Help with routing?

so i have a monomachine. What im trying to do is run atleast 4 separate outputs in to my interface and then process those in my daw with individual effects on each. I also would like to be processing a microphone as well for live performances. So im not trying to use the effects machines. my interface only has two inputs. i have a live performance soon and need to be processing atleast 4 machines and a microphone with separate effects. Can i do this somehow with a 2 input interface or do i need gear? if so please keep in mind i dont have hundreds and hundreds to throw down. Thanks!

I don’t think that’s going to work without an interface with more inputs, or overdubbing a pair of outputs at a time.

If you were talking about using external effects, you could run AB dry, CD out through the effects, back in to the Monomachine inputs and out to the main AB mix via a thru machine. But even then you couldn’t add the mic as the MM only has two inputs.

Also you can’t really do separate mono outs on the MM, everything is processed in stereo pairs. Unless you are hard panning tracks with no fx on.

Also, are you talking about processing effects on the MM tracks in your DAW live? You might get some latency issues there… might be ok though.

does anyone here manage to split their 6 tracks onto a daw and put particular effects designated for each track? im not sure if this is possible

Shouldn’t you be able to run the different tracks out through the individual outputs? Hard pan left and right if need be. and treat each as a mono track?

1 Like

yeah definately. where would i put all those outputs into? my interface only has two inputs. and say i had a cable going from a b c and d.

You’ll need an interface with multiple inputs, or you’ll need to make multiple recording passes. If your DAW is acting as the sequencer, this should be pretty easy; if you’re using Song mode on the Monomachine, this should also be pretty easy (just run the song multiple times, muting every track except 1; then 2; then 3; etc). If you like to play patterns and be more improvising when playing the Monomachine it’ll require a bit of work.

In any case, without a multiple-input sound interface, it requires work as there’s nothing like Overbridge in the old silver beauty.

1 Like

Invest in your future. Invest in a Qu Pac

Thanks for the response! and yes i would be proccessing effects in my daw live because i dont have the money for external effects units and i dont want to sacrifice half of my tracks on neighbor tracks. Im considering the Behringer ADA8200 which i hopefully could link to my interface and have them communicate and therefore work many more inputs!

in case it helps, don’t forget you can use the bus system if your effect assignment overlaps sufficiently. for example, if all you want on two of your voices is compression and varied levels of delay, you could route both tracks through a single dx machine on bus cd or ef and sequence the dx track with plocked trigs. might be an option for you depending.

1 Like

[quote=“finalform, post:2, topic:37230, full:true”]Also you can’t really do separate mono outs on the MM, everything is processed in stereo pairs. Unless you are hard panning tracks with no fx on.
[/quote]

Actually, from the manual:

I haven’t tried it, but I’m considering it for routing machines to the Octatrack’s input channels…

3 Likes

I stand corrected!

definately. in the case i want say a gated reverb snare. a drawn out reverb pad and a flanger on drums. using up half of my machines on effects isnt preference. But i can always add those things after the recording process. Or look in to more inputs if need be for live performance. However so much can be done on the mm with minimal effects anyway!

How do you mean link it to your interface? That is an interface. :slight_smile: You could run more than one interface, I guess, if you have enough ports.

I’d suggest taking a look at Focusrite’s range of interfaces (Saffire Pro if you can use Thunderbolt, Scarlett if USB) too though, their preamps are really good (which matters since you’re running a mic in).

i believe the Behringer ADA8200 is a preamplifier which can be synced to my interface/daw. and i think that would be perfect i could run a bass guitar mic and my mono in multiple inputs in real time

i own a ESI MAYA-44 Soundcard with 2 physical Stereo inputs/outputs. i can split the 2 jacks to 4 mono inputs by the use of two Y adapters (chinch). that means, i would be able to connect 4 mono outputs of the Monomachine/Machinedrum with 6,3 to Chinch cables. you have to chose these audio inputs in your DAW later on. in Ableton Live it works quite uncomplicated. maybe this method will work with your interface too.

I can hard pan my EF Channel but thats it :frowning: AB and CD split it no matter how hard i pan left or right. I think this might be a malfunction

That’s good, right? You wanted them as separate channels. It sounds like those default to mono channels? Is that what you mean by “split it”? Or is the audio just coming out as dual mono? are the different voices coming out from multiple outputs? What are you doing with the routing?

I meant AB and CD dont split it at all. For example C going out to chorus pedal D going out to phaser pedal and then individual interface input. So if i hard pan right wanting only noise out of my phaser it still comes out of both at equal volume. However with my EF i can hard pan and split, silent on E full on F or vice versa. : ( i think this is just a machine malfunction i have to work around.

That is weird! I’ll have to mess around with this tonight and see what I can uncover(I’ve been musically/productionally lazy for the last while, I’m only recording all my gear into the computer on a single studio input)

Ok so i just factory reseted (which i SWEAR Ive tried before) And now everythings working!! Im excited but hope this doesnt happen again that id have to factory it again which clears all data! (luckily i didnt have any songs or kits saved anyway). Anyway thanks for being so helpful and willing to give feedback! where can i find ur tunes?

2 Likes