Help! Something about MKII is driving me crazy

Hi guys,
here’s the thing:
I was just having fun with my Octatrack MKII creating a few tracks so when I was pretty happy with that i saved the pattern, copied it and I started messing around with the copy.
It was just kick drum, snare, charleston, a bass line and a few slices of an organ playing chords.
As you probably already got I’m just a newbie so after messing around a little bit I ended up doing something that all of a sudden changed completely the trigs setting, their position, the number of the trigs and even reversing few of those in a random way on each track. All this happening though created something really interesting but what is really driving me crazy is not understanding what actually I did.
Is there anything I’ve been missing like some particular option in the octatrack that randomises what you already created in this particular way?
I hope it makes sense and if anyone out there could clarify this up for me it would be much appreciated.
Cheers

The only feature beside live recording which may influence all trigs on a track is shifting them forward or backward.

From the manual:

All trigs of a track can be shifted forwards or backwards on the sequencer. While in GRID RECORDING mode, hold down [FUNC] while pressing the [LEFT] or [RIGHT] arrow keys to perform the trig shift.

This shifting is done in a cyclic way. So when shifting right and a trig gets “shifted out” on the last possible trig position it gets inserted at the first trig position again.

But that shouldn’t look randomized nor does it create or delete trigs.

2 Likes

Any midi devices connected?

1 Like

Nope, no midi devices connected :frowning:

Yeah I know what you mean, unfortunately is not about that.
I’m trying to upload the audio files of the two patterns so maybe you can have a better idea about it but as a new member on this forum I’m not allowed to do it…
Thanks for your prompt reply though!

Changing scene or part maybe?
Shifting trigs possitions, creating random slices locks?
Changing/locking sample?

1 Like

You can’t save patterns but projects, parts, banks eventually.

Are you sure you didn’t switched / modified parts, sample slots allocations ?

1 Like

One thing that got me, coming from the Digi-boxes, is that sample slots and parameters aren’t saved per pattern. They can be saved to parts, though. You can also get around this via parameter-locking to individual trigs in a pattern. So, if you’re working on one pattern, copy it to a new pattern and make changes to parameter settings, sample, etc., your first pattern will probably sound much different than when you started. It’s a different workflow that takes some getting used to.

Then again, maybe you have something else entirely going on?

3 Likes

Maybe you found a great trick to randomize / reverse patterns! :loopy:
Don’t be afraid of weird things with OT at the beginning! If you can reproduce it, you can ask. :wink:

2 Likes