Hiphop Beat Battle #14: Voting and Feedback

Yo, here are my votes!

Vote RZA:
Track 21 - a no brainer. It has it all: a fuckload of attitude, that dirty wu funk that makes necks snap, a nasty bassline, reverby claves, that simple yet effective melodic gimmick… Oh and that “ra-ta-ta” snare roll, soooo good. All in all, a rich and detailed beat that fuses with the flows in a spot-on fashion. Could be a touch dirtier mixingwise for even more wu mojo.

RZA runner up:
Track 12 - a super solid hiphop track that just works. I could listen to it while walking by night, skating, driving, having a vibe with my mates… It sounds like a classic. Yet, it lacks a tiny bit of that Wu weirdness to be the winner. But superb hiphop track all in all.

RZA second runner up:
Track 18 - a super funky yet mellow vibe, it has something very soundtracky to it. I love what you did with your switch-ups, the mid-track break is sooooo dope. The way you blend samples is impressive, salute!

ODB vote :
Track 19 - the spirit of ODB runs strongly in this one. Pure what-the-fuckery in the most positive way. What can I say? It’s chokefull of insane ideas that flow more or less fluidly into each others, giving it a “there’s a whole crew up in this brain, battling for the control” vibe. Please, make the section starting around 00:55 a full track, that would be a killeeeeer.

ODB runner up:
Track 6 - love that off kilter, super wonky, heavy vibe. The drums are so dope, love that “ready to collapse” feel. Lots of sound design madness running around. Really imaginative!

ODB second runner up :
Track 15 - love the jazzy collage vibe here. To me, it evokes a scene where the Wu members are mc’ing to the sound of an insane ODB scrolling through radio stations in a super smoky living room.

And a large up to everyone, the tracks were all super dope in their own way and it was honestly pretty hard to choose! Makes me want to go samurai training on my beatmaking.

8 Likes

Track 5 and 9, there is dope remix but hard to decide with a capella, such classic sounds

3 Likes

Rza award track 21

This is just another level. Production, mixing, everything is just pro level. That bassline really makes it for me, would sound huge on a big system in a club. The use of the acca and quirky samples has my head nodding and haven’t even had my breakfast yet. Can I have a copy to dj out please 

Honourable mentions to track 7 and TBH I wish I could pick 2 as I loved this track. Had me hooked from the first few bars in the intro then it kicks in and boy does it kick. I really like the little scratch with the kick and the layering of samples. It all sounds really solid and tightly mixed. Acca works perfectly and lifts the track to another level

ODB award track 15

This is sampling greatness and definitely fits the criteria of giving something fresh and different. Reminded me a bit of prince paul to begin with. I got to the end and went back to to the start to listen again which is always a good sign. I found the composition and use of samples really interesting and intricate. Excellent stuff

Honourable mentions go to track 8 which reminds of something the chems would have dropped in their set back in the days of the heavenly social. Hip hop with a strong electronic vibe

Also track 9 as I enjoyed how the beats and sampled played of each other and clever use of effects. Track 16 was a total beaut also. Damn too many I liked

5 Likes

Do you mean to vote for 5 and 9 for RZA and ODB award?

Love these reviews guys! I wont be able to vote as I didn’t actually participate this time (I though it would be unfair since I provided my own samples).

I’ll give my review of all tracks sometime when most people voted… truly impressed by all the tracks you guys made!

6 Likes

Yes RZA 5 and ODB 9 for the sample :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@Jedilicious
@waftlord
@HoldMyBeer
@Roman01
@Unifono
@sleepside
@Doug
@1-2
@Yabba
@rockpapergoat

2 Likes

@looms
@PineappleDave
@PeteSasqwax
@Kpucski

Just as a heads up, tomorrow (friday) is the final day to vote!

3 Likes

I won’t miss the vote tomorrow, listening through entirely is the first thing on the list when I finish work for the weekend. looking forward to it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

RZA 16
ODB 18

some great beats all round

6 Likes

Planning to vote tonight. I gave a once-thru, but I want to go back over in detail. Good beats and stiff competition (as usual)

3 Likes

Ok… this was way too hard and i didn’t get another proper listen, so I am just gonna go with my gut feeling:

RZA Award:

Track 7. This just screams early RZA to me. And those drums! :heart:

HM: track 21. I think this is objectively the best track of the bunch, but it felt more Wu-Tang forever than 36 chambers. And I am a 36 chambers snob

HM2: Track 6 had an instant Liquid Swords vibe, and to me that is the second best Wu album ever.

ODB award:

Track 11: crazy, glitchy, drunk feeling and I could imagine ODB spitting some weird off beat lyrics on this.

Track 19: very ODB,
Not only because of the samples, but also because this beat seems to be high on acid

7 Likes

I’ve done my usual and created such a long ‘short list’ it’s taking me a while. Every single beat has got something going on, really enjoying them all. Will def get in there with a decision tomorrow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No hurry! Just making sure everyone saw this… So far the voting has been very varied and a lot of different tracks are someones favorite!

3 Likes

I’m just shortening my short list… Or trying to :grimacing: This is too difficult, man, but I’ll get there!

3 Likes

There were a lot of great beats but I found it pretty easy to zero in on my favorites. They just clicked with me.

RZA

Track 7 was the standout for me. Everything really fit together well. And the vocals really worked on the beat.

I also want to give props to whoever did track 16. I really liked how you prettied up a pretty low fidelity sample. And the RZA sample was absolutely perfect.

ODB

Track 19 really did it for me. Mainly the first minute or so. When all this is done, I think if you sped this up to 140 and retooled the drum patterns this would make a pretty great UK grime track.

So yeah, great work everyone.

7 Likes

Okay, this was tough. Crazy talent all around. Congrats to everyone who participated. I’m going to say that I’m not being a WU purist here. There are some tracks that really fit the bill, but I also gotta consider that feeling you get when something really grabs your attention and you just want to listen a few times, put it in your earphones for a rainy day etc. So with that said…

RZA: 12 - I appreciate the layering and complexity. Everything just works here and the verses feel like they really belong. The chords and strings morph so beautifully.
ODB: 5 - The build up is so good. This makes me want to go outside and smash bottles. Perhaps I’d just go skate around and work on my grinds/ nose slides. All I want to do is get this on vinyl and scratch to this.

And now some honorable mentions. The following beat makers were really impressive in their own way. I’m not sure what category, but solid, imaginative work.

1 - This sounds it like it belongs on the first Kill Army LP, so props for nailing that vibe.
4 - Low down and grimy. I love the bass line and also would love to ear this while skating.
7 - This one almost got my #1 RZA vote. I wish I could get my beats to sound this professional. Also, just nailing the spirit of Wu-Tang here. It’s super impressive.
8 - So if RZA and Daft Punk had a baby, I guess it would sound like this. Enough said. Props for originality.
9 - Damn, the bass line on this one is so good. I love this loungey dub vibe.
16 - If there was a “most cinematic” category, this would be #1. This sounds like the music that sets up an epic battle, some show down scene or maybe an act of retribution, something weighty and powerful. Respect.
21 - Another close RZA award contender. Solid, well crafted, undeniably WU.

9 Likes

RZA Award:
7 – So remember when HoldMyBeer said RZA might be participating… Jokes aside, you’ve totally nailed the sound, and it’s set up so nicely that the final callback feels like the sun coming out

ODB Award:
15 – Highly detailed cartoon jazz, doing silly things in a sophisticated way. I’m still not sure how I feel about the vocal processing, but it definitely has a sound, which is totally correct for the ODB award

RZA Honorable Mentions (playlist order):
4 – That prowling bass and high rattling percussion give this such a hollow, creepy vibe. Pure Gravediggaz. And what an appropriate movie sample. This was an extremely close second, and I’m genuinely surprised it hasn’t gotten more love
14 – More spookiness, but this time I want to highlight the bouncy kick line, crunchy srr noise, and something that sound to me like hungry chewing. Deliberately discomforting, yet it sways. I love it
18 – Some of the nicest classic drums of the bunch. So fluid that it’s easy to miss the transitions and how much effort you must have put into them. With apologies to Maya Angelou, easy listening is damn hard writing.
21 – Perfectly grimy, changes moods with the smallest variation, head nodding the whole time. I like this.

ODB Honorable Mentions (playlist order):
6 – Like the best ramshackle one-man band I never heard. The only problem I have is the vocals, which are too far back in the mix. Otherwise super impressed with how many different sounds you were able to get and still make it coherent. I really like this
9 – This could’ve easily felt like just demoing FX, but instead you gave us a psychedelic tour while finding ways to keep us oriented. Delightful
19 – The best reminder to think outside of typical sounds for your samples. It knows how good these sounds are and presents them in a way that we can love them too. Episodic, deliberately so, but it grooves. A close second.

Full Notes:
1 – That bass is butter, and I like the way you play with your soundtrack sample, throwing in the faster decays and reverses
2 – Dreamy vibe, and you get a lot out of relatively short loops without overstaying your welcome. I wanna know what the 3 minute version would sound like, just to hear you push further into the dream
3 – The layered thunk/snap was instantly attention-grabbing, as was the strummed turnaround. I wish the string stings were a little higher in your mix
5 – Your off-grid timing is your secret weapon here, breathing life into every layer
8 – Hip House! I like the genre meld, and your strings and dialog are good flips. I wish there were more; it felt like it ended just as it was getting started
10 – Dubby fun, like listening to a party 200 ft underground. Love the choral oohs. I wish there was a bit more variety; I don’t feel like your B-section loop was enough of a break from the main loop
11 – I like the burglar alarm sound and general urgency of the main verse loop. I wish there was more of a connection between the alarm loop and the horn loop, though. Instead, it feels like two songs watching each other through a peephole
12 – Rich layers and luxe strings, just the right length
13 – With how moody trap usually is, it’s fun hearing you match such a sunny soul sample. I do think your bass works against you sometimes, muffling the acapella
16 – Gorgeous cinematic sample choices and effect freezes. I want to hear you do more in this style. Like 13, I feel like the bass is talking over your beat instead of being a part of it
17 – This beat is the chillest dude at the party, all groove and mellow sounds. I do wish the break in the middle were shorter because it feels like too much time to me to go grooveless
20 – It’s a strong wintry loop and great low-key drum kit. However, I started wishing the song had another trick up its sleeve about halfway through

13 Likes

RZA- #1 I had shut it off on the first listen because whoever made it seemed to put a lot of effort into it. I phoned mine in, so hearing a high quality track made me uneasy:)

ODB- #9 This track used a lot of the samples I planned on using but never got around to. I couldn’t help but imagine the Bastard himself doing something weird to this beat.

All tracks were really great. You all captured the vibe in one way or another, and reminded me of the uniqueness of early Wu-tang that made them standout.

9 Likes

RZA - #5

It just nails that whole early Wu approach. It feels like it’s held together by pure determination to make all the sounds work and that attitude is somehow embedded into the beat like glue itself.

ODB - #2

Doesn’t feel like a Wu beat at all on some levels but it’s also something that would absolutely work as a one. The drums are perfectly filthy and they set the tone for all the other sounds that almost become dirty by association.

Shouts to everyone involved. I guarantee this collection bangs harder than ‘Once Upon A Time In Shaolin’ :open_hands:

8 Likes