How are people liking the Model: Samples?

putting this here as well since the “Get Ready…” thread is a going on 3,000 posts.

The #1 thing I like about Model:Samples is how far I can get in such a short amount of time.
This was 45 minutes of work. It will definitely get developed further.

11 Likes

Funny that the M:C hype/leak and this jam has me GASing hard for a M:S!

1 Like

I’ve only just clocked that the encoders can send midi. This means the m:s can double as a handy set of 12 encoders for daw work. Given the cost of a good set of midi encoders, that’s a handy bonus feature.

1 Like

Yea, you can use the sequencer, which also sends MIDI to sequence an Ableton Drum Rack, and the encoders to tweak the rack’s macros.

It’s pretty great in this regard.

1 Like

Actually it’s 72 encoders - each of the 6 tracks can send CC on a different midi channel. It’s pretty great!

7 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Can you assign the LFO to more then one target?

No.

But you can quickly change assignments to another knob by simply holding the lfo button and turning the knob of the destination.

2 Likes

Sounds like another neat performance trick

2 Likes

That’s the spirit!!

Limitations breeds creativity.

Honestly my OT gives me choice overload a lot of times so it’s nice to have something simple to have fun with as well

3 Likes

That’s exactly the way I see it.

OT is Pandora’s box. So many possibilities, and for me, so many opportunities to not be productive. I have to have something specific in mind to be productive with it.

But when I just want to explore, having more constraints(M:S) is actually beneficial. I rub against the walls of possibilities here. Exploit them, get the most from them, then move onto the next element, as I’ve pushed the previous song element to its max.

Create with MS, mangle with OT.
With limited time to spend on music, this has been very effective for me.

6 Likes

Shiiit! That’s amazing

One possibility that I failed to mention is you can, in fact P-lock the parameters on the main LFO page.
Waveform, multiplier, destination, depth.
This way you can have a different LFO destination per step.

Notably, this is kind of the only way to p-lock pan, as it is available in the destinations list but not otherwise p-lockable. You just have to sacrifice your other, normal modulation destination on that one step, and be willing to accept the Rest, fade, and start phase parameters on the LFO setup page, which are not p-lockable.

4 Likes

In preparation for a live set with just OT and MS, I’m starting to incorporate the OT more in track making with the MS.

Usually just sampling some phrases from the MS to add as a backing layer.
Real happy with this combo. Happy enough to ignore getting the new M:C for at least a couple months, and just focus on this instead.

Here’s some audio from tonight’s work:

MS into Micro Limiter into OT.
MIDI Fighter Twister doing some live control of the OT.
I very much enjoy the “push encoder to reset” knob assignments for bass eq. Great for drops.

6 Likes

Stupid question for you guys: does your level / data click encoder wobbles slightly on its axis? Can’t remember if it already wobbled a bit when I bought it…

verrrrry slightly.
Not as much as the Level knob on my OT… And all the knobs on my OT are less wobbly than my Midi Fighter Twister encoders. Which wobble but are still super solid.

A little bit of wobble is of no worry with push-click encoders.

1 Like

Yes, the data encoder on my M:S is like that. Slightly wobbly and it can be tricky to dial in exact values. I don’t know if this is normal or not?

1 Like

Yep, mine wobbles too. But it feels intentional and I haven’t had any problems.

1 Like

Have you tried/is it possible to send MIDI over USB to another synth? I’m thinking with the right USB cable (Mini B to Micro) I could potentially power and sequence my SH-01A, and receive audio at the same time? :thinking: