Help needed! // Digitone Patch cueing - Starts on offbeat

Hi!

I’m am new to Elektron, but i have noodled around with my digitone for a couple of weeks and I love it, but i have one problem and can’t seem to get around: Is there a way to make sure your next pattern doesn’t start on the offbeat?

I’m using my digitone in a live setup as a kind of “extra”-synth to make arpegiators and sequences I don’t have hands for playing. The digitone get an external clock and I’ve made an empty patch for every time i want the digitone to say nothing, because the clock is always running. But I find it kind of hard to cue a pattern correctly? Because i have to be really really precise on a 4th note to get the next pattern to start probably. If I’m just a little bit off, the next pattern will start on an offbeat.

I’ve set the empty patch’s M length to 2, so it doesn’t matter if we’re playing 4/4 all the time. I just want to cue it on 4, so the next pattern start at 1 without having to worrying about starting on a offbeat.

Anyone who know something of this? Have i missed something very essential? I would really appreciate the help thanks!

An empty patch or an empty pattern?

If you use an empty pattern, it should be possible to change pattern from an external device using MIDI Program Change messages. What external sequencer(s) are you using?

Alternatively, you could simply mute the DN and reintroduce it by unmuting whenever you want it to start sounding.

1 Like

Good advice from Peter. Shift +track buttons mute/unmute the 4 tracks.

Switching between patterns on my DN happen on the first beat of the bar by default (it’s not a setting I changed anyway). Maybe that option has been disabled on yours? if the option is there @PeterHanes will know where it is. Sounds like it’s just jumping to the new pattern when you select it rather than waiting until the end of the bar?

Thank you for your reply!

Empty pattern sorry, I’m still getting used to the elektron way haha. Right now I’m practicing at home, so I just send the clock from ableton to the Digitone. In the band I get the clock from the drummers sequencer TR-8s. I actually already use my behringer FCB1010 midiboard to send PC. But it is the same problem wether i press the midiboard or just press (func+patternX).

But the problem with muting is that you always have to play 4/4 and sometimes we improvise the dynamics and we add a ekstra beat or cut two beats or something like that, and then the arppegiator is suddenly off.

It also does on mine. The problem first occurs when i only have one beat on the empty pattern (2/16). Because i want to be able to start the next pattern with arp on 1 beats notice.

I actually think i just solved it. I just turned the page setting to only be pr track. I think the problem before occured because my steps was 8th notes and when my CH length was 2 8th notes (M length to 2), and the it suddenly had the possibility to start “when ever i wanted”, including on the offbeat.

2 Likes