Hip hop heads how do you create and processed your drums?

Well I guess one of the reasons could be that the American Soul/funk/jazz records are indeed getting expensive because they’re sough after both by hiphopproducers digging for samples and hipsters/audiophiles who like having this music on vinyl for the sake of it.

Here in Amsterdam I do find a lot of cheap weird dutch or french jazz, obscure european film music, chansons etc, all of which often contain great sample material for cheap. Nobody seems to be collecting Reinbert de leeuw records for instance :joy:

1 Like

I would quite figuratively kill for a cheap supply of that stuff. Maybe you should start a business :tongue:

1 Like

As for weird dutch songs from the 60s I can recommend the Radiooooo App! Its not vinyl but the coolest random sample source if you use your phone or pad for sampling!!!

2 Likes

Classic HipHop Sampler could help if you want to go that way;

2 Likes

@TobySD yes looking for s900 or better the S950
But a little bit expensive here.300-400e for the s900 and 650e for the s950…

For drums you can go for a akai s20, very easy to use and sound good.

2 Likes

Where are you G?

Expensive everywhere now. I gave the S900 away back in the day … :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Want to get “dat crunch” but short on money? Protip: get a Volca Sample, pitch up your samples one or two octaves before importing them, pitch them down in the Volca… Instant aliased crunch!

1 Like

France

I’ve got a really beat up sp202 kicking around that i use almost strictly for processing samples. you can pick them up pretty cheap without the memory card (which isn’t really needed) if you do some searching

2 Likes

Yes thinking about buy one for this lo fi color

1 Like

+1 for the sp202 just got one

1 Like

enjoy the filth !

I had the 202 and 303, the 202 is so lofi. Almost unusable unless you are very in the lofi game.
The 303 is much better I think but always adding more gears to have that sound also add complexity and cables and won’t make better tracks.
My advice : stay on one sampler.

2 Likes

202 can become very lofi yes but sampling at the “standard” setting doesn’t loose much if any quality and imparts a certain character to the sound. now if you’re sampling at lofi1 or lofi2 that’s when you start losing all your high end and your samples get mad crunchy.

I feel like we are really on the cusp of a new golden era of sampling because everything has been found and everything has been sampled already, because of this the next plato won’t be finding something so obscure that your prowess will reside in your getting to it first but rather how you flip the most overused, already sampled samples will be the niche that sets skill sets apart from one another. You used to get beat up for sampling something someone else sampled first and presenting it as your work but now you gotta sample the most known loop to mankind and flip it in a way that’s never been done.

2 Likes

I’m ok with one sampler but how do you color your sample? Digitakt is very clean sampler no?
Pedals effects? Or use internal effect of digitakt?

There’s a Digitakt technique for degrading samples via resampling as shown by Ricky Tinez here:

2 Likes

Thanks for digitakt user

I don’t color the sound. Digitakt itself color the sound a bit. I use good quality vinyls and try to choose the right sample.
In the mastering process, I add some FX that color a bit more the sound. But I find the more you try to go lofi, the worst is your track. Just keep a copy of your clean track, and A/B compare with a heavy lofi processing and you maybe will prefere the clean DT version. Lofi crunch FX should be very subtle I think.