Help with AR distortion

Hi :wave: Friends

I’ve been reading some threads on AR distortion but can’t seem to find any setting examples, I’ve heard some really heavy distortion coming out the AR in examples but I can’t seem to get it sounding really heavy, even clipping the compressor it just becomes ugly, can anyone share there settings for compression and distortion, I’m into really heavy fuzz overdriven sounds

Are you using the overdrive located on the amp page for each instrument? There are a lot of gainstaging options that can really effect the response/distortion of each sound. If you are working with samples, use the bit reduction as well to start dirtying things up. Also, the offset parameter on the master distortion heavily changes the response characteristics of the effect.

2 Likes

I really liked AR amp overdrive, filter, fx distortion / compressor, but any overdrive distortion deserves eq (and eventually noise gate) before, after.

1 Like

Thanks for the response I’m not really tweaking with the overdrive as I believe that is separate to to the distortion, but yeah good idea, will definitely try tweaking that, I’m more looking for settings for a heavy overall crush and distortion on the whole kit, to me it should be simple, clip the compression and tweak to distortion to taste, can’t seem to get it sounding good

I use quite some distortion on my AR. Heavy crunching is done with overdrive on individual tracks. With master distortion I add extra grit overall, but it s not so heavily gained there.

2 Likes

Really I will definitely look into overdrive more, any chance of you posting your settings, comp, dist, overdrive

The heavier stuff towards 7 minutes is what I’m trying to achieve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLRba_uehzE

The distortion your hearing is similar to the Distortion fx on the Arturia Drumbrute Impact. It adds character to the drum sound.

1 Like

Thanks… any tips to achieving this on the AR

Well follow the tips given already. And what I’m also hearing is heavy use of reverb before the master distortion. In the FX pages there is a parameter that lets you set the reverb before or after the distortion. By placing it before the distortion it gets crushed together with the rest, which gives a particular sound.

3 Likes

Oh and in all cases: the individual sounds play a big role in how they will sound distorted. So care has to be given to the sound design there to achieve particular effects.

1 Like

Ah awesome tip on the reverb thanks

1 Like

Thanks for that got her crushing hard now, lots of fun on the lfo s controlling symmetry, pre reverb, and filters

Nice, happy crunching! :wink:

1 Like