How are you controlling Rytm and Analog Four together?

I’m a recent Rytm user and am considering adding an A4 to the mix. As I understand it, I can use the Rtym’s perf pads to also control the A4’s perf macros which sounds great to me.

However, I’m thinking if it also possible to control the mutes for both machines in one place. Midi controller like a beatstep? Ideally I would like to avoid constantly jumping between mute and perf pages on the Rytm.

Wondering how others are using the performance features of both machines together?

I created a midi controller in Lemur (iPad). I am able to bi-directionaly control all mutes and toggle which performance knobs/pads of my AR - AK - A4 - DN setup to control with a single fader (for breakdowns etc.). Lemur is very flexible, but for that kind of controller you will need to really dive into it (and have an audio interface that can handle complex midi scenarios/routing).

2 Likes

Perfs midi CCs don’t match between A4 and AR. You need a midi processor to remap them.
Midi Processors with Octatrack

A midi controller can also be used to control them indeed.

1 Like

Sounds well flexible. Didn’t realise an interface is needed instead of the camera kit for complex midi. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. What about NRPN?

1 Like

I have an iConnectivity 4+. It routes everything to the iPad, preventing the elektrons to communicate with each other, but allowing midi clock between them!. This way the iPad is kind of the midi message multiplexer/server. Also the interface comes with a usb to lightning cable from factory. It is very stable and convenient!

2 Likes

if you use nrpn it works with direct midi connection! i use it that way… (change it in rytm and a4 menu)

it is also visible in the posted chart

2 Likes

Yes indeed! Unfortunately I’d rather use CCs with OT. I’ll check eventual workarounds with NRPN sent from OT, more complex.

luckily i do not have an ot :wink:

op can see it in action here:

3 Likes

:+1:
I didn’t see midi messages to control A4’s Mutes. Track Level or Amp Vol maybe…

Sounds great and just the setup I’m thinking of!!
I wish the Rytm’s trig keys could be used as track mutes in perf mode…

I can’t see A4’s track mute in the chart either. Maybe its the same CC94 as the rytm.

Yep. You’ll have to choose between CCs and NRPNs!

2 Likes

think i if you set mutes to external you can (un)mute rytm from a4. (first 4/6 tracks) might also work the other way around…

i will test it this evening.

1 Like

That would be good to know. Thanks!

I’d use AR to mute A4, maybe with the 4 stealing tracks maybe (CP/HT/CB/OH), in order to keep 8 voices for AR…

ok, so i experimented a little and it works pretty much like expected :grinning:

midi cable direct from out to in, ar to a4 and vice versa

mute destination: ext or int&ext

this way you can mute and unmute matching/multiple or all channels of the other device…

you choose which channel mutes which by the midi track channel settings

example: mute cv channel on a4 ( set to midi channel 1) mutes bd, sd and ch channel of ar, if each of them is set to channel 1 on rytm… in this case you can use cv mute on a4 as kind of a programmable mute for ar…

if you unmute the bd, sd or ch channel on the rytm each time the cv on a4 will unmute too… to fix that i turned mute send to int on rytm, to prevent sending it…

sounds complicated, maybe i should make a video… :joy:

i think it can be another nice performance tool…

bonus: if you send a4 cv mute on auto channel (of rytm) it will mute/unmute whichever track is currently selected on ar

3 Likes

Thanks for checking it out! Think I get what you mean, I was hoping to limit the number of channels for the Rytm, such as kick on 1, snares and percs 2, hats 3. Using what you described I could use the A4’s CV mute to mute my snares and percs for example if they’re on the same channel. I know the rytm can send mute out, glad to know the A4 can too.

Thanks again for the info!

1 Like

Yep. Really interesting. Both ways is maybe tricky! Some parameter CC/ NPRN controls may match.
Edit : Pitch tune (CC16) seems to correspond, but Perf should be easier to control!

I already tried to put all AR channels on the same channel to make a Control All thing. CC set to EXT. Working well except Mutes : all on or all off! :smile:

Didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

So it seems possible to mute individually with Int. Some Control All groups seem possible per channel.

I use a Novation SL MK2 for performance parameter control on both and mutes on analog keys only. The Rytm is always in mute mode in this way.

1 Like