Help! Erased all my patterns

I was just asking around here about sampling and impatiently I was pushing button around and I seemed to have erased everything I’ve worked on for past months! Now they all sound like presets.

What I did…
-Went into QUICKMODE and just entered 001-PRESETS under LOAD SANPSHOT menu.

Can I get back to my patterns with kits I saved? Are they all gone forever?

Help pls. Thanks.

You probably just loaded the wrong kit. Check to see if your kit is available (should be, if you saved it).

Just checked and all my kits are gone too. Everything. I had about 30 kits saved. The patterns are sounding like factory setting…

Sounds like you’ve loaded the wrong snapshot. Check to see if this is the case. It’s been said before but t really sounds to me like you need read the manual.

1 Like

Concur, sounds like wrong snapshot.

1 Like

I am beginning to think MD is too complicated for me though building simple things were so hands on.

There is one another unlocked sanpshot at the bottom- maybe that’s the one?

Is MD your first elektron?

Yep. I love it but can’t fully use it.

Dont sell it, the MD is the easiest and most straightforward of all the Elektron machines. You are going to miss out on endless amount of fun.

But dude - you sound pretty impatient, you need to give it some time. The MD is very deep but give it 2-3 days and you will be making beats you never dreamed of…

Seriously - doesnt sound like you like to read manuals which unfortunately… is necessary with Elektron boxes :nerd_face:

I would recommend not to rush yourself, take your time. Spend some time just getting to know how the file management system works as a priority. In the first month or so do not worry to much about losing patterns etc. as this will happen due to forgetting to save etc. Complete your learning and testing to get your workflow down first. Once you are comofrtable with the machine then start building your tracks out, and learn how to backup your creations.

I bought a year ago, but only used from time to time. Just basic patterns and kits. I read the manual but only the parts I needed. Yeah, I don’t want to sell it since it’s discontinued, maybe I’ll give it another try with the manual, take some time with it.

I am like not even familiar with ‘snapshot’ terminology.

I checked other snapshots but they all sounding new to me. I guess all my stuff is gone then? :frowning:

Thanks for helping btw.

Your snapshot cannot be gone unless you actively deleted it.

1 Like

Good to know! will get back to reading the manual from start to finish. aha.

A snapshot is like a ‘floppy disk’ if you have seen old sampler videos. If you don’t put the right floppy disk in, you won’t get your sounds. Hope this makes sense. Load the original snapshot and you should be back in business, assuming you saved the snapshot before.

Unfortunately I think they are gone - I’ve only been saving kits. I’ve never saved a snapshot, didn’t know about that part.
Loaded other few locked snapshots to check but none were mine.

Good time to wipe it clean and start fresh!
And we are here to make, rather than to have, no?

1 Like

If QUICK MODE is set to LOAD SNAPSHOT then, when you loaded Snapshot 001, the contents of Snapshot 001 was loaded in and overwrote whatever data (patterns, kits, songs) was in the MD at the time and they are gone forever.

Consider changing QUICK MODE to CHANGE SNAPSHOT instead; this will save the MD’s data to a Snapshot before loading the new Snapshot.

Make a habit of saving the MD’s memory to a Snapshot; it’s like making a backup of your data. Never save your data into Snapshot 001 because Snapshot 001 will be overwritten by factory presets if you ever do a FACTORY RESET.

5 Likes

Thanks Peter for this clear answer.
Yeah, the Quickmode thing happened by accident. Just pushed the button out of curiosity.
I will look up how to save back up as a snapshot.
Initial panic’s gone and losing works is not a big deal, I guess. I work in a fairly simple way, nothing precious there. Recorded some on may mac, too.

2 Likes