Home of Sound Blawan Production Course

Everything was done inside Ableton. Kick was an 808 sample layered with another distorted 808 with some volume fades to blend them. The main bass thing was a random bass tone from Pigments with some filter modulation envelopes in an Ableton clip and then some shaper midi FX applied to some of the parameters inside pigments including the filter cutoff. After twiddling some knobs and recording I found a new loop within the carnage and then applied some chorus, delay and filter Fx and again twiddled whilst recording. Found a second loop in that carnage. Quick hat pattern on top. The ride loop came from resampling a hat whilst twiddling the knobs on some Fx (canā€™t remember which). I only had 30 mins so Iā€™m happy I finally got something usable. It is a fun approach.

2 Likes

I thought a bit about Blawanā€™s use of the Sonnox SuprEsser during the mixing/balancing stage. At one point he pulled out the SuprEsser to tackle the hi hats. He really smoothed out pretty much all of the metallic harshness of the hats (and I think he also used it later on the whole mix again to smooth out some high-mids harshness). I think this kind of smoothening certain elements probably plays a huge role in the final sound, much more so than I initially thought.

The SuprEsser is essentially a dynamic EQ tuned for de-essing, so something like the TDR Nova can be used if you donā€™t have that Sonnox plugin. Pro-Q3 is highly program dependent (attack, release and knee are all adjusted automatically), so Nova offers more control there like on the SuprEsser, but whatever works, works, right?

I bought Vcvrack2 directly influenced of the Woke up right handed Ep. I felt stuck in the same old sounddesigns and wanted to make the retarded modular basses as B does but im poor. It was very effective and smart of me.

Any tipps you want to share? :slight_smile:

I bought some of the Unfiltered Audio plugins Blawan used. Plugin Alliance still has some on sale (two days left).
He used Bass-Mint on the low end, Dent 2 for distortion for resampling, SpecOps and Sandman Pro for textures. Some I already had, bought Bass-Mint and SpecOps. SpecOps in particular seems to be such a gem! Endless possibilites there.

I spent some time building sounds with that resampling approach, maybe IĀ“ll post something in the next couple of days. Kinda hard to judge if what I did might be enjoyable by others^. :rofl:

1 Like