Hi AH users - How does AH make those VSTs sound?

Well the question is in the title. I’m interested to know if the AH is giving VSTs the extra juice that I think they often need. What’s your experience so far?

Did you see this one yet?

I think it does excellent things to vsts. Synth 1 is what I’ve used mostly, and I did some Operator experimenting, too, after I saw this video

It does sound good. I wonder what can be done with some of the better vsts. What has impressed me with some of the videos is how fast the AH is. I’m wondering if that speed is the same with plugins. If you watch Cuckoo’s demos you can appreciate the speed of the envelope and so on, so it doesn’t sound as if the source is passing through the AH. Does this make sense?

Going in and out of AH through analog IO will mean that there is no latency since it’s all analog.

But if using vsts the digital signal must at least be converted to analog in the audio interface and sent to the heat. If the heat is then monitored from an analog mixer you’d get away with one conversion latency. If monitored through the daw, the signal must be sent back to audio interface, converted to digital, run through daw, converted to analog one more time in the audio interface to hit the monitors resulting in 3 conversion latencies. The envelopes and such should react to the sound just as fast once it hits, so the integrity of the sound will be intact but there definately is latency to deal with to various degrees depending on monitoring, which can be brought to a minimum with a good interface and low buffers.

1 Like

Yes, it has nothing to do as to how “fast” AH is. It’s all about having a low latency roundtrip setup.

Any demos with more complex program material? Adding nonlinearity to sinewaves doesn’t reveal that much musically relevant intel wrt to the “betterizing” aspects IMO. Dunno if I could tell a diff between the stock ableton overdrive and the heat in that demo tbh