Hip-Hop Beatmakers view on the Digitone?

I think it really depends on what sound you’re going for more than the genre itself. IMO, for more lofi “dusty” hip hop, the Digitone probably wouldn’t be the best use of $700. But, I’m a firm believer in making the gear work for you, not vice versa, so maybe it could be perfect for lofi if you bend it to your will! I think for more synthy styles it will be amazing. I plan to get one later on in the year. I had a Volca FM and I used it in quite a few hip hop productions. Some examples below :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/fushiginageist/exotic-luxuries?in=fushiginageist/sets/new-wave-outlawz-psychedelic-melancholia

https://soundcloud.com/fushiginageist/for-the-night-prod-hot-science

4 Likes

This quote needs to be read by the plethora of complainers, that have appeared here recently.

7 Likes

Exactly!

I was going for some hard-hitting, East coast-flavored ‘reality’ raps, in the vein of Alchemist, Mobb Deep, CNN, and Tragedy Khadafi–with neck-snapping snares, decrepit piano samples, static crackle, and artillery reports. But, ah, I don’t know if I could f*ck with the “Diggy” tone without completely alienating my crew… What, with those Fruity Pebbles candy buttons, Doogie Hauser bells, no song mode-havin’, Jerry Seinfeld bass interludin’ slap schpazz, and whatnot. It’d be corny a.f., not to mention those fizzy, Yamaha PSS-560-soundin “bass” bleats. Dunno if it’s a good look a.t.m., I gotta maintain some level of authenticity. It ain’t where you’re at, it’s where you’re from. Stay true to your hip hop roots, IMO

3 Likes

Gettin Diggy with it…na na naah na na naaah na!!!

IMO it’ll be perfect for creating Prefuse-style glitchy bleeps and arps.

2 Likes

This video show a little more of what we might be into or anybody really…arppegiator looks dope too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIba6xPhe0g

Really? I’d suggest listening to more hip-hop if this is how you think. An MPC and turntables does not make you hip-hop. Dr. Dre used all types of synths. Ever heard of Mantronix? “What synths are good for hip-hop?” seems like the least hip-hop question a person could ask imo.

1 Like

Very appealing to me, i make chill out synth heavy hiphop beats like the one below.
Having the stereo thru on the digitone will be nice to plug the OP1 into!

2 Likes

I reckon it’ll be decent for some Tip-Hop!

Especially the sound of that bass toward the end and how it’s sequenced :+1:

1 Like

Abusing plocks on the digitakt makes the volca fm a quite good modules.

Pretty sure this is what I am going to do. Something about the DN…two of them would take the cake!

1 Like

Glitch hop as well. I feel like Prefuse 73 would have s field day with the DN.

1 Like

I sampled all drum sounds from my DN into the DT for easier retrigging. It’s fucking awesome.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of using the DN+DT for HipHop, GlitchHop, etc.
I’ve been gigging and recording with this combo for the past year, I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.
I don’t sample the Digitone into the Digitakt often, I like to play them both live.

4 Likes

I just got my 2nd Digitone. TripHop is their destiny I feel. Just need to use my blackbox for vocal samples and other ambient extras.

Not really hip hop but it’s got a nice feel. First time paired up:

Can’t wait to learn more

1 Like

I love DN for hip hop. A quick example I did last night. All sounds except sub from DN:

7 Likes

You really make the drums sound real! Nice

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been messing with the new track probabilities for a bit of variation :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool beat. Love it ! DN sounds amazing. I’m impress by the drums sound quality.

1 Like