High pitch noise from monitors : help PLEASE

after a year of battle my computer, my gear, cables, sound cards…i have finally discovered the source of my trouble. my DAW.

i have been trying to discover the source of an incredibly high pitched noise coming from my monitors…and today i found the cause was Logic.
i REALLY dont want to change my DAW. ive been on Logic for 15+ years.

has anyone experienced this, if so, did you solve it…and how?

the noise drives me mad…and now i know the source…i NEED to fix it.

thanks

Mmm…never heard of any daw making noises on their own?
It must be a problem elsewhere. Monitors?
Unplug everything, still make the noise?
If not plug in one thing at a time to eliminate

Maybe your soundcard? Noise from computer? If it’s conected with usb, try another USB cable.

Are you using grounded power?

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. Sounds maddening! I’ve used Logic for about as long, but have never even heard of self noise coming out of Logic or any other recording software. What version are you on?

your DAW?

download a demo of another DAW and see if the noise goes away. mirror the set up.

but, you’re gonna have to be more specific about what is happening. “i have a noise” doesn’t really leave any room for troubleshooting.

it had to be coincidental…
i killed the ethernet setup and when to a thunderbolt connection.

thats killed the pitch.

but it was super weird. id turn logic on the pitch would happen. turn it off gone.
and i tired USB, Ether…different cables of each with no success.

i fixed the problem…but i still dont know the cause. it will haunt me.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggests. Tried em all. Had DP9 and SO4 in cue to try.

But thankfully Thunderbolt solved it.

Really couldnt stand to lose Logics environment. That shits gold.

2 Likes

Long time Logic User, never experienced any such issues with it, the high pitch sound is more likely a dodgy USB cable

USB Ethernet adapter into a USB-C port? Those things can generate a lot of EM radiation/interference. I have a usb 3.0 hub that knocks out the WiFi on my touch bar MBP.

Ya…it had to be coincidental…the pitch going on and off with launching and shutting down Logic. I thought there might be a sample rate issue. Like Logic being at 44 while sound card was 48 (not possible), or some sort of resource conflict.

I did try 5 diff USB cables. I hadnt had an issue with Logic before this last year. I thought it might be an issue running my card with Ethernet cable. Or something being out of date. Stumped.

Been talking with MOTU for the last year. They are stumped. Maybe its a pitch most people cant hear. Like i said i can hear those ultrasonic rat/insect repelling devices. I kinda hurts a little.

Anyways, i went back to and older setup. Running AVB into 8A into computer. Connected by Thunderbolt. Pitch is gone.

But the idea that a certain config has an issue will just drive me nuts.

Thanks all for replies.

@phaelam After reading the sympthoms, it may could be one of the fans (cpu, power-supply). If Logic is the only application which you use and if Logic drains some ressources at startup, it may be possible that the CPU gets hotter and/or needs more power and one of the fans spinning faster as regular, which may could generate a high pitched noise.

The noise eminates from the tweeters of my monitors. No fan noise. And i have a maxed out computer. So enough power.
I did notice woth certain configs the coreaudid highlites as (not responding) but audio still werks. So there is some kind of memory leak or something. Coreaudiod starts having over 3000 wakeup/sec

Coreaudiod seems stable while im using the thunderbolt cable.