Help me fall in love with my OT before I part with it

I know there are limitations when using the sequencer polyphonically (or paraphonically), but one thing I like is how the notes are inputted as the number of semitones relative to the root note – personally I think more in terms of intervals than notes. I discover fun harmonies when using the OT for chords. Chord inversions are also easier this way (for me). I come from a guitar background, so maybe that’s why.

2 Likes

I think it could be considered paraphonic due to only being able to play multiple notes with the same exact timing (using only 1 track anyways)

thats true

What??? The Digitakt??? I was just yesterday wondering why I always felt that I just dislike how it sounds, but there was no logical explanation. Unless … it tampers the sound?!

Personally I don’t dislike it, but I do think everything coming out if it kind of sounds the same - which is weird for a sampler right?

Well, thanks for this info. I was just yesterday creating samples from an analogue mono synth (in my DAW, not using Digitakt’s sampling function), and then wondered why (when loaded into DT) it apparently sounds like warm … I don’t know … let’s say warm beer? (I don’t drink beer, but I’ve heard warm is considered the wrong temperature for beer.)

I’m already considering trying out the OT because most of the things the DT can do don’t inspire me in the long run. For example, I like BRR only at 0 and 255, and dislike the sound of every other value. Would prefer some kind of Distortion, which the OT seems to have plenty of, and the idea of adding more effects with the neighbor machine is appealing …

Edit: Just found this Anyone else feels a natural bump in the high frequencies from the Digitakt? - #59 by mzero gnaaaa

2 Likes

join

Re: Digitakt, I thought the bump was in the highs? Digitakt tends to make everything sound good not the opposite. I’d say if you’re not a fan of the DT sound then the OT might be even worse :sweat_smile: (edit: improved phrasing)

I was thinking about this earlier in a different thread! Most polyphonic sequencers only do notes and gates - the polyphony (multiple filters and EG’s) is up to the synth. I think referring to the OT as a paraphonic sequencer is a bit confusing, personally.

6 Likes

If I want my samples to be EQed, I do it myself :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think it EQ’s the samples (I could be wrong!) it’s just the colour of the Digitakt itself - if you’ve used an AH it’s a bit like there’s a tiny bit of low and high band applied - if anything I think it dulls some of the mids to get rid of mud.

I suspect whatever it’s doing will be the same on the Syntakt though! I think it’s some of the magic mixing sauce Elektron use in these boxes.

Either way it sucks if it’s ruining your samples intention/dynamics.

2 Likes

I did not say the Digitakt EQs samples.

Here are my personal impressions:

Digitakt = a bit muddy
Digitone = muddy (misses brilliance)
Syntakt = sharp (love it)
Analog Four = sharp (love it)

But it doesn’t matter, I have to like it, and it’s good to know that my impression about the Digitakt wasn’t wrong.

2 Likes

Got it! That’s interesting I definitely wouldn’t describe the DT as muddy! Be interested to hear if others think that - I consider it quite bright and punchy.

The OT sometimes has that criticism but tbh I think that’s mostly because it’s more difficult to mix on.

3 Likes

I prefer the OT sound profile over the DT profile. The DT is definitely a new old stock classic. Love it for what it does, but as all samplers, they have a profile.

The OT is fun, really fun. A self contained circus. I’ve had it for months and haven’t saved a single thing on it yet just because I’m still exploring.

5 Likes

A4 and syntakt have that same snappy openness. The circuitry is really a wonder.

You’ll appreciate the OTs subtle characteristic. It’s really easy to make things sound like they’re not from the Octatrack. Easier to cover more frequencies and bring out clarity.

3 Likes

This interested me btw, for full disclosure I did my first Digitone-only jam (ever!) the other day and this is what I did in post before exporting it.

Interested me to see that slight bump at 600hz where I’d expect there to be resonant frequencies with FM - not to say I mixed it well but if I were going to blindly throw an EQ at the Digitone without having thought about it I would have expected almost the opposite of this :rofl:

2 Likes

@peachesandbacon Well, are you in love with it yet?

YES. It reminds me of playing with a modular in some ways–I know what I’m doing, but the machine also has a few ideas of its own, and the end result is somehow both expected but also surprising–like a circus! Good analogy.

I haven’t saved anything much either–just setting things up and pouring audio in and watching it race around.

3 Likes

I’ve had the DT for a bit a couple of years back but I much prefer the OT. I don’t know if the DT still auto normalizes, but that’s one thing that bugged me with the sampling. Although sometimes it also lead to unexpected positive outcomes. :slight_smile:

With the OT I get out what I put in and it’s in stereo.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t find it muddy. I like that we have a couple filters on each track to clean stuff up and help out with the mix. One thing that kind of bothers me about the Digitakt is that it normalizes samples, no matter what. I would love the option to skip normalization… But I doubt that contributes to any muddiness.

And I also don’t think the Octatrack has bad sound quality :grin: I think you get what you put into it, really. Yeah, every sampler can have a “flavor”, but it’s like cooking with a cast iron skillet – the skillet is seasoned from years of what has been cooked on it, which can slightly affect the end result, but you’re still in charge of composing the meal.

Also:

I loved reading that. So true.

3 Likes

haha agree! I think that’s more to do with the alchemy of gain staging on the OT than anything else, but I don’t have any personal quality complaints.

And yea the self-contained circus is a great analogy for the OT :laughing: Complete with a car full of clowns

1 Like

But it doesn’t normalise samples one loads into it via Elektron Transfer …?

1 Like