How are people liking the Model: Samples?

Something like that in Android? :expressionless:

You said a few times already that you are getting much more tracks done with the MS. How are the tracks quality wise compared to your old tracks? Do you finish the tracks on the MS or are you adding other gear later to refine / add structure?

Quick question: Is it possible to arm live recording when it’s stopped - so it starts only when master is playing (this would come in handy to copy&paste trigs to/from other gear)?

Sonically, just fine. With M:S all the frequencies are certainly there, and the dual HP/LP filter is a solid EQ tool.

The tunes have their own vibe but I don’t think it detracts from the artistic message. The same way Rytm tracks have their own vibe and get the job done.
The vibe comes from the limitations.
The reverb is really only capable of a few distinct tonalities. The delay is limited, without ping pong or sending to the reverb. Having to use the Loop button as a pseudo-delay, so that I can use a short delay time as a pseudo phaser. Creative use of start point modulation and filter LFO on longer samples to fake attack. Latching the FILL as a “Track 7”…
All of these limitations and the creative workarounds that they inspire contribute to shaping the vibe of M:S tunes.

Each track is different. Some I’ve recorded straight stereo out of the M:S and been happy with the result, just needing some master processing.
Others, I use the OT to sample a phrase that I can chop up and use as a backing layer or breakdown element to be more interesting.
Mostly I multi-track into Live (kind of in a solo track / live record+loop fashion) and arrange there.

Which tunes get which process depends on a lot of things. Sample selection usually being the most important. If I have to do a lot of LPF LFO on a hook to make a sample interesting, then I can’t really roll out the lows to make room for the kick. So it’s either going to exist as a FILL on the kick track and be heavily p-locked and kind of gated against the kick, or get multi-tracked where I can EQ it, or I’m going to have to dig around for another kick that works.

But also these are mostly “live tracks” I am making. Tracks for a performance, with OT always at the ready to make single patterns with lots of live tweaks more interesting. The best of these will be turned into releases.

I like more raw techno, not the big room beatport stuff that’s best made with a DAW.
Punchy, simple but not boring patterns, with space for the mind to breathe it all in.
M:S for all creation + OT to make that creation a little more interesting… this is a great combo for my needs.

I don’t think so, but I don’t know for sure, since I have no use for that type of functionality.

3 Likes

my m:s is ready for pick up, can’t wait to start messing with it! I’ll post my first impressions when I have had time to mess with it some.

Looking forward to all the granular mess I’m going to try doing with it. I already have drum sounds up the wazoo so more interested in using the m:s for strict samole manipulation & making ambient stuff. With plockable loop points and LFO, layering 6 voices of atmospherics etc oughta be intriguing… Need to sample my M1 :wink:

Ok, have my forst pattn (using factory samples) saved. so quickly off the top of my head, coming from the m:c:

• the pads feel roughly the same
  • Pitch can only be controlled in integers, whats up with that?
  • Still figuring out the loop point manipulation workflows
  • Factory bank sounded a bit muffled?

All in all, I can see the m:s being a brilliant box for ambient, once I get my custom samples in there :yin_yang:

I suppose it works for drums too, but that can come later!

New OS changes that.

5 Likes

Well I’ll be darned! Thanks for the heads up. Excellent timing, I have a gig coming up and was thinking of taking the models out for the gig, getting feature parity between both models couldn’t have came at a better time :nyan:

1 Like

I remember in the Perfect Circuit Q&A vid, Ess mentioning MS would get some of the MC’s new features. Happy it came so soon!

2 Likes

ok let me try to gather my thoughts.
well I’m darn near close to buying :samples (almost bought it twice already today), more so to complement my :cycles.
but one important* issue is concerning me at the moment.

that issue being w/ :samples -

I’ve been making all my drum patterns in daw and what bugs me the most is swing*.
I know Ableton has “grooves” to offer that and also push1 has a hardware swing option but its really really quirky/unreliable for me and the groove still doesn’t seem like its making my whole drum tracks swing cohesively.

so here is my concern/question.

I want to get :samples just to transfer over my drum track samples to have an all-in-one drum groove using the nice elektron sequencer & swing.

well I have so many songs in my daw uncompleted because I haven’t added any groove/swing to them. (and definitely do not like abletons “grooves”, it just doesn’t flow rite for me)

so fiiiiinally, is there any way to transfer over my midi data from daw to :samples?
lol lame question, but then again you guys here know some wild tricks.
I’m assuming not tho, I would probably have to replicate the drum patterns by visual & sight on the :samples and that could get really overwhelming considering how many songs I have waiting to be swing updated.

I also have a mpc1k but I suppose that would just leave me in the same situation as I also want to use all the lovely :samples features like locks and ctrl+all.
and plus that just adds more to the equation than id like too.

Only way I can think of is sending the DAW sequencer data to the model over MIDI, and realtime recording the result to the model sequencer. There is unquantized realtime record on the models. But not sure how perfectly the seq could reproduce your DAW patterns, it will depend on the complexity of sequence…

However, I can’t recommend a hardware instrument to anyone solely on the basis of groove… AFAIK DAWs have sample accurate timing. If something is off, it can be fixed by programming. I have never bought into any timing myths I’ve been reading online, but obvs this is a subjective thing so YMMV

yeah realtime recording wouldn’t be ideal at all for me.
I was thinking maybe slowing duplicating my daws grid onto the :samples grid
i.e.- [][][][snare][][hihat][][][][etc]
but that would take way too much time with all the songs I have currently waiting to be updated.
I also offset notes so it wouldn’t overall sound the same.
perhaps I just have to start fresh with the :samples and deal with my current daw songs the way they are.

I just bought one.
I wanted something that might force me to distill my existing work and sample material into smaller and more refined sessions. It aligns with my minimalist ethos.

3 Likes

Exactly my intentions when I bought it.

I was looking for an M:S Love thread, but couldn’t find one so I started my own.

MD, MM, OT, A4, DN user over the last 10 years.

Picked up a M:S largely cause I’ve been “displaced” from China for two months and my fingers were getting twiddly.

I’ve spent a few weeks with it and it’s fast becoming my “if I only had one machine…” box. I love the immediacy, the sufficient versatility and the scaled down simplicity that just makes creativity so much fun. I didn’t mind getting my head around all the other boxes, and I’ve held onto most of them, but this thing is taking me back to basics in all the right ways.

So, just a bit of gushing. I don’t mind if this gets truncated with other “hurrah’s” that I was too lazy to find.
But just sharing some appreciation for what’s become my re-entry level Elektron box.

(I actually wanted the Cycles but there were none available, so I thought this would be worth a sniff, and I wasn’t wrong. See what I can squeeze out of this before inevitably buying its Model partner)

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind if I put your love letter here :kissing_heart:

Perfect!
Thanks boss

1 Like

Haha yeah, I’ve been so impressed with the Cycles and how immediate it is that I’ll probably end up getting the Samples at some point, despite already having DT and OT! Love the one knob per function, especially new things like the chance knob. Shame it can’t sample on board though.

3 Likes

just got mine and so far loving it and enjoying reading thru everything on here.
Q: how well do the elektron sample packs for digitone work with the M:S ?
should be good as they are all wav files but just curious is there’s any thing i should be aware prior to purchasing any

Mine arrived a few days ago. Buttons and pads are weird af but I’ll adapt. I’m still curating through my MPC sessions and samples and hoping to distill the essence of those sessions for the MS.
Playing with stock sounds and sequencer has already revealed much about how I’ll use it to start. LOVE the hold pad to mute track. There’s a quite tactile nature to the device in general… No octave up down buttons is odd though.
Aesthically, one of my favorite purchases in ages

I’ve been stealing from my Octa sample library and they work fine.
I guess the only convenience you don’t have is them being arranged as per the 6 tracks, but that’s no biggie.