HELP! MyVolts Ripcord is not working with my Digitakt and powerbank

Many thanks.
It is possible if I can run DT and Behringer crave the same power bank with other pot?

I don’t know, I’ve only run one Digitakt from it.

OK, many thanks.

That’s an interesting setup you have there with your Ripcord, what’s that extra you have going from end of the cord to the DT? I have tried both of mine plugged straight into the DT without the additional adaptor and neither work with either the Anker 10000 or 26000.

Oh, interesting…thats how my ripcord arrived, grey long cable and a short black cable/adapter. The round end of the grey long cable doesnt fit my Digitakt, the short black cable is an adapter…i presumed yours was the same. Although i just remember now i think there was a mix up when i ordered and it was for octatrak or something, cant quite remember…maybe they sent the extra adapter afterwards. Sorry it was over a year ago and we had a new baby then and not much sleep so i dont really recall. But , yeah, ive always used the small black cable adapter as the grey doesnt fit digitakt.

i had these issues all the time with gear that draws some more power (MPC ONE, Digitakt etc.). Especially the startup phase needs more. The ripcords are only up to 9W (12V • 0,75A) and sometimes can’t deliver enough power + the powerbank USBs are often only up to 2,1A at 5A = 10,5W.

For a bit more than the price of a ripcord (15€) + a decent powerbank (>30€) you can get the XTPower Powerbank with variable DC-out and USB-Outs etc. It works like a charm. I show it here with my mpc one (https://www.instagram.com/p/CKXxLeHquU5/).

12V DC-OUT directly into the Digitakt.

xtpower XT-20000QC3 around 60€ incl.

cheers, rick

1 Like

Did you test the cables with a load attached to it?

I’ve been using a Ripcord with a Digitone using a Bonai powerbank for months now with no issues. This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FL5XMX1

I had the same issue as others here when I first got a Ripcord. If your unit freezes while turning on, or just straight up won’t turn on (even when back on power supply), just leave it for 10-20 mins unpowered and it should be fine after that.

My original power bank could supposedly supply 2.5A but this wasn’t enough to boot the unit. I bought the one below which can supply 3A on every output, so I can run DT and DN on the same pack. It gives me a LOT of hours play time too.

the load reduces voltage output

No, I just plugged them in directly in the multimeter. I’m not expert in electronics, but the voltage shouldn’t vary depending on the load?

Birdcord cable! Works a treat with all my powerbanks. This USB malarkey is the reason I first signed up to this forum haha.

I received my Birdcord today, works as expected with two sepearte power banks (anker 10000 & 20100). Ive tried turning on/off about 10-15 times, all good. Not had a long session yet , but early indicators are much more reliable than the ripcord.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what it does.
You’re measuring a voltage regulator without any current flowing.
This means your measurements are invalid.

Here is a table of measurements from a comparable product:

50mA (12.4V output), 150mA,  83% efficiency
100ma (12.4V), 290mA in, 86% efficiency
200ma (12.3V): 570mA in, 86% efficiency
300ma (12.2V): 870mA in, 84% efficiency
500ma (12.1V): 1500mA in, 81% efficiency
700ma (11.4V): 2140mA in, 75% efficiency

Max current would be:
5 * 2140 / 11.4 = 938.6 mA
At 75% efficiency that would make:
938.6 * 0.75 = 703.9 mA
Which is almost exacly to the 700 mA spec of the product.

2 Likes

Birdcord arrived - works straight away with the Digitakt! Sorry Ripcord, your customer service is great but sadly neither of the cables you sent worked. Birdcord all the way. Dieter has been incredibly helpful with communications and made sure I knew where my Birdcord was throughout the journey.

1 Like

any recommendations for the A4 Mk2?

iam afraid that some underpowered usb source will fry some Analog components!?

As far as I’m aware there is no way to power the A4 via USB at present.

Yes, there is. Just not from most USB-A sockets.

You guys have been trying to convert 5V to 12V.
Since 5 volt usb charge ports max out at around 2000mA per the usb spec, you can never get more than 800 to 900mA at ~12V. And that is the theoretical max, so in reality the max is more around 700mA.

So, why use USB-A 5V when you can get 12V(or 20V) directly from USB-C?
https://www.amazon.com/Blind-SPOT-Adapter-Device-Battery/dp/B08CCX5S96
(small correction: USB power delivery 2.0 is actually 5V, 9V, 15V and 20V, USB hardware - Wikipedia)

Also, there are lots of laptop battery banks that have a DC output which usually goes from 12 to 19V.

Hi all, reporting back after some test I made together with MyVolt. I finally managed to get my Digitakt powered but it requires: 2x ripcords 12V, 1x Ripcord current combiner, 2x powerbanks (I used Anker and Poweradd 20kmah ones). In the process I ordered Birdcord so will test that when it arrives if it will work with only one bank and cord too.

1 Like

I have an update too - I got ANOTHER replacement RipCord (third one) and this mysteriously works perfectly! I can only say that from my experience the quality control at MyVolts isn’t very good for these particular RipCords but if you get a dud, keep trying until one arrives that works!