Hip hop heads how do you create and processed your drums?

7 Likes

Thanks for this! Going to watch it with my French speaking gf right now. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Toute ma jeunesse iam!

1 Like

Yes!

Is this the dude who did this album?

If so, heā€™s also pretty well known in the Netherlandsā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah he does most of the beats for IAM (Akhenaton takes part in the beatmaking process a lot as well)

For the french speaking peeps, here is a cool podcast where he explains how he made the track ā€œLā€™Ecole du Micro dā€™Argentā€. Itā€™s a masterclass in sampling techniques.

https://www.arteradio.com/son/61658772/beatmakers_s1_1_10_imhotep_pour_iam

4 Likes

Yes, he is the beatmaker of IAM :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Donā€™t know this podcast

(Je vais regarder Ƨa merci pour le lien)

1 Like

Holy shnikes! Samples from Mars is selling everything for $39. Thereā€™s so much. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Akhenaton did most of the beats of this album, followed by imhotep, kheops and shurikā€™n. All the members was involved in the beatmaking process. imhotep is one of the best beatmakers worldwide. He was the first who sample world music in the early nineties.

This album is still the best French hiphop work to date, the best selling ever and lyricaly still on point, beats still banging, a monument!
For me the only French hiphop album who can compete with classics Like illmatic or enter the wu tang.

4 Likes

Last time i went to one of their show was in Amsterdam, i didnā€™t know that people know them here, it was crazy!

1 Like

Even though few dutch people speak French very well, Petit Frere was played a lot on dutch tv. A french friend of mine copied the cd for me when I was 13, and I still know all the songs.

I Understood very little of the lyrics but the beats were amazing and one of the reasons I got into making beats myself, so even though I didnā€™t know who he was before, to me this guy is a legend haha.

2 Likes

I still listen to Imhotepā€™s blueprint (instrumental solo album) regularly !

Beat-wise, you can also take a look at Voltage controller : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5lgf7eGD04pPc9oQ8cl15w

He uses Octatrack, Digitakt, Digitone and AR. He seems to use drums/rythms sampled from AR, layered with samples on Octa or Digitakt (nice use of EQ) + synths.
Quite a performer ! (some of his beats are really really dope)

1 Like

take your time, never make a beat in 10min or less.

But to answer your first question, for hiphop boombap, i use Goldbaby Mpc60 pack and goldbaby sp1200 pack everytime. For me this packs are the best i ever found for hiphop, a lot of vinyl samples and all the classics drum machines. I tried a lot of samples packs like samples from mars, rawcutz, elab, wave alchemy, even chopping drumbreaks by myself but i always come back to those 2 goldbaby samples packs. I use them for years.
The samples are mono, everything usable, only one shots and pretty cheap (thereā€™s a black friday discount of 40% now).
The mpc 60 collection is a must have for 90ā€™s sounding beatmakers, and if youā€™re looking for lā€™ecole du micro dā€™argent Like drums, go for it! The sp1200 collection sound more boombap/old school dirtyest, but excellent to.

6 Likes

Confirmed.

Also check: The Kount

2 Likes

Good dusty boom bap drum samples, e.g. Rawcutz samples.
Or chopping up drumbreaks, gives extra human feel (since played by a human) :slight_smile:
Most of the time I donā€™t slice them down to individual hits but to eights or quarter notes, to preserve the human timing

Or a mix of both above, I do this mainly. I layer even several different drumbreaks with my own programmed beat. Up to 3-4 breaks sometimes, and match them with eq (use only the kick from one break for example, layer it with a programmed kick, but eq all low end from the other breaks)

Ableton drum buss for some crunchyness.
Heavy parallel compression on the drum group
Some valhalla room on the drum group to give them all the same sonic identity

1 Like

cool, never tried these. Have to check them
Just downloaded everything from samples from mars, so I have a sample overkill at the moment :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I like taking a bunch of one shot drum samples and resampling them at double speed into a very simple 16 step drum loop after applying overdrive, bit reduction, compression, and a tiny bit of delay and reverb. I resample at double speed to save space on the Digitakt (it has 1gb of space), and to make the drum sound more lofi. By baking in all the FX into the drum loops themselves, theyā€™ll sound as if theyā€™ve been sampled off an old record. Iā€™ll do this again and again, switching out the samples but keeping the same pattern, and end up with a bunch of drum loops. Also I made a tutorial for it here:

I use the same pattern for every drum loop so that when I slice and rearrange it into a new beat, I can switch out the sample if I want a different ā€œkitā€. It also lets me use 1 track on the Digitakt do play the main beat, leaving me with 7 tracks to do other things. Iā€™m not comfortable finger drumming, so I like to think out a rythm in my head and then program it into the Digitakt. Since Iā€™m using drum loops with overdrive and compression already baked in, I can make them even more punchy by further overdriving and compressing it. Iā€™ll also do things like boost the kick with a high-pass filter with a lot of resonance and a bit of envelope depth to sweep over the kickā€™s sweet spot, or make transients snappier by using an LFO with an exponential shape assigned to bit reduction to add extra noise right at the start of the trig. I made a video on my thought process here:

Lately Iā€™ve been really having fun with the Digitone, too. Making drums on it has a completely different process than resampling, so it was really challenging to find a nice workflow. I really like using the Digitone for drums, because each trig sounds slightly different so you donā€™t get that machine gun effect. As long as you turn off phase reset, that is. Snares also sounds surprisingly natural when changing the AMP decay time. I made a tutorial on how I make my drums here:

Sorry about the video spam :smiley:

9 Likes

no spam, most welcome knowledge sharing

1 Like