Help with programming this pattern in analog Rytm mkll

Can someone help me program this pattern?
My progress so far is:
Basically I need to figure out how to program 1/16T which I believe is done by setting the Rytms loop length to 48/64. However where I’m stuck is that it becomes the wrong BPM. Somehow if i set the bpm to 4/3 of what I want it to be, it’s approximately accurate. Additionally, if this is the case, how do I sync my other instruments then if I wanted to sequence a bass line for example… everything now gets played at the wrong speed. Anyone have experience programming triplets in the rytm and also integrating other instruments into your sequencer?

Pattern

1 Like

Set to 3/4 time signature (manual p. 45)?

I tried doing triplets (or in my case 12/8 time) yesterday, on an OT. I couldn’t work it out quickly and was too tired to want to push through the math and manuals.

Study group?

Wouldn’t that give 3 beats with 2^n divisions, rather than 4 beats of 3^n divisions?

Yes - I’ll try after breakfast. Maybe you need to put it to 3/2 - to let it play 6 beats (6/8) in the same duration in which it would play only 4 in 4/4.

Edit : I think both should work. You can think of triplets in 16th notes as 4×3=12 for a bar instead of 4×4=16, hence 3/4, or in 8th notes as 4×3=12 for one bar instead of 4×2=8, hence 3/2.

Sure it’s 12/24/48 overall, but turn the metronome on and it’ll mark three beats. Pretty sure the OP, and definitely myself, wanted a metronome count of four.

Your 3/2 suggestion works, I think.

I just tried pattern lengths of 12, 24 and 48, with the 3/2 multiplier. Leaving the metronome set at 4/4 gives the 12/8 feel I was after. I had to set the tempo at TWICE what I wanted when I used the 48 step version, but it let me do those rattling trap hats, so all good :slight_smile:

I just tried it out with scale to 48/48 and time signature 3/2. Works perfectly and synchronizes my other synths to the chosen BPM.

1 Like

I will try it tomorrow morning. If this works I will be so damn happy!

thank you for the diagram as well.

Not a very elaborate, but you can hear the AR in 48/48 (ts 3/2) and the melody on A4 in 32/32 (ts 1) in sync at 125 BPM.

PS: which book is the pattern from?

And another example - same configuration - a bit more in another genre… (distortion from AH)

It maybe me, but I’m just hearing this in 4/4…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Any reason why you’re not just using swing?

I think that’s because of the snare on the “one” of every second bar. But each individual bar is divided in 6.

If it works like that for you, and that’s how you hear it, go for it! :partying_face:

When I hear that though, I hear 4/4 with a shuffle on the 16ths… it might be more of a microtiming adjustment than just a shuffle, but one of them would get it sounding like that.

I like the sound of it too, btw. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, you can probably get a similar effect with swing. The OP’s initial question was how to program 6/8 or triplets on the AR sequencer. At least this made me better understand how time signatures work when using different time scales on various machines… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which book is this pattern from? Looks like a great read…

1 Like

yea, i was on phone earlier and the grid in the image wasnt showing on the small screen. i get it now.

books about programming drums are weird! i dunno if anyone did garage drums this way to a 16T grid but i admit it’s much easier to show a 16T grid than to show a regular 16 grid with diagrams of how certain notes are pushed off-grid with swing :slight_smile:

fwiw, here’s the same pattern without using the 16T grid, using swing on a regular 4/4 16-step grid instead… might be easier for OP to work this way

2 Likes

How do you think people did garage drums because that’s exactly what i’m looking to do. Like electro style and garage style drum beats and I’m having a hell of a time getting a proper groove.