(Help) Strategies for utilizing a mixer with live looping on the Octatrack

I recently picked up a mixer as I’m trying to start including a DAW in my setup. I’m not sure if my goal is possible- and if it’s not I am looking for suggestions on how to get close to what I am aiming for.

I’d like to have all my instruments (synths, drum machines, Octatrack, guitar) running into the inputs on my mixer with each having their own channel in Ableton. And then have my mixer run into the Octatrack so that I could sample from channels on the mixer. From there I would like to be able to play a live set where I live loop various synths with the mixer running into the Octatrack. The obvious problem I keep running into is I’m no longer able to isolate the channels from the mixer to the Octatrack and everything gets looped together onto the Octatrack instead of the individual instruments.

What I’m looking at doing now is running some of my synths through the Octatrack and using thru-tracks to use the main and cue outs to channel the synths from the Octatrack to the mixer and have them for looping on flex/static machines as needed. The biggest apparent downsides to this is combining channels when going into the mixer, Needing a line in adapter to run guitar through the Octatrack if I want to loop guitar (instead of using the one built into the mixer), wasting tracks on thru machines, and I can’t run all my instruments into the Octatrack inputs- so I’d have to find alternative ways to utilize the other instruments in a live setup.

The gear I’m using:
Octatrack
OP-1
Arturia DrumBrute
Korg Minilogue
Moog Sub 37
Ableton 10 Suite
Zoom LiveTrak8 mixer
Electric Guitar setup

Am I missing something? Is there some wire formation I’m not thinking of that would be ideal for post-performance editing in a DAW (Ableton 10) combined with live looping/sampling improvisation across multiple instruments? I imagine I could work out configurations if I planned ahead, but I’d like to be able to hop on any instrument at any time and have the cords in a more permanent layout.

What sort of mixer is it? Does it have an aux out? If so, send the aux to the OT for sampling, then you can just choose which mixer channel get sent to the aux. Easy!

3 Likes

I don’t have the OT but have been considering one to use with my mixer in a very similar configuration as yours.

It seems like you could run all your instruments into your Zoom mixer including the OT. Configure the Zoom to act as a usb interface for Ableton. Then run 1 or more of the monitor outs into the OT. Then configure levels, mix, etc for mix a, b, and/or c on the Zoom. It sounds like you could even configure various ‘scenes’ on the Zoom to save various mixes as presets. The Zoom manual should give you all the particulars. I only quickly skimmed it.

A mixer with sub/group switches. 2 Aux sends can do the job but it’s not practical.

Mackie 1204 Alt 3/4 switch is interesting.
On my Samson SM10 the switch is Mix B.

1 Like