 Likes

Using the mutant brain, does what its supposed to do

3 Likes

I use an Expert Sleepers FH-1. Unfortunately my CV.OCD is now gathering dust :cry:

2 Likes

Would you care to explain your configuration and presets?

FH-2 has a webinterface, were you can route almost any MIDI-Parameter to any output.

As I dont like dealing with presets when Im playing with modular. I usually use my FH-2 with a keystep. The outputs give out clock, gate, pitch, velocity, aftertouch, modwheel.

But can also do 4x gate and 4x pitch or clock, doubletime clock, 2 gates, 2 pitches and 2 velocities from the digitakt.

Just have a look in the Fh-2 manual on the expert sleepers website.

As other stated you should get a midi to cv converter… i have one from erica synths… very simple indeed, just 2 gate output, 2 cv output, clock and mod output… it make a good work for its price…

I have my Digitone hooked up to the modular. I was using a CV.OCD but recently got a Mutable Instruments Yarns module. I prefer to have everything in the one case.

I take MIDI Out from the DN and into Yarns. Yarns MIDI Out/Thru then goes to the 0-Coast. I use the DN’s MIDI Thru as a Din/Sync output into a Pamela’s New Workout module, which then (amongst other things) clocks a Marbles module for random stuff.

I’d do it exactly the same way if I had a Digitakt, although the advantage of the Digitone is that I can route the audio output of the modular back into the DN’s effects.

1 Like

Polyend poly!

Digitakt and Hermod is a real good match for eurorack. You get 8 cv and 8 gate outputs which is configurable to any midi signal from Digitakt. And you get 4 inputs that can be sent from eurorack to modulate Digitakt. Aaaand several midi effects also, like an arpeggiator and scale quantizer that is not available in Digitakt. Hermod completes Digitakt :slight_smile:

thanks for your reply. yes the interface has a clear layout but im still having a hard time configuring it. i haven’t tried with DT yet (only had it a few days) but with op-z with inconsistent results.

hopefully a DT configuration will yield better results :slight_smile: im thinking a couple of gate-channels with their respective envelopes, and im wondering how to actually configure so that a converter outputs a envelope in real time. the envelope section in the web-config is clear but not on "preset items - channel/cc, how it relates to a enabled converter output assigned to a midi channel and it’s checked functions as gate/trig, velocity gate(?), envelope etc, where and how it outputs the envelope based on respective adsr cc’s from desired midi channel.

im not saying that midi functionality on either DT or midi to cv modules are “bad” unclear or the like. im saying that it is unclear for me and that i need extra clarification and support :slight_smile:

If you have any questions to FH-2, just drop Andrew a mail. He is Expert Sleepers and very responsive to questions. You can find his Mail in “contact us” on the bottom of the website.

1 Like

It cant be harder than an fh-1, which i now have functioning perfectly after editing the scripts…

I have the DT feeding a BSP, controlling pattern changes, the roller/looper and also through an iconnect midi 2 it controls the FH1 giving 8 channels of automated modulation…all controlling a dfam and MI Braids and Warps.

Its a great little powerfull set up…

Hi, my question seems relevant. I’m sequencing Eurorack with Digitakt thru Shuttle Control, but I find inputting notes to locks to be clumsy. Could I use an external controller, like Keystep so I could both, hear what I’m playing, and input the notes while I press the target lock? Preferably I’d like to hear whatever midi track is chosen.

I’ve ordered a Midimuso cv-12 octex to use with my Digitakt. When it comes, I’ll be sure to report how good it works.

2 Likes

The midimuso cv12 Octex works pretty good. It only does midi channel 1 for all cv modulations and channel 16 for aux gates. It seems steppy when knobs on the Digitakt are turned, but I think that’s the Digitakt’s fault.

The Octex is a unique form factor, not eurorack, kinda reminds me of a pci card. I made a lego enclosure for now, but it needs a proper enclosure. I plan on mounting it in a small case. It seems worth the $70 cost, shipping from uk included.

Can someone help me to set up digitakt with mutant brain?So i would like just 7 gates to work with endorphines blck noir…?any presets to share or something?

1 Like

Have you checked out Mutant Brain Surgery? http://mutantbrainsurgery.hexinverter.net/

You can configure the Mutant Brain how you like, then send the configuration to the module. You will need a interface with MIDI out on your computer.

1 Like

Stupid confession, but I bought a used Mutant Brain that had a very odd config and I just couldn’t figure out how to make it right (lost patience pretty quick). Wound up getting a Polyend Poly. Pros and cons are;

PROS- 8 pitch, 8gates, 8 velocity, 8 Modulation
Works right out of the box perfectly with no sysex hassles. Works flawlessly and you have all 8 midi tracks sorted.

CONS- pretty big module and not cheap.

I absolutely love it, but wish it wasn’t so big

1 Like

I got YARNS from Mutable Instruments and I am very happy with it. You have 4 CV and 4 Gate outputs. Everything can be triggered on separate midi channels. It is also possible to use one output as a clock signal. My Metropolis and Varigate are running in perfect sync with the Digitakt.