Help me fall in love with the A4 again!

the biggest difference for me is that filter 1 reduces the low frequencies when using resonance, moog style. that isn’t what i want, most of the time.

3 Likes

What does this annotation in the quoted manual page mean?

1 Like

Wow I could have written that! That’s the A4 magic.

A4 is a fundamentally different bestie than any other synth. It may or may not be for you but it’s not a good choice for a general analog synth. Both because it’s too complicated and because it’s real value is wasted for that.

1 Like

I’ve found I benefit from separating composing music time from the logistical stuff like sound design, setting up macros, and sound pool stuff etc. I run out of steam if I have to make a bass patch from scratch, then come up with a sequence…then come up with a pad…etc. etc. etc.
If you work those out a bit before you are writing the music, you have less of the tedious work to get through. Same is true of setting basic performance macros on your kits before writing and playing so you don’t destroy your patches tweaking the filter or whatever while jamming.
I say this all with a deep love for the A4 with all its strengths and weaknesses. I hope this helps. It’s also good to keep in mind that it might not fit your capacity for music making right now either. Better to try some changes before selling and buying new stuff to run into the same problems.

12 Likes

Oh man, I think I need to start taking notes from this thread. So much super useful information.

2 Likes

I made a demo track years ago when people were complaining about the A4 sound.

Personally I love the A4, but it’s not a Moog or a Roland, and sometime the sweet spots are very tough to find.

A couple of posts later in that thread I shared the patch settings. There too much overdrive for your classic 101 bass sound so filter 1 is sucking the low end. The basics of it aren’t far off though, especially if you can compress or EQ the sound a bit.

2 Likes

if bored, try FM mode (with LFOs)

2 Likes

That’s a really good idea! gonna restrict myself and see what happens

1 Like

I have used one, both real and clone. I think what I’m trying to get at here is I love the sound of the Roland square wave, which is going to be harder to replicate. I try to go through the presets for an inspiration start off point, but it seems to have too many timbre modulation. Weirdly I think I can get more out of the DN’s engine quicker

Thank you so much! I’ve been listening to a lot of mid-90s jungle that uses a distorted 101 square wave being overdriven at the preamp stage so this might really work!

That is really helpful. I know we all feel the grass is greener, but I’d definitely feel like I would regret selling it without really sitting down and trying to get everything I can out of it

1 Like

I’m desperately waiting for the full Big Sur update (still on Mojave here!)

1 Like

I think what I really meant is the actual harmonic tone of the 101 square wave. I didn’t know the differences between filter 1&2 as stated in this thread so I’m going to give that a go!

1 Like

Thank you for saying that.

I’ve liked the DN for getting low end subs/melodic baseline type stuff I’ve been listening to a lot of jungle/IDM and I think that’s reflecting on what sounds I want to get out of it

I think that is accurate, but the DN gets you to a good sound within a restricted sonic range and then you have to work harder to go beyond (though you may not need to; DN bass is quite impressive). The A4 is more of a wide-open field. Init is really basic, you can’t get anywhere good fast, but you can go further (but maybe not specifically in bass). Also, in terms of presets, the DN ones are better (and DK especially so) whereas the A4 factory presets are really underwhelming. I find more inspiration in some sound packs: Druma, Biopads, and the Taro offerings. Others are more mixed.

The A4 mk1 bass I find to be deep enuff
More than adequate pre eq
The SH101 was not a great bass synth compared to say the Pro 1 or Ob1

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies! I think some of the tips here have helped more than just me.

Here’s a good example of a baseline sound I love (101 square wave into an overdriven preamp at 31:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mAec3UIhp8&t=1934s

Why are people so obssessed about bass. Its not the best and its not the worst.

1 Like

Just my few cents on this …

IMO the square waves of many synths, particular if PWM is possible, should be able to generate similar sounds.

But … if I understand the basics of the SH-101 correctly, the synth has only “one VCO”, which provides two signals, square/pulse and saw, simultaneously. Both can be combined with a sub-oscillator in the “mixer section”.

Why pointing out “one VCO” and “mixer”? Because it makes a huge difference to all other synths, providing two or more VCOs and which allow the use of one waveform per each VCO only.

If we, as an example, combine the square/pulse signal and the saw of the SH-101 in the mixer, we have two signals, which are generated by the same VCO and this means that both waves/signals are in phase, all the time, even if the VCO shows fluctuations, which are typical for analogue circuits. This strong phase correlation generates particular timbres, which can’t be generated by mixing signals of two VCOs, which are typically not in phase.

If we want to re-create a typical SH-101 sound, which consists of both signals, we can’t do this IMO with an A4. The SH-101 will always sound crisp and defined, whereas the A4 will be more smooth and balanced, if two VCOs are used.

This said … if particular SH-101 sounds are needed, using a SH-101 or, as an example, an Arturia Brute oscillator may be a good idea.

4 Likes

I love this kind of knowledge being shared. Question: The Osc reset function of A4, wouldn’t that work for this problem?

1 Like