Help me choose between these mixers . .

Hi,
I currently have a Mackie 1202 VLZ4 which I’ve had for a few months. It works great but I’ve come to realise I need more AUX Sends and I would benefit from USB connectivity to my laptop. So my requirements have changed.

I’m looking at the Alto Live 1604 and the Soundcraft Signature 16. Any insight would be helpful.

Or - alternatives.

These are the things I’m after:-

At least 8 mono inputs
At least 3 stereo inputs
4 Aux Sends
USB connectivity to laptop

I would really appreciate some guidance as I don’t want to purchase and change again like I am doing with the 1202 VLZ4.

Many thanks,
Adam

Does anyone use either of these?

Or is there an alternative that I’m overlooking?

Thanks

At the moment, I’m using a pair of Allen & HEath Zed-18 mixers. They have only the most rudimentary USB capabilities though - I think they’re limited to a single 16-bit stereo signal (I could be wrong about that, as I’ve never even plugged a USB cable into the back - I don’t use it as an interface, only an analogue mixer).

Another one that might be worth considering is the Tascam Model 24. Like the Soundcraft, it offers 22 inputs, full analogue channel strips, and multitrack recording and mixing over USB. It also can act as a standalone multitrack SD recorder. Only two aux sends (plus FX), but it offers an additional Sub output pair. I haven’t used it myself, but it might be worth a look.

It’s hard to find any testimonials about the Alto brand.

You might consider looking at some existing forum topics for some related information:

Many thanks for your replies and pointers; I was away camping and mulling these things in my head. It’s the times away from my music room that I tend to think about amending it to be honest.

Anyway . . .

I wanted the 4 sends for the 4 effects devices that I use; on the Mackie I only had 2 sends and this was sometimes restrictive.

I also wanted to be able to take a number of the individual outs from my DRM Mkiii and process them. I also needed 4 stereo ins - 2 x OTs; 1 x DN; and one pair for the remaing stereo outs from the DRM.

USB wise, I wanted to get Ableton sounds into the OTs for sampling and also have the ability to use the external effects on some sounds from Ableton.

While considering all this in a tent in Germany, an Alto 1604 appeared on eBay for a good price so I hit the purchase button.

It’s currently working really well. Having to rethink things a little to create a foundation that works. As with every change, there is a settling period where you realise possibilities and restrictions. I’m currently finding my way.

The mixer looks and feels and performs well. The audio from Ableton is only 16 bit but is relatively quick.

However, am already thinking how individual outs from Ableton would be great with quicker and higher quality audio. Noww that would be another lump of money!

A basic question regarding the Alto from a relative newbie …

You are getting separate channels into Ableton via usb?

Thanks

No - One single stream fed into Ableton.

That’s my next idea of an upgrade - multiple ins to Ableton. Cost is the obstacle I think.

Not sure of a worthy candidate although I saw a Yamaha mixer the other day that ticked the box.

1 Like