Hidden Gems and Secret Weapons

Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer. I just love the thing.

4 Likes

Moog MF-101

Permut8 is weird as hell, I can spend hours playing around with it but have yet to put it to use in a tune.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, was on my fx list for ages but forgot about it!

Yes the independent pitches per loop (and midi transpose of them even individually) also independent start, stop, reverse of each track, exhaustive midi control options and the ability to easily and instantly send tracks to fx send or if you prefer individual output.

The main downside is that it relies on a specific type of CF which is based around a Hitachi chipset (designed for industrial use) these can be quite hard to find as they have long been discontinued and the max size iirc was 256mb (or it might be 512mb)

1 Like

As I’m not neighbors free…
SubPac + Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro + Sonarworks Headphone edition is truly a game changer to me

2 Likes

that‘s my impression from the demos i heard. kick sounds great, as well as the hihats and the modded snare

oh i will forget Softube Console 1 may be a real gem for the price on very good computer configuration. as it’s only 356€ now price drop for good on this one kind of crazy even if it’s not based on DSP internally

it’s like a push 2 for mixing :slight_smile: and it sounds great that’s the most important thing to say

There’s an offer if you plan to buy it :
Register a new Console 1 between January 1st and April 30th 2019, and you’ll not only get the included Solid State Logic SL 4000 E-series console emulation, but also our much admired British Class A.

To claim this special deal, email givememybca@softube.comafter registering your new Console 1, and tell us your iLok user ID. These requests are handled manually, so please be patient, but in the vast majority of cases your free British Class A license will be deposited within two working days.

3 Likes

Bitwig Studio. :wink:

4 Likes

Not so secret weapon, but helped to turn my Digitone into a studio “brain” if you will, Midi Solutions Quadra Thru. Love that little thing. Best $50 I’ve spent in awhile.

Also, if we are talking plugins, I use the Sanford Reverb quite a bit, the freeze function is nice. SGA 1556 as distortion unit and for glitching my percussion out I love the shuffler / reverser in Dblue Glitch as well as the old school plugin Livecut.

4 Likes

I know 150€ every year is not that much but Grrrrr
:stuck_out_tongue:

Looks as if drum notation might be one of your secret weapons. :grin: I’m assuming it often takes a backseat to Melody / harmony notation.

1 Like

It’s the most characterful and charming machine that I own.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really considering the Quadra Thru to clean up my setup. It’s an abomination right now

2 Likes

That all sounds fantastically useful - except the bit about the CF cards. Hmmm.

Fair enough; the BPM sync delay in the E/SMX-1s is extremely handy too, as is the Mod delay for that matter. Time to read the ER-1 manual for me!

The Alesis ion is a great virtual analog synth. It has a “drift” parameter that applies a random fluctuation to the pitch of each oscillator. The “drift” is one of my secret weapons.

The Yamaha TX81Z is a great synth. It’s a pain to program, for sure, but it has a very interesting sound. I have sold it now, but one time used a pair of them for FM drums.

The BBE Sonic Maximizer has helped me a lot in live situations. Right before a DI box, it can tighten things up. I didn’t care to use it in the studio much, but live it was great.

$4 USD tape deck from Goodwill that I use to bounce tracks to for it’s terrible wow/flutter.

Last, and not so secret, Reaktor/Max MSP/Pure Data. Having some kind of way to do whatever I want irrespective of my current tools allows me to find solutions to problems without a ton of time finding the pre-made solution.

4 Likes

I own the Alesis ion… not sure if it’s a secret weapon but it’s a blast to play with. You can use it as a vocoder also. For a synth it was ahead of its time. Hard to find in LA for some odd reason but my name is ionmatika so I had to have one. haha

2 Likes

I guess my “secret” weapon is a Turkish stringed instrument that I’ve spent nearly two decades developing skill on. :nerd_face:

Otherwise, I don’t know that there’s really “secrets”, just “tools”.

4 Likes

Never seen Filtatron before ! Looks and sounds great, very usable for a iPhone music tool. I can see how I could integrate this into my Ableton set up and maybe use a korg plugkey to get a midi controller to physically control it.

Agree a hardware replica would be dope!

1 Like