Help: how to sync M:S tempo to Arturia Keystep

Hi there,

I am trying to sync my M:S to my Arturia Keystep in order to sync the tempo (I’d like to have the M:S as the main source to send tempo to the Keystep). Connections currently are as follows:

Connection:

• M:S (Midi Out/Thru) > Keystep (Sync In) (I also tried to use the MIDI In)

Here’s the current settings.

M:S MIDI Sync:

• Clk In (OFF)
  • Clk Out (ON)
  • PCH In (OFF)
  • PCH Out (OFF)

M:S Out Chan:

• PCH Out > 1

M:S MIDI Ports:

• Out to (M+U)
  • Out/Thru (OUT)

Keystep:

• MIDI Channel (1)

I saw that there’s a MIDI Control Center application for the Keystep, but I am not able to instal that on my laptop. So any sollutions to get this working without the application are more than welcome!

Hi, I’ve setup my DT and KS 37 in that manner:

1. DIP switches on KS to MIDI (enables KS to follow the DT Clock Master)

2: DT MIDI Out => KS MIDI in (for transport control of KS’ Arpeggiator and Clock messages)

1. KS MIDI out to DT’s MIDI In (notes)

2. DT’s Auto channel is set to KS’ MIDI channel

3. DT MIDI Settings: It receives nothing than notes only: no PgChg, no CCs, no clock, no transport but sends all…

With this setting my KS is synced by my DT and I can ‘live record’ KS’ arpeggios on every track.

Should work with M:S as well…

2 Likes

Yeah you want to make sure you have the little tabby things on the back set to “MIDI” or “external”. They can be kinda confusing so just double check those and you should be able to send clock from your M:S to your keystep via MIDI (NOT Sync) pretty easily

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciated a lot. I have the switches set to MIDI, but it still doesn’t work. I just can’t seem to sync the tempos. I’d like the arpeggiater on the keystep to sync with the tempo on the M:S but it just doesn’t respond to BPM changes on the M:S (also with the M:S in play mode).

Strange!
Sorry, then you need a M:S expert because the DT / KS 37 combo worked instantly like a charm for me.

Wow that’s weird. My only suggestion would be to double check the tabby things, like i said they can be confusing I spent a coupe of weeks in your situation only to realize i had them backwards, and finally, be sure to check the polarity of the Midi Out on your M:S. It can do both (at least the cycles can) and if it’s inverted it won’t work.