How are people liking the Model: Samples?

Karenn banging it out on a Model:Samples (and Digitone!). If it’s good enough for them… Check out their new album Grapefruit Regret if you like crazy good bonkers techno.

6 Likes

If NAMM doesnt bring something grooveboxy to the table, I’m def buying one of these.

Can you please elaborate upon this workflow?

Do you record a single audio file of 120 individual hits in your DAW, and then import this sample into MS, and using the Sample Start knob, scroll through the various hits of a single ‘sample’ on a pad, which in fact holds 120 samples?

(A tiny bit like the 128 racks hack for Ableton drum racks)

How do you ensure the hits in the original file are all equally spaced and divided by 120?

(I hope that makes sense)

A little late to the game on this one but the 26 plockable samples per pattern just blew my mind.

So on a single track if you prepare a bunch of samples in your DAW or record from other hardware and then transfer you could get away with a lot on just this box.

On top of the 120 trick with sample start…

Wow this is a bargain :joy:

Bought it for the pads (still not a huge fan of them…), keeping it for everything else heh

I’m checking out spacing the samples equally on beats in Ableton, consolidating them all into a single audio file and then importing into Model:Samples.

I tried this last night but because the samples were so random and varied it was difficult to tell if sample start was definitely hitting at the start of each sound. I’m going to try again with a single BD sound repeated to be sure.

EDIT: just read earlier post - it’s definitely 120 samples

I’m going to direct you to other threads on this so that we don’t take this one off subject:

#1 , yes you can do it in a DAW, I have in the past. I talk about it here
Note that the link goes to an Octatrack topic, and OT uses 128 slices instead of the 120 that MS/DT/AR use.

#2 yea, you have the general ideal. If 120 “hits” in a chain, set length to 1 and then scroll the start parameter. If 60 “hits” in a chain, set length to 2, and then each hit will start on every other integer of the start parameter. If 30 “hits” in a chain, set length to 4, and then each hit will start on every 4th integer of the start parameter.

#3 as far as ensuring equal spacing, see the link in #1, or you can also use Octachainer if you don’t wish to use a DAW. Just be sure to use the 120/Rytm slice settings.

3 Likes

Ive had my MS for a few days. I had been looking for something to replace a TR8S that had to be sold this past summer. I really just needed a sketch pad as Ive found my sweet spot getting my main loops down then finishing in my DAW. Ive also been using a Circuit Mono Station. For this purpose Im loving the MS, really quick and feature heavy for getting drum loops created.

I also think I will enjoy the challenge of using the two together to do a live jam here and there.

The MS feels like the Electribe Korg couldnt quite deliver.

3 Likes

I bought mine with the intention of using it as a second/third drum machine but now it’s my musical note pad too. Comes out with me in my bag and I can just jam ideas to work on later on the bigger boxes or in the DAW.

5 Likes

Yeah I feel this way too. I actually still have an ES-1 and it feels very similar in terms of how instant it is. Actually I should try using them together :metal:

People complain about things like lack of polyphony, only 6 voices etc, but it’s those things that make it very fast and inspiring to use imo.

6 Likes

Yes. It is very much like the ES-1 (owned two of them over the years myself). And the ESX was the second piece of hardware I ever owned :slight_smile: I like the MS very much bc of its Electribe feel.

2 Likes

I am amazed at how quickly I manage to put together tracks on the M:S + DN combo once I find some inspiration. Such a lethal combo! Again I find it easiest to leave the drums to the M:S and let the DN do the rest, although I sometimes will use a pad sample on one of the M:S tracks.

5 Likes

@olelovold - These tracks are great! Just M:S and DN? I’d love to hear more or see some behind the scenes of how you put these together. Did you record to DAW for post-processing? I’m just geting familiar with the M:S, but I should start pairing it with the Digitone for some jams. The recording quality is great too. Nice work!

Nice tunes. The M:S and DN seem a great combo. I’d like a poly synth groovebox to pair with my M:S Mono Station combo. The DN sounds pretty bright in both your tracks, can you get some grungier sounds out of it? I see it has some overdrive options onboard.

Between the wavefolder, overdrive, and filter, it can get darker.

I made this with 100% Digitone:

And to keep things on topic… Great thing about adding Model Samples is you can use it to play back drum sounds you synthesize with DN, and get 10 voices instead of 4.

6 Likes

Jeez reading through this thread is making me want a samples! Even though I essentially have one inside the Digitakt already… Battery handle for the Digitakt please?!?

Orange knob haters, I don’t understand you… The orange knob is so juicy and cute! Anyone that says the samples is ugly, you’re tripping! It looks awesome and tactile!

6 Likes

I like the look of the samples tbh. Everything about it literally feels like the first plastic electribes and to me this is glorious lol.

I spent some time with the M:S last night and I have to same for someone making tech-house/house/techno (whatever, I make fucking dance music) you can get pretty deep mangling some percussion sounds.

I’ve also found that with the feature set you can get some really loose grooves. This is surely the same on other Elektron boxes with even more features, but with everything right in front of me it really encourages experimentation even on the simplest samples.

If this had an audio input and two more audio tracks it would be a masterpiece (ok maybe a proper distortion or bit reducer as well).

3 Likes

Dang - that’s a great idea, and gives me another idea. It seems like it wouldn’t be too much work to create a bunch of sample chains of drum hits from the digitone for use in the M:S. If I manage to put that together, I’ll definitely share on the forum.

Granted, I’m partial to the color orange, but I love the orange knob. It’s a nice burst of color on the clean, white panel. I don’t find the M:S ugly at all. Frankly, due to the knobby layout, you almost don’t even need to look at it! Reach here for decay, reach there for reverb send, muscle memory develops quickly on this box.

3 Likes

Another thing I love about the MS that is unique to it is the little lights next to the encoders.
They light up when you have a parameter lock in play.
Great visual feedback when changing a complex pattern and trying to suss out all that it has going on.

And the way the screen shows the original position of a knob, so that you can get back to its last saved state, if necessary.

Nice, small workflow touches.

5 Likes

Arturia-style black edition announcement at Superbooth?

This is what makes it seem like such a good idea to me too.