Headphones for small heads

hi everybody!

i love posting my personal questions in this forum, there is sooo much epic knowledge floating around !!!

so here is my question …

looking for bedroom production monitor closed headphones

(dont really want to take these with me when i am commuting or in the park, just sweaty and bulky , then I use my sure se215 in ear)

(for my A4 / MD, or focusrite scarlett 2i4 ext usb soundcard)

I have a rather small head and when I put on Beyerdynamics Dt880 for example, the headphone rests on top of my ears even when I use the smalles head band size setting …

the only headphones I found were not too small were a few AKGs especially the K267 Tiesto.

so, who of you is in the same boat and can recommend a high quality not to hard to power (like 500 Ohms) smallish headphone?

I tried prox 40 in my local store and cought rabies and lice, only the tiesto seemed to fit nicely, but I am not a fan of the sound wheel where you can adjust the sound to studio or live …

thanks for all answers!

I Hope you were joking about that last part! That’s pretty gnarly.

Have you tried Sennheiser HD25’s? They adjust down pretty small and are great closed phones. The aluminum ones are even better sounding.

hi TSV .

the sennheise you mentioned are “on ear” which I find more annoying because I dont like the pressure …

i would like “over ear” headphones, but i dont want them to rest on my ears, rahter on my head (small head that is)

I also had the Superlux HD631 … couldnt wear them, not even with home made plastic wrap cushioning. (sold them for 25 euro on ebay)

I’d say stick with the Beyer Dynamics. I love my DT770s

May I suggest wearing a beanie/skullcap while using the headphones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I may be partial to wearing beanies/hats but I do enjoy the comfort of having some fabric between the headphones and my scalp.

Great thread @TrabanT!
I also have a small dome.
Do you know what size baseball cap you wear. I’m 6 7/8 or 7 depending on my haircut.
I currently have the AIAIAI TMA-1 and they are very small, but sit on ear like you mentioned. These things really hurt my hears TBH, wearing glasses makes it worse. As your ears are squished onto plastic hooks for extra pain lol.
For studio use I find my beyerdynamic DT770 Pro very comfortable.
If you find something let us other pea heads know lol!!!

Hey! Another one for 770’s.
I’ve tried the hat and touque(beanie,winter hat) but find it weird.
Maybe I should try a doo-rag haha!

+1 for doo-rag

lol i have the tma-1’s as well fuckin feel like my brain is getting squished when they’re on without a beanie

7 1/8 here :confused:

+1 for the hat approach…whenever I try to wear headphones when I have a winter hat on (studio gets a little cold sometimes), the headphones never fit.

Sony MDR7506. I have a smallish head and they are easy to adjust.

all the beyerdynamics, seemed not to fit me … i will try the sony mdr 7506 … and see how they sit …

beany or hats is not really an option for me … but glad to see that no every body in here is a big head :wink: — *g

will let you now what happens

thanks again for all the nice posts especially from play-records :stuck_out_tongue:

Not only great sounding but incredibly comfy and can wear them hours without feeling uncomfortable, are excellent over the ear, closed, and isolating, and most importantly, they give you true frequency flat response without over-emphasized bass and work great for my hardware synths: Sennheiser HD280 Pro. They usually are around $99. USD and all parts are replaceable, however, have owned my set for years and would replace with same in heart beat. I only use them when doing intense sound design on my hardware synths in wee hours of morning as to not offend my fellow townhouse neighbors.
During ‘normal people hours’ I use the new JBL LSR308 Monitors…highly recommended as well.
Whatever you do, do not get those terrible…crap-tastic Dr. Dre Beats headphones. Two cups connected with a string would be an improvement over them! LOL!