Hiphop Beat Battle #18: Voting and Feedback

Thanks to everyone. And yeah, good job all around. I think this is the closest one we’ve had?

My beat was mainly some synth bits from the Apocalypse Now soundtrack. The horn/strings were from the Alien soundtrack. And the drums were from the main song that I’m blanking on the name of. They were layered in with some drums from a Bloodstone record and a 606 kick and snare.

I also had some samples from “I Know You Got Soul” by Eric B and Rakin. My idea was to take that 18th going and pay a little tribute to the 18th letter man. But I didn’t flesh it out as much as I could have. I was going to also mix some bits from “Strong Island” by JVC Force but I didn’t get around to it.

Also

I think I’ve got it. But if you’ve got an idea of something in particular that you want to do, let me know. I want to set it up maybe tomorrow afternoon or Saturday.

And shout out to you. I never would have guessed you’d only been doing it for a year or so.

9 Likes

Thanks chap, appreciate it!

I have a couple of ideas, but if you have a concept go with that.

5 Likes

Yep :+1: good work from everyone

5 Likes

Looking back, I probably made 12 different beats for this. I submitted the most abstract one because at the time I liked it the best (track 10, the weird helicopter acid trip/horror film one). It was made on the Model Samples, not the Octatrack, but I like that you guessed OT, and I did use a crossfader for effects scenes (OBNE Expression Slider). If I could rewind the clock, I’d probably have submitted this one instead, which uses the horn sample from the Gene Chandler tune:

(Sorry Kable, I still can’t figure out how to format this correctly! I think I’m just gonna start a bandcamp)

I would have still lost though, because this room is insanely talented. I have to say though, I’m coming for ya’lls asses on #19. RFT Shout out to the winners, you guys made some serious heat! Shout out Symian, and to Sym’s little one. Shout out to Cool Doug Love, monquixote, Yabba, 1-2, and everyone that participated. I’m so glad to be a part of this tape.

6 Likes

And you’re right @Yabba, 6 grew on me for sure.

@1-2, your beat is staying in regular rotation!

And I’m gonna put some raps on @Jedilicious’s beat! So excite!

2 Likes

Congrats @Doug, @Symian, @monquixote, and @1-2! Great tracks and a deserved win.

Shout out to @Yabba for the track and also hosting. The level on these battles is consistently high and there’s some crazy talent here. Before we started these battles I always felt like there were maybe 3 or 4 elektron hiphop heads here, but this is turning into a serious community!

I’ve not been as active in these battles and on the forum as before but I’m very glad that the battles keep getting better. Like @Funk_Illuminati I plan to be more present and take out everybody with a swift K.O in the next round :wink: (I actually expect to be K.O’d but one should be ambitious).

I was surprised multiple people got some kind of zelda vibes from my track haha. It was mainly sampled from apocalypse now, and the vocal sample is Roxanne Shante, not Navi. Both legends though…

12 Likes

I didn‘t have as much time to work on my beat as in the previous battles, so I just sampled the one song and only put some little doom figaro snippets above it.
Still liked the chops, they felt kind of unusual for me.
Did the beat in koala on the ipad but as usual I arranged and mixed it in ableton.

Great edition! Thanks @Yabba
@Doug I really loved your beat. One of the best I heard yet in these battles, the vibe totally catches me in all the best ways.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Lol, I just realized that RFT, according to Google search is Request for Tender, or Re-Fucking Tweet. I actually meant Real Fucking Talk.

Congrats to the top picks @Doug @Symian @monquixote @Yabba @1-2 and also to all the people who joined and blessed the fresh beats :beers: It was a lot of fun being a part of this challenge, and really looking forward to the next one in store!

4 Likes

Late reply, but congrats to Doug symian monquixote & yabba - really liked all your tracks, as mentioned in my vote post: sorry I didn’t have time for detailed comments/ feedback this time even though they were floating around my head

Way behind on music time here, but a quick synopsis for my track : came together very quickly off a loop from the main sample layerd with some pitched alien part that was toward the beginning of the sndtrk. Layerd some more eq’d gene chandler sampls w the vox parts and some pieces cut from a couple breaks on the drums. Some lyte vocals and fake scratching with lfo and some manual pad stuttering on the mpc. Topped with a quick quote from alien and apocalypse to round it out. Ran through comp no mixing or polish quick from the gut, not much time so kept it very simple and fast but couldn’t help adding some subtle spice to keep it from getting to stale. Had a lot of fun making it.

5 Likes