Hip-Hop Battle #19 voting and feedback

I think today’s the last day for voting, right? How are folks feeling?

2 Likes

Here’s my votes and well done everyone.

1st …. 7
I know it’s not the most rock sounding one but I’m voting for the type of beat I like and it’s straight up hip hop and made from the submitted samples so I think it deserves a first place vote.

2nd…. 8
I agree with all the comments from others really good stuff and very well put together.

3rd…. 10
Great dark atmosphere, love the little vocal bits too.

Honourable mentions to every single one of you and I would’ve preferred to vote for a top 5 as there was so many.

Salute

Edit: probably the first battle where I couldn’t even begin to guess who made which beat.
So really looking forward to the reveal on this one

8 Likes
  1. 3
  2. 11
  3. 20

These were great, i enjoyed listening to all of them. i’m trying to get my results in on time while i’m at work, so i don’t have the time for more comments, unfortunately…

6 Likes

Great job guys. This one took me some time to decide on. I’ve never had this many honorable mentions I think. Most of the tracks clearly showed a lot of skills, even the ones that weren’t my favorites stylewise.

1. Beat 20
  2. Beat 07
  3. Beat 08

HM: 3, 13, 16, 19

Notes on all tracks:

1. Nice abstract sound. Reminds me of something MF DOOM would rap over.
  2. Dope combination of bassline and drums. Good job of actually making a guitar solo out of samples!
  3. Nice wobbly effect on the keys. I like the drums and the overall eerie sound of this track. Prodigy would’ve killed this beat a couple of years ago. Great overall production on this one.
  4. One of the most rock-sounding tracks of the bunch. I really like the break at around 0.45. The drum fills later are also very nicely done.
  5. Love the sound of the kickdrum on this one. The guitar makes this one sound both rock-like, and like a very catchy early 2000’s hiphop track.
  6. Dope fx on the drums… is that the octatrack? Love the overall glitchyness, and the breakdown at 1.47.
  7. Very nice mix on this one. The drums and horns sound perfect. The tiny variations are very well done. This is something I would love to listen to as part of a beattape.
  8. Very energetic, and I like the drum groove on this one. I recognise some Dutch rock sample here… love it! Overall very well done track!
  9. Dope sounds in this one. Very trippy, and layered. This reminds me of something that would be on one of madlibs quasimoto projects.
  10. I like the energy of the second beat, overall this track seems to be less loud than the rest of the bunch here.
  11. Nice choppy drums, and great job on making things sound both acoustic and electronic at the same time. Really like the sound design on this one, even if it isn’t my preferred style of music.
  12. Haha this one makes me think of some drunk band playing a gig. Would work great for a Danny Brown song. I like the reversed drums.
  13. Nice groove, nice mix. I like the use of silence in this one, something I could learn from. Also dope scratches going on. Great buildup.
  14. Really dope intro here, very menacing. Once the bass and pad sounds come in, this turns into a something that would be perfect as a soundtrack to some dystopian film.
  15. The buildup makes me picture a band starting their soundtrack with each bandmember coming in in turn. The distorted guitars sound perfect.
  16. Another one that would work great as a soundtrack, this one for a montage of people using all kinds of substances haha. Very hypnotic sounding track, great job on the arrangement here.
  17. Very different from the rest of the tracks. I like the eerie synth sound and the chords coming in at around 1.15. Once the drums enter the groove is amazing, well done!
  18. Nice and chaotic track. The violin (?) going crazy is very nice and caries this one.
  19. Nice atmospheric mix, dope sounds. Another one that would work great as a soundtrack. Very well done, this clearly shows some skill with samples.
  20. Damn the way this one starts is amazing. Love the horn sound and the variations in the drums. Very well done.
  21. Very original use of samples. I like the way everything blends together. The drums are nice and punchy.
11 Likes

First, a shout out to all who submitted a track; this was difficult to judge.

Second, here is my voting:

1st place - #20 (good overall track/really nice beat & drums)

2nd place - #10 (liked the beat, drums, and use of box)

3rd place - #9 (I really enjoyed the beat & I liked the arrangement)

HMs - #1, #2, #5, & #6

7 Likes

That is correct

2 Likes

1st: track 11 - love the constant evolution of the track, fusing calm and chaos
2nd: track 3 - solid all around, almost maddening lol
3rd: track 13 - I really like the way this one just meanders around, keeping you at home while never getting stale

another fun battle, appreciate all the work everyone puts in to make this space so constructive, creative, and positive!

9 Likes

there were more tracks this time than i expected. nice work, everyone. for some reason, i thought people would go heavy on the rock side, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. you all put together pretty different tracks. i honestly can’t tell who did what here, so kudos to all. i also wasn’t sure i’d even have something ready for this battle. it’s encouraging to see all the participation, new and old. i hope you’re all well.

1. this audio collage has some interesting elements. i was hoping it would go somewhere else, but it kind of stuck to the same theme.
  2. nice punchy drums, possibly a single cycle bass in there. those guitar chops somehow make me imagine a battle between robots using guitars as weapons. i dig the electric piano melody. this could be a little more rock.
  3. laid back tempo, fat bass, classic rock vocal chops… pretty nice. it rolls along nicely with the vocals and guitars swirling in and out in the middle. feels like a good melding of rock and hip hop elements here.
  4. nice use of the black sabbath guitars. i dig the rockiness of this one. it’s short but sweet, packing in the guitars. melt some faces!
  5. this intro gave me sade in a tunnel vibes until the guitar kicked in. it feels like a dreamscape floating along for awhile. the sparse mix is interesting, but the guitars get a little too loud later.
  6. your track flips through the radio dial on its way to a solid middle section. there’s a lot bubbling under the surface.
  7. quiet storm intro made me think there was more rock in there somewhere, but no. it’s a nice steady jam, though.
  8. wide soundstage, solid beat and bass… the chops and melody work well as a song. good stuff!
  9. ease into the intro, then we’re off on s short journey. nice variation for such a short track. this has that old school vibe bit not a lot of rock. i dug it, nonetheless.
  10. that delay on the vocal intro is a nice touch. oof… dig the sinister vibes in here. that’s usually not my thing, but your track flows really well. mix sounds like a beat tape, too.
  11. haha… i couldn’t tell if my file was messed up somehow. those stutter breaks and drop outs totally tricked me. maybe i’m getting too old. this one rides along really well after that intro section — good variation kept it interesting throughout.
  12. the processing on this one is pretty unique. it’s like a harmonica and guitar hoe-down… an interesting and brief track.
  13. the intro morphed really nicely into a smooth track. this reminds me of being a teenager, listening to music to pick out all the different samples. solid track, whoever made this!
  14. those stretched out and stuttered guitars sound like horns. i kind of wanted them to turn into whale songs. this track feels like an emo beat; really interesting with the atmospheric textures.
  15. hey, it’s a rock show. huge drums, huge guitars, ozzy yelling. i want to knock over a marshall stack.
  16. ooh… very nice. this one has that liquid quality. i love clangy cymbals, too. these cymbals are clangin’ and back masked. i like the build up, the distorted bass, the violin sounding melody which is probably guitar. this track goes places.
  17. hey, some industrial snuck in there? intro feels like it’s misleading me, but let’s see where this goes. aha, i see. it builds to that beat. cool track, nice filter sweeps and warbles.
  18. electro vibes… i dig those chops. the drums work really well. this track left me wanting more — either more variation or another section. nice work.
  19. neat track with pockets of reverb everywhere. maybe this is a rock dream.
  20. a quick and filtery romp. i like this little track. the drums hit nicely. give us some more!
  21. we’re in a factory — a factory of beats. this one takes awhile to get going but does so steadily. nice work.

first: 8
second: 13
third: 16

oh, also… since when can you not play audio files with the music player on iTunes?! i apparently live under a rock.

10 Likes

Might need an update/fresh install? :thinking: If you’re looking for a lighter-weight player I recommend an older, but trusty player called VLC. It may be considered outdated nowadays, but I like it. It just works. (unpaid spokesperson transmission over)

1 Like

ha… no, i’m up to date, just haven’t played any audio files in recent years. it’s forcing me to survey the landscape now.

3 Likes

If you highlight the file in finder, and press space bar, it should open a player for you.

And if I download an audio file, it usually opens Apple Music for me, which I close down, because you can preview files a lot faster in finder.

Once you highlight and press space bar, you can then scroll through the file list, and the player will go through the tracks.

I bet if you highlight the entire file list, and right click, you could open it with whatever program is in the list for that type of file.

2 Likes

Ju-ju all-star this one.

1 Like

I just like helping people!

BTW, once @Doug reveals the submissions, I will update the playlist to reflect which track is from whom.

5 Likes

I know you do. And you deserve flowers for it.

5 Likes

1- 8
2- 16
3- 10

Hm 20. 11. 9.

5 Likes

Alright gang, here are my votes:

1. Beat number 8. So spoiler alert, this one won by a pretty healthy margin. And it’s easy to see why. Everything flows together. And it really nails that rock theme.

2. Beat number 3. That piano loop you put together is just killer. The whole thing is great but I really love that loop.

3. Beat number 10. I think I’m biased towards this one because it flipped that King Crimson. I really dig the way that you had all those vocals popping in with the delay. It’s a nice contrast to the sort of slow rolling feel of the rest of it.

Honorable Mention:

Beat 18. I should have let you cheat and throw some rap vocals on this. I love this electro vibe you had going with this. I also love the fact that I would have never in a million years thought to do that with that loop. But it made complete sense when you did it.

Anyway, now for the big reveal. Our winners are:

1. Beat Number 8, which was made by @Unifono
  2. Beat Number 3, which was made by @Yabba
  3. Beat Number 16, which was made by @wumpushunter

Beat 1 - Jedilicious
Beat 2 - flipinfantile
Beat 3 - Yabba
Beat 4 - sleepside
Beat 5 - emadb
Beat 6 - rhoslug
Beat 7 - malus_mons
Beat 8 - Unifono
Beat 9 - aarb420
Beat 10 - Sleepyhead
Beat 11 - error.eyes
Beat 12 - Funk_Illuminati
Beat 13 - 1-2
Beat 14 - eerieacid
Beat 15 - rockpapergoat
Beat 16 - wumpushunter
Beat 17 - monquixote
Beat 18 - Sherelle
Beat 19 - jeye_musik
Beat 20 - Cool Doug Love
Beat 21 - flippantminister

Congratulations to all the winners and participants. And special thanks to @BLKrbbt for hosting the playlist.

I’m interested in reading about how all your beats came together. I’ll give a breakdown of mine a little later.

And finally, I saw this on Twitter. If you’ve got the means to help, we have an Elektronaut in need. @bloodmoneyperez contributed the Turkish guitar solo sample that a lot of us used but was unable to actually put together a beat for the battle.

14 Likes

@Unifono well played for the win sir.
And everyone else again
@Doug thanks for hosting and it’s good of you to share the appeal of someone in need and I’m sure all of us in a position to help, even in a small way will do so.

7 Likes

Well done @Unifono !

@Yabba always on the top 3! I can’t remember a battle where you were not in the winners list :sweat_smile:

Congratulations everyone !

6 Likes

Congrats @Unifono, @Yabba, and @wumpushunter! And well done to everyone–this was a strong competition.

Thank you @Doug for hosting! And thanks to everyone who listened and gave me feedback on my beat.

7 Likes

I feel so blessed to be a part of this magnificent tape. This is one I will always come back to, as long as it doesn’t get taken down because of some bs. Massive props to the winners. Well met everyone! This was a blast. I can’t wait to do it again. I won’t talk any more shit (aside from in the pms) because you homies just got too much good ju-ju, I don’t want to mess with it.

So I made the silly little short one. I actually made it in Audacity, even though that’s not even the best DAW I have (it’s free tho) and I have a studio full of awesome gear. Just felt like sitting at the other computer I guess. So, it was rushed, as some of you know. I talked shit and then procrastinated until the final moments and rushed in that 55 second clunker. I am working on a more polished longer version on hardware. I will share it somewhere here in the matrix eventually, and some of you may get to hear it then. It will be much more dynamic and different, that I can say for sure, but it wouldn’t have beat #17, #18, or #10, because those were straight ritual magick musick. K. That is all. -Purple Hearted Prophet.

9 Likes