Help. Digitone Keys screen looks like its detaching?

its not the physical text, it’s an optical illusion.

You’re saying that for dn keys the screen and frame come as one piece? that makes sense then.

That’s what I’m thinking. No idea how that would pass QC, but I can’t think of any good reason to have it on there, unless the screen is meant to be flush with the bezel maybe.

Yeah this is standard for many OLED/LCD screens unless they’re custom made to fit into another enclosure.

when you say frame do you mean the entire faceplate of the device? I guess I’m confused, like it shows in my picture the frame I’m referring to is welded to the faceplate on the regular digitone

So maybe its as easy as opening up, removing the film and closing it back up? I’m waiting on support reply of course, but am hoping its an easy fix. I’d rather fix it and keep it then have to return…

maybe you can politely ask this infrequent forum member @t if he took any other pictures when he was inside his machine, this was the only internal shot I could find but it shows the bottom board
Two Coldfire MCF5441’s inside - Elektron Gear / Digitone/Digitone Keys - Elektronauts
and you need to see the top half to see if the screen is seperate and part of the faceplate as was suggested, or if there is something more like a normal desktop digitone going on. either way, if it is not adhesed between the bezel and the frame it would not be difficult, if it is, you could still (outside of the viewing area) use a brand new extra sharp exacto knife to carefully slice around the part in the viewing area so it doesn’t leave a fringe or refract light inside because that would be distracting.

When we talk about “can this be repaired” we’re literally talking about a piece of reynolds wrap, it’s not the end of the world but I know it sucks for you who just bought the thing. Don’t lose heart just yet.

Look at the bottom of the keyboard, on the elektron manufacturers serial number sticker, in the top right corner it should say the year and w with a number after it like 2021w37, that would mean the year 2021 and the 37th week. You have 3 years of warranty from the date there even if you don’t have a receipt, if you do have a receipt from original purchase your warranty extends 3 years from that date.

I’d wait to hear back, just think of this as a trial period to see if you like the thing and don’t let the seller off the hook until you get it worked out, was this a reverb purchase?

The new oled screens come with protective film and they obviously forgot to remove it. Just open it up and peel it off.

No, there’s another frame around the screen itself, which is what you’re seeing in the photos. The frame welded to the faceplate is covered by the black parts of the window.

Yes, I think so. It may be a bit fiddly to open up, but should be a pretty straightforward fix.

1 Like

I just looked at my digitone and I think they’re correct, it’s probably only on the screen. The board with the screen is attached to the metal plate from behind so you won’t be able to access it without first removing the top and then removing the board from behind but if you can use a screwdriver (hex driver) you can probably do this. theres youtube content about this with other elektron devices, it’s pretty similar, just the number of screws changes mostly.

my guess is that it’s being pulled up by the adhesive on the back of the screen that I mentioned so you still want to try and do this without ripping the plastic for best results.

You know that little acrylic screen [on the front] prob has a film on both sides. It may have gotten left on the inside, and heat made it droop down to the screen. It obviously looks like something that needs to be peeled off.

honestly I’m not sure why I’m getting involved

for the love.

but seriously that plastic is clinging to his actual oled screen, thats not droop

I’m saying droop down to the screen. Just look at the shape. There’s no way something would come from the screen, go up and into/on the face screen.

…anyways, I feel quite confident it will/can be resolved simply.

1 Like

this is what’s important.

Looks like they forgot to remove the protective foil from the oled part after soldering it in before they assembled the unit.

Everything works normally when you turn it on?

1 Like

Hey! It powers on OK , but I havent been able to really put it through its paces, have been working all day. I got a reply back from support and filled them in, so hopefully ill be hearing back soon…

Yes. That must have been missed in production, sorry for that. If you feel comfortable with that kind of work, just unscrew the panel and remove the protective film from the display. Try to observe standard ESD precautions and work in a fairly dust free environment so that no new dust is collected on the display. Ask me if you have any further questions and I’ll try to help :totes:

If you do not feel comfortable with performing this operation, user care will help you sort it out.

Ps. The panel is a bit finicky to remove and install, be careful in the area between the keyboard and “box” part of the machine.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I forgot an important detail…since the panel is mounted to the user interface PCBAs you need to unscrew those PCBAs form the panel before removing the film. In order to simplify that process, remove all knob caps before unscrewing the panel.

There are four cables that need to be removed before completely removing the panel assembly from the bottom, just take a photo before removing them and it shouldn’t be a problem to re-insert them.

2 Likes

Not 100% I know what this means… hopefully pretty straight forward. I really dont like opening up electronics and fiddling around. Hopefully they’ll have some photos or videos? We’ll see…

I’m in the middle of doing a little opening of digi boxes as part of some, ah, community service let’s call it. I am positive I have seen other threads on here and also stuff on youtube where people take apart digitones and digitakts, but I did take a couple specific pictures for you so you will have a better idea of what you need to do. I won’t be able to upload them until later but it should give you something to go off of. The specimen in question is my digitakt not my digitone but after having taken both of them apart a couple times I can tell you that in every way you are concerned with, they are the exact same. I’ll find the video for you if I can about the guy aligning the faceplate but he kind of talks a lot and talks about things that are irrelevant to the work he is doing and the extracted info is pretty much as I think I described above where you can use spacers between the outer buttons to help make sure things are properly aligned. anyways I’ll update this later I guess so if you want to do it yourself, you’ll have a bit better idea of what youre doing.