High Sierra

this thread just makes me more and more curious…
Anyone using High Sierra on an older 2008-2010 Mac Pro tower?

I’d love to know if OB is working okay with MK1s on such macs.
When I tried Sierra, I had some GUI issues , so went back to Mavericks (where I can use the GUI, but the audio side is unreliable).

Basically, I just want to be able to get the full track count of 16bit audio streaming with 2 devices, and have the GUI update without issues so that I can program macros with the Overbridge VST. If the audio side is still borked/unreliable but the GUI is okay, I may still update so that I can run Live 10.

My Mac Pro has gobs of RAM and an SSD on a 6gbps PCI-E bus, so it can handle the High Sierra OS. But I’m not interested if it will break some of the OB issues my Xeon had with the older Sierra OS.

Totally different Mac here, but I know how you feel, still on Mavericks and my machine flys, been nervous to upgrade. It will break some stuff for me but I’ll also gain some stuff that I would really appreciate, and I’ll have a future ready machine for the next few years. From everything I’ve read it seems my machine will be OK, especially if a clean install is done, I think there’s even a chance it will work better.
Think I’ll wait till .3 and go for it, only one way to find out and it’s worth a shot!

1 Like

It would be immensely informative and helpful to let us know which specific laptop (year/cpu) you’ve installed High Sierra on.

Please don‘t go back on Mac OS to run Oberbridge. There are plenty of examples where it is working fine. His problem of having the machine not recognised is most likely a problem that can be solved (see my other comments). Best, Olaf

2 Likes

I can only speak for the 15“ MBPs with the tops specs from 2015 onwards. I have always updated o the latest OS versions and haven‘t had any issues. If a 2010 machine would do the job, that would actually be impressive. Olaf

Glad to hear that I could help. You will find that this forum is very good, people always ready to help each other, including some of the super experts, nerdy guys who must be sick of trivial repeated questions and who nevertheless remain calm and very helpful :slight_smile: . I have been on the receiving end before.

Your suggestion to chain, should work. Til February is a perfect time to learn the workflow. The forum is full of ideas for workflows and excellent videos around. My fav synthesis YouTube vid is from Scot Solida.

The answer to the other question is ‚yes‘, I use a mixer, or two. The QuPac for recording things and a PX5 for live mixing and FX.

Right now, with the switch to the MKIIs, the desk is packed full. Hopefully I can part from the MKIs, … hopefully.

Olaf

7 Likes

what a great collection of stuff

1 Like

Damn what’s ALL THAT OLAF ??? :stuck_out_tongue:

You do have a beautiful set up, apart from the quality I do like how tidy it is. I love your desk, is that custom made? I’m really struggling with physical space here at the moment so this desk looks like heaven. I know I’m going a bit of topic here. Just curious :smiley:

Apart from that, sure, I’ll have a read on everything and keep going on the studies over the Christmas break. Thanks mate.

I should not have posted the pic. I am trying to resist the „show your setup“ thread, which I love to read, worried that it is interpreted as „show off your setup“. There are lots of people here that have only a few pieces of kit but make not only most of it but also a lot more and better music. I enjoy the design of a setup, integrating new hardware, figuring things out as much as making music. For example, getting the MKIIs and recreating/transferring my music to the new machines, I discovered the pleasure of layering sounds. With two A4s, one can dedicate one to deep bass in unison mode, which is a surprisingly huge improvement to the sound. So, I will find it difficult time let go … . I always admire @AdamJay who once wrote that the equipment gets only a hotel with him, not a home. Since I really enjoy new gear, I will run into the same space problems everyone of us has :slight_smile: The table is a dining table (wider, longer) and the shelves are selfmade (with no tools and skills).

I should not have posted the pic - we are talking Overbridge and High Sierra!

I had a top spec 2016 MBP and after updating to High Sierra had Interne connectivity problems. I spent hours with the Apple service and had to bring my MBP to repair. They could not find anything. I now suspect it has something to do with the new USB specs and the use of certain cables and connectors. In general the changes may have improved things but if you have a certain cable … Because I totally rely on using the computer for my works (and which is why I don’t mind not using it for making music), I got a second MBP. It took seven hours to create a clone, only to realize that I still have problems - which is why I now think it’s the cables or adapters. In the process, I discovered the solution to the problem of machines not being recognized. Feels worth the effort if it has also helped someone else :wink:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old topic but…
I was forced to update to High Sierra, and now I cannot multitrack Keys + Rytm MK1 via Overbridge.
Whereas on Sierra I was able to turn on 6 channels on the Keys + 8 channels on the Rytm for a total of 14 channels, now I can only have a maximum of 6 channels between the two…
Running on a 2016 MacBook Pro 15" full specs, I really don’t know what to do here, should I go back to Sierra or hope for an Overbridge update?

can anyone help me with a workaround for Overbridge for High Sierra? , it’s 2018 and I’m using a fairly new rytm mki and OB 1.15 and my rytm won’t show up in overbridge , the AU and VST for rytm loads just fine in ableton but yeah if anyone can steer me in the right direction I’d love to use overbridge!

Check that the driver is not blocked in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.

4 Likes

Well it wasn’t “blocked” but i was able to work around this by booting into recovery mode opening terminal and inputing the command: csrutil disable
//
(WARNING: This disables “System Integrity Protection” and isn’t advised, you can enable it again with the command: csrutil enable )
//
Afterwords my Rytm is visible in Overbridge now, and all synced up over USB. (which i suggest to anyone syncing ableton an rytm because before i had bpm jumping via MIDI.)
found this workaround in either this thread or another similar one. Hope it helps someone unable to connect to Overbridge or if you cant set it in your privacy settings on mac.
I am running a 2011 Macbook pro updated to High Sierra , to anyone interested in this fix! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll add this just as closure for anyone else with similar issues
Not really High Sierra related except to say that I won’t ever be updating to it
But I had issues with OB and USB as soon as I installed (and I always do a clean install) Sierra

But Sierra didn’t break Overbridge.
Sierra broke the way in which my 2012 Mac Pro main USB ports were working.
For whatever reason, the OS X USB drivers that had been working perfectly with OB up until the update, suddenly started having issues.
I have an Apple Cinema Display 24" connected to my Mac Pro which connects to the display port of my video card. It also handles audio
It has two USB ports on the rear. If I use OB through these ports I have no problems

So in short Sierra fucked the built in USB ports on my Mac Pro. How shit is that?

1 Like

known issue … also on my macbookpro 2011. I openend a support ticket because my overhub control panel sees now only 1 device with full channels and the 2nd device with only main stereo. Elektron support got me the answer that Apple changend the usb drivers on the latest Sierra update. That´s why it doesn´t work anymore.

1 Like

i had no idea about that.

Thanks for this! I was trying to make my analog heat work all day. This did the trick!

macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra Edit : (with Airplay 2) yes of course we don’t care of that…
That’s a very good time to reinstall a Mac with everything you need for music, until OB2 beta and public release come ! Then forget MacOS Mojave and make as many track as you can !!!

How is Airplay 2 going to help us…?

1 Like