Help deciding between Rytm and Octatrack

Does the OT can do a kind of FX send/return with external gear ? I mean for exemple I have a drum loop sampled on one track, and I want to resample it with AH processing on it, I have to go out of OT and come back, but without affecting other track. It is possible ?

Yes by using the “cue mutes track” feature, the individual cue for each track can be sent externally for processing but you’ll have to use ones or two of the four audio in’s as the returns. This is a very great trick in my opinion.

1 Like

Mmmh nice. Look like a feature I want :slight_smile:

So, which camp is winning your heart? The Church of Octa or the Rytm Cult? :wink:

2 Likes

AR is a neat drum machine. You’ll lay beats and some basslines.

OT is anything, freeform, constatntly moving. You’ll find thousands of way to use it.

Why I prefer octatrack is that it inspires, pushes me constantly to new directions, making my music better. I’ve yet to find a box so fresh everytime you turn it on.

1 Like

The OTs raison d’etre really is its ability to live sample. With 8 buffers you can resample a sound on one track, and layer it with a live recording, or quickly live record one sound and free up a track for another one, all while the sequencer is still playing.

If you do not plan to make use of this, then I would not bother with the OT personally. Its workflow is pretty cumbersome compared to the digitakt and rytm. Its really for those who like to dive deep into (re)sampling imo. The midi sequencing is also worth considering, though you could also look at the digitakt for that.

The rytm mk2 is in my view the device that combines the best elements of all other elektrons. Its the most “all-in-one” box they make.

You get the super quick and intuitive workflow of the digitakt, excellent performance options on par with the octatrack, a high amount of buttons and shortcuts for functions unique to the analog mk2 series, a sort of “analog heat lite” per track with the built in multimode filter, analog drive and the master analog distortion and analog compressor. You get some excellent analog sound engines too.

Most important of all, the analog series allow you to preview p-locked trigs by holding them and hitting a pad. No need to endlessly loop 4 bars waiting for a trig to sound. Makes slicing up a break easier than on the Octatrack

4 Likes

This.

1 Like

If you’re looking to do BoC meets Robyn imo the OT is your best fit. Neither of those uses filthy, slamming techno beats and you can do much more with samples with the OT.

For your style, you might even want to consider the A4 (which is also great at drums) before the AR. And A4 mkis are ridiculously cheap these days.

1 Like

I currently have an OT MKii for a few more weeks before the return window is closed, so I wanted to make sure the Rytm wasn’t the right choice. I’m going to keep messing with it and then try the AR. I feel like the AR is probably right as a first machine that handles my rhythmic needs but the OT seems like it can handle any and everything… I just hope I can get a handle on it during the next 3-4 weeks!

OK that’s good to know. I’ve seen them pretty inexpensive on Craigslist, so I’ll keep this in mind.

1 Like