How are we called as a group?

Expert knob twiddlers

4 Likes

~ Gruppo di Groovebox ~

4 Likes

Novice knob noodlers

1 Like

We’re all just a bunch of trigless locks… Trigless trigs even some of us…
:smile:

5 Likes

This one is hella funny! There’s an MC-505 one as well that is pure gold!

1 Like

Well, that’s just, like, your opinion. Man.

In all seriousness though. This is a thing I struggle with in a lot of social situations. Because, let’s face it… this is definitely niche compared to what your average punter thinks of as a musician. An example might be that I met someone recently and we’ve been out a few times but their brother is a proper musician… as would be traditionally defined. And so, presuming that I don’t make a complete fool of myself, there is a chance I’ll be in some weird situation where they’re talking about playing music and I’ll be talking about FM ratios and/or wavefolding and it’s going to be a whole world of awkward.

2 Likes

Or the opportunity for an exchange of ideas and future collaboration, maybe?

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be that hard to get to a common ground when you distinguish between playing music, programming it (sequencing) and sound design … :wink:

4 Likes

In the 90s I remember we ( the other members of the band in which I played drums) used to call people that made electronic music ’ knob Twiddlers’. About ten years ago when I started knob twiddling, I referred to the practice as ’ tweaking’ . I quite like ‘Tweaker’ as a title. It amuses me.

1 Like

Machinists

1 Like

I find the need to separate musicians who use traditional instruments and musician who use electronic based instruments strange.

6 Likes

Synthousiasts

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel like a real trigless trig(I see it as an Elektronaut version of “the lights are on but no ones there”)

Though it could be a means of saying impotent.

I meant the first one for myself, but people can think what they want

1 Like

To me it sounds like saying we’re all just a bunch of fools… :grin:

7 Likes

But only because the traditional Piano/Violin musicians Look down on musicians who uses electronic Instruments. Ask them If they know Boogie Woogie.

Knobheads!

6 Likes

When I just had synths and stuff in my room a surprising amount of people would say “are you a DJ?”.
I put a couple of guitars on the wall and now everyone says “are you a musician?”.

I am neither.

My wife sums it up quite well, she calls me a noisy twat.

22 Likes

I propose Sknob, because of the feeling of superiority over DAW users only.

As for all other things, I consider myself a musician, even if I only play drums, percussions and program drum machines and synths. So I think you all should consider yourselves Musicians…

Even the word “producer” might work, anyway

3 Likes

:joy:

I consider myself a musician too. with a weakness for shiny guitars and electronic instruments

1 Like