Help! Analog Four Mk1 stopped working

I got an Mk1 A4 the other day, updated it with new OS 1.40A. Started to program some new sounds into it, then suddenly the screen went blank all the graphics vanished, all the leds went out, nothing works, no functions.

Opened the A4 up and checked the ribbon connectors, uncoupled them and then reconnected both ribbons, put back together, turned on and still nothing. Screen comes on but no graphics, display is blank.

Have raised a ticket with elektron, this machine is out of warranty, so it might be a bit costly to get repaired.

Maybe the PSU failed, did you check out the connection on the PSU itself?

hope it is working now mate.

I would also guess that the power supply died.

If PSU failed then the screen wouldn’t be illuminated i think. The A4 does power up, it switches on just nothing else works. Are there any UK techs that repair elektron stuff, if not. I will have to send it to sweden to elektron to be repaired.

However after leaving it powered up for over an hour, the coiltronics vp4 seems to be quite cool to the touch. I did run a multimeter test on the power supply input and i’m getting the 12.2v, so the external psu is working.

This does sound like a board inter-connection problem. Hopefully Elektron will get back to you with advice.

Yes, it may well be that this is the problem, but i don’t know! Yes hopefully Elektron do get back to me!

Edit: Elektron got back to me, it’s looking a bit grim, well expensive too. One thing that was mentioned it could be a total failure of the CPU which would cost 405GBP to replace and that’s not including repair time or shipping etc. Other mentions is the power inductor or the inter-connects might need replaced!

I might as well buy another for that cost of repairs, as s/hand A4 Mk1’s are cheap enough!