Help with my setup - midi chain and sync chain

Hi!

Here’s my setup. Midi-chain is blue, audio is black and CV signals grey.

So I want

• DT to seq and control Se02
  • DN to seq and send midi to 0-Coast
  • Keystep to send notes to DT, DN, Se02 and 0-Coast
  • SQ1 to send CV to 0-Coast
  • DT, DN and MC-707 in sync (which gets SE02 and 0-Coast also in sync via DT seq)

In the setup I have now, I’m able to do most of this if I set Keystep as master clock, then DT->DN->MC 707. But when I want CV from SQ1 to 0-Coast, I have to set SQ1 as master clock, and also disconnect Keystep from the Sync-chain, since it has no midi thr.

Another problem with my current setup is that some strange pitch-shift thing occurs when keystep is master clock, (which is not the case when I set some of the other machines to be the master clock).

Is a Midi merger what I need? Then I could create one midi-chain that starts from Keystep sending midi notes, one midi-sync-chain that starts from SQ1, and one alternate midi-sync-chain that starts from MC-707. So all three midi-chains could then be merged together and pass into midi in on digitakt, and then to the other gear via midi thr. Which I guess, would let me connect Keystep to DT, DN and the analog synths, but also keeps everything in sync, and also lets me use SQ-1 as clock master when I want to send CV signals.

Thoughts?

I highly recommend anyone who is doing a little more complex MIDI Stuff, than either sequencing everything from one single device or only need a clock that is coming from exactly one source:
Check the marked for “smart” MIDI Hubs. The Blokas Midihub is one, MRCC from Conductive Labs is another one. Those are MIDI patchbays, where you define the routes of midi informations. That way you can block the Clock from some or to some devices, define what type of messages and channels are sent to what device. That way you not only have more than 16 channels (of that Elektron boxes take up a lot) but 16 per port.
On top of routing and filtering, those boxes often come with some more advanced midi-manipulation (like you can let the Hub convert Chords to an Arp on a special connection, do something like keyboard split, so send notes from C0 to B2 to Device A and C3 to B5 to Device B, or even better, Convert C3 to B5 to C0 to B2 before it is sent to Device B etc.
That makes MIDI Routing extremely powerful without you having to plug around Cables etc.

Okay, so after some more research I realize that keystep could after all be placed in the middle of a sync-chain.
Then the midi-chain could be SQ1 -> Kstep -> Mc707-> DT -> DN.

A bit strange really that SQ1 need to be master clock (if it’s going to get along with the rest) but at the same time the BPM/speed knob on the SQ1 makes it impossible to finely adjust to the desired bpm? :rofl:

Looks really interesting, although a bit overkill and expensive for my needs. Or maybe not.

id get this. sq1 midi out to key step in. key step midi out to the thru5 box. then out of thru5, one to each machines midi in.
is there no way to sequence the o-coast via midi?

after looking at the o- coast, id take the sq out of the equation completely. sequence it from DT with midi.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback! Yep, thats a way to handle it. Although I’m trying to figure out a solution where a splitter is not needed.

Yes the 0-Coast has a MIDI in, but the MIDI implementation is very limited, it pretty much just takes notes and velocity in. So I send MIDI notes and velocity to 0-Coast from Digitone, and do some CV sequencing (for other parameters) with SQ1.

I might maybe have found a solution.

On Roland MC707 it seems to be (maybe!) possible to have MIDI-notes from Keystep to it’s MIDI in port, and then at the same time (1) transmit the MIDI in from Keystep to one of its MIDI out ports, and (2) be the master clock and send a sync-signal out from the same MIDI out port. It this is possible, then I guess I could just send this to Digitakts MIDI in, and to everything else in the daisy chain via the thru ports on the elektron boxes.

Anyone that owns a MC 707 that may confirm if this works? I will try it in a couple of days :slight_smile: