Hollow justifications for buying gear

I feel I’ve reached a certain maturity in my synthesis journey.
So, I’ve decided to go modular.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

But,… it IS the mk2.

1 Like

If I spend all my money on this then I won’t be able to buy any more gear. Problem solved.

8 Likes

„Winter, is coming!“

I know that’s not even a justification, but it still worked for me.
Just ordered a MODX6. Maybe i should search for a better justifications, this thread seams perfect for doing so :wink:

It just looks beautiful to look at even if I don’t play it then it’s a work of art

1 Like

My most common excuses have been, “Well I really don’t feel like making music in the computer today. Time to shop for samplers!” Or, “If X uses it then CLEARLY it is what I need if I want to get closer to their sound. There’s simply no other way to achieve this.” When in reality it’s Uber easy to emulate them with the computer. In fact, they probably use their laptop with Ableton to achieve these sounds but just show off the hardware.

I just came to this realization in my own basement space that you could call a studio.

I found this weird not quite right way of working and it works!

I actually like the music I make and want to make more of it.

Any new gear at this point would be purely out of curiosity. I honestly don’t need anything else.

It’s nice

2 Likes

Archaeology?
Fossilised OTs used by ancient aliens found in Machu Picchu, Puma Punku, S4, Groom Lake…

1 Like

My other gear is collecting dust, and because of my severe dust allergy I must buy more, to collect even more dust. Simples.

Except don’t tell anyone that I am not actually allergic to dust, else I’ll be busted :police_car: :policeman: :policewoman: :oncoming_police_car:

2 Likes

You ever read that book by FSOL that came with Dead Cities Ltd Edition?
About a guy who thought he could live forever if he snorted household dust as he was recycling himself…

You my man have been recycling for years :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve never played Zelda Breath of the wild so why not get a (game console) for it

2 Likes

I noticed that, when i watched a couple of episodes of Against the clock… Most artists grab their DAW. Only one i saw grabbing a hardware sequencer.

My justifications have been always the promise of having a different Sound or a different better cooler Feature that will definately make me happier and do cooler Music. The wisdom stroke me one time when i created a really cool smooth Ambient soundscape with nothing else but a simple Korg Kaossillator Pro…

1 Like

Thats what Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft calls: Systemseller. Yup they even have an economic term for it…
How fucked Up is that?

Maybe grabbing the DAW first is why most of those against the clock episodes end with a really boring little looping tune. Only a few I’ve seen are really compelling. To stay on topic, the only justification needed to buy more gear is “I have enough money in my bank account at this moment.”

1 Like

„I can afford it. I have to become comfortable with spending larger amounts on myself. This is not about the gear, this is about becoming comfortable with the flow of money.“

2 Likes