Help deciphering midi mystery

Hello all. My apologies to the mods if this post isn’t in the exact right place. I was hoping someone could help me figure something out. I have the DN and I am trying to get it working with my Minibrute 2S, Drumbrute Impact, and OP-1. I just purchased a USB Midi hub made by Doremidi so that I could attempt introducing the OP-1 into this setup. Prior to this I have had and am having absolutely no problem assigning either piece of Arturia gear to whatever midi track I choose. The problem I am running into is that I’m seemingly only able to communicate from the DN to the OP-1 by connecting the DN midi out directly to the USB midi hub. My typical set up was to have DN midi out to Minibrute, and than Minibrute midi out to Drumbrute. For some reason when I connect the Drumbrute midi out to the midi in of the USB midi hub the OP-1 is connected to, the DN isn’t communicating with the OP-1. What is even stranger is that if I set the transpose function of the Drumbrute to MIDI and hit play on the DN, the OP-1 tape starts playing. What am I missing or getting wrong? I am now trapped in cable/setting hell and slowly beginning to lose my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Splitting your post into paragraphs would make it more legible.

Do you mean “transport” instead of “transpose”?

So the question is how to pass the MIDI messages from the DN through the two Arturia instruments to the USB MIDI Host.

The M2S has a setting that will convert its MIDI Out port into a MIDI Thru port.

It seems like the DI should pass MIDI clock messages to its MIDI Out port, if nothing else.

What kind of communication do you want from the DN to the OP-1?

2 Likes

Hi, and welcome!

Sounds like SYNC is enabled in the TEMPO page. Check the COM + OPT pages to setup MIDI control.

Sounds about right. Your previous daisy-chain made use of the MIDI Outs, but now you also need MIDI Thru, for the DN to communicate directly with the OP-1, to send note data, etc. The Arturias don’t have both MIDI Out & MIDI Thru ports, nor do they have a MIDI Merge function for its MIDI Outs. Try a MIDI Thru box from Kenton, MIDI Solutions, etc. Connect DN MIDI Out to this, then connect its Outs to your Arturias and the USB MIDI Host box.

1 Like

Do this.

1 Like

Cannot read your response.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/search_dir.html?sw=Midi+thru&smcs=73dedf_5184

Apparently I can’t even internet today.
Thank you for everyone’s replies. Combining a bit from each suggestion, I was able to at least get the DN, MB2S, and OP-1 working together, with the DN as my sequencer and centerpiece. ((DN MIDI>2S IN>MIDI/USB hub in>OP-1))For clarification, that was my intention.
Looking at a few of the Kenton THRU boxes I don’t see that they seem to have the USB port I need for the OP-1 to receive midi? Am I looking at the wrong products?
I’m wondering if I had a midi thru to split the midi out from the DN if that would be a possible solution. (EDIT: this is obviously what you all suggested utilizing the THRU box for. My brain wires are crossed with these MIDI cables stressing out over this lol)I have to admit I’m now also considering selling the OP-1 as a result of this. I love how unique it is and it’s certainly fun to use but it doesn’t seem to play well with other devices. I’ve only had the DN for a week and I’m in love and already getting what I hear is a common desire to switch to all Elektron gear.

Yeah, syncing OP-1’s tape transport to MIDI is another headache to deal with. It’s sloppy as hell. I sold mine since it didn’t play well with others. As a standalone it’s great though.

Is DN able to send notes (and sequence) the OP-1 in this configuration? If so, then the MB2S has a MIDI Merge function that I’m not aware of.

Just to save you more headaches, and if you still plan on buying a MIDI Thru box, I’d recommend the Kenton, since it comes with a power supply. (The MIDI Solutions gets its power from the host’s MIDI port). I’ve found the MIDI Solutions to choke on the amount of MIDI data that the Elektrons send. And yes, the MIDI Thru box would be placed immediately after your main sequencer (DN).

I just double checked and yes, the DN is able to both send and receive notes to the OP-1 as well as sequence in this config. Now how’s this for another OP-1 induced headache? Because the USB midi host is connected to the same outlet as my mixer, it’s creating a ground loop and causing some seriously hellish high pitched feedback. Easily fixed but still super annoying! Thanks again for everyone’s help!

1 Like

The Minibrute 2S’s setting to turn its Out into a Thru is described in the manual, pages 147-148.

1 Like

Thanks. Scratch that, I had a brain fart.

I’m trying to type an update and it’s only popping up in a weirdly formatted box when I post it?

But than that worked. I swear technology has it out for me right now!

Update on the issue with the audio feedback. I am hearing a high pitched tone when my USB MIDI host is powered on. When everyone helped me figure this set up out the other day I was able to just plug the MIDI host in to a different power outlet, as it was part of a daisy chain with my mixer as research pointed me towards a ground loop being created between the mixer and the MIDI host as the likely culprit. 
Yesterday I sat down to funk on some jams and lo and behold when I fired up the rig, the high pitched feedback had returned. I tried plugging the USB MIDI host into every other power outlet available in this room, attempted different power cycles, etc. and nothing would alleviate the issue. I even tried every possible order I could think of as far as turning everything on as I know that can cause weird issues and is not my area of expertise. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated. 
Later yesterday evening, I fired up the rig again and suddenly the feedback had disappeared and no variables had been changed. Now I’m writing this update as I pull my hair out because the feedback has returned and I’ve again tried everything I can possibly think of as a solution, both power cycling, and connecting the USB MIDI host. 
I figured I would see if anyone’s eyes would catch this in the existing thread here before perhaps either pleading my case elsewhere OR throwing the OP-1 into a ditch/selling it. Thank you for listening.